[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Flacco

isleseeya

I actually saw him play on TV this last year in the 1-AA playoffs. He looked really good. Of course, that was 1-AA. None the less, he seemed to be the prototypical pocket passer. Tall, slow, and accurate.

Ravens need alot of help at WR so Flacco will be in for a very tough year if he does start ...however probably a good pick with Ryan gone

He is a work in progress.

A friend and Delaware alum sent me this-

Flacco came to Delaware after losing out on the QB competition as a Sophomore at Pitt. Somehow, he must’ve ended up in Dave Wannestadt’s dog house ‘cause for nearly a year while Flacco was at UD, Wanny wouldn’t release Flacco from his Pitt scholarship (so Flacco was paying his own way while playing as a Junior at UD). I’ve seen Flacco rated as high as the #4 Senior QB coming into this year’s draft. On most boards, he’s neck-and-neck with Colt Brennan from Hawaii. At this time, I’d look for him to be drafted mid-3rd round (unless he impresses scouts even more at the combines). I think his star is still rising, so a late 2nd round isn’t out of the question. Should definitely be gone by the 4th round.

Joe’s got outstanding QB size (6’6”) and a strong arm. May have the best combination of size and arm strength in the draft… and when you think about it, the rest can be taught.

Most common pro comparison I hear is to Ben Rothlesberger (sp?), but with perhaps a stronger arm. Needs to work on his mobility in the pocket, but I’ve seen him often make absolutely clutch throws while “in the grasp” of a blitzing LB or Safety. So he’s tough and is willing to take a hit.

Big play ability. Needs to also work on accuracy, but for a college QB, he’s pretty darn accurate. The I-AA QB’s at New Hampshire and Northern Iowa garnered more awards than Flacco… but they aren’t nearly the pro-prospect that Joe is. Another strength is that he is renowned for not getting rattled. Maintains an even keel… never getting too excited or too complacent. A good Field General.

I wouldn’t call him a “can’t miss” NFL prospect… I mean, there’s gotta be a reason why he didn’t win the job at woeful Pitt. But under the right tutelage has the potential to be a great one. In the annals of UD Football History, he may not hold all the records (only played for two years)… but he has his share and he’s better than NFL pro’s (and UD Alums) Scott Brunner and Rich Gannon (remember… Gannon was a mere journeyman until he hit his stride in Oakland). For a few years, he’d be a nice back up to an established QB like McNabb in Philly (or wherever he goes). Considering his lack of mobility, might be more suited for the West Coast offense, even though UD runs a spread.

This is a wonderful pick, coming from a Steelers fan HAHAHAHA. He has the strenth of Ryan Leaf with the mind of Gio Carmazzi.

BUSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Way to early, way!!

Guest Chappy
This is a wonderful pick, coming from a Steelers fan HAHAHAHA. He has the strenth of Ryan Leaf with the mind of Gio Carmazzi.

BUSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Way to early, way!!

Yeah, I probably agree to a degree. Flacco is an exciting prospect because of his elite size and arm strength, as well as good accuracy and mobility. He didn't get a chance to show it off in a Delaware offense that utilizes a lot of short throws. He transfered from Pitt as there were some issues there. Flacco didn't post eye-popping numbers against inferior defenses, and there are questions about whether he is a capable leader. Delaware ran a pretty simple system and Flacco will have to prove he can absorb a complex NFL playbook. His mechanics are also pretty sloppy. He could end up as a starter, but he's a long way away. The tools are there, but he's a long-term project who will need to be coached up in a situation where a QB is badly needed. Things could get ugly in Baltimore.

Yeah, I probably agree to a degree. Flacco is an exciting prospect because of his elite size and arm strength, as well as good accuracy and mobility. He didn't get a chance to show it off in a Delaware offense that utilizes a lot of short throws. He transfered from Pitt as there were some issues there. Flacco didn't post eye-popping numbers against inferior defenses, and there are questions about whether he is a capable leader. Delaware ran a pretty simple system and Flacco will have to prove he can absorb a complex NFL playbook. His mechanics are also pretty sloppy. He could end up as a starter, but he's a long way away. The tools are there, but he's a long-term project who will need to be coached up in a situation where a QB is badly needed. Things could get ugly in Baltimore.

So other than being taller and slower, how is he different than Kyle Boller??

He can't throw the football thru the goalposts while on his knees, which we all know is a vital test of a QB. :wacko:

Also unlike Boller, the jury is completely out NFL future-wise.

Just way too many question marks. To me, it seems Newsome bought a little too much of what Cam Cameron was selling and allowed himself to fall for Flacco. I'll be surprised if Flacco starts more games than Boller.

The rest of their draft was pretty solid, though -- including the Fabian Washington trade.

Just way too many question marks. To me, it seems Newsome bought a little too much of what Cam Cameron was selling and allowed himself to fall for Flacco. I'll be surprised if Flacco starts more games than Boller.

The rest of their draft was pretty solid, though -- including the Fabian Washington trade.

That could very well be. He is a project and they reached picking him there.

He's got a big arm, but he's got a lot to learn, and he needs to warm up his fast ball for the bigs - he likes to feather the ball in a lot, making for a very catchable football, but also allowing DBs more recovery time. He could be a good QB, but I wouldn't expect much out of him for his first 2 years at least, more probably 3 years - meaning he'll get tagged as a bust by a lot of people. I do think if he is forced into action early because of Boller's ineptitude that his career could suffer substantially if he doesn't have much success.

This is exactly what I was thinking... didn't Boller get drafted because of his above average arm strength exhibited by him chucking the ball really, really far?

And when it comes to QBs, no, it's not as easy as just 'teaching' the rest.

This is exactly what I was thinking... didn't Boller get drafted because of his above average arm strength exhibited by him chucking the ball really, really far?

And when it comes to QBs, no, it's not as easy as just 'teaching' the rest.

+1