[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Dallas Cowboys Draft thread

Cowboyz1

Well the Cowboys do the expected and grab Felix Jones. Nice pick but I did not expect Mendenhall to be there also. I like the pick. Good runner and returner. Solid kid.

1. Round 1, Pick 22 (22) (From Browns) Felix Jones RB 6'0" 200 Arkansas

2. Round 1, Pick 25 (25) (From Seahawks) Mike Jenkins CB 6'0" 200 South Florida

3. Round 2, Pick 30 (61) Martellus Bennett TE 6'6" 259 Texas A&M

4. Round 4, Pick 23 (122) (From Browns) Tashard Choice RB 5'11" 215 Georgia Tech

5. Round 5, Pick 8 (143) (From Bears through Bills and Jaguars) Orlando Scandrick CB 5'10" 192 Boise State

6. Round 6, Pick 1 (167) (From Dolphins) Erik Walden DE 6'2" 238 Middle Tennessee State

Edited by Cowboyz1

Followed up by Mike Jenkins with a trade with Seattle. Don't know about this pick. My gut is feeling is like Felix Jones may turn out to be a rerun of Julius Jones instead of Steven Jackson. Haven't seen much of Jenkins but I hear he is a solid corner.

1. Felix Jones RB

2. Mike Jenkins CB

Guest Chappy

I think the Cowboys did very well for themselves here. They grabbed the right RB compliment to Marion Barber in Felix Jones and got a 2 for 1 as he's also a very solid kick returner. Felix Jones is a homerun hitter, sort of like Reggie Bush (and not Mendenhall). However, unlike Bush, Jones played against the top defenses in the SEC as opposed to the softer ones in the Pac-10. Jones is the kind of RB who can make plays out of seemingly nothing and is deadly in space. He's had the highest career per-carry average of the past decade. Jones could really be a "Star" in this tandem situation.

As for CB, Mike Jenkins, he is a pure cover corner who has great size, instincts, speed and explosiveness. From what I've heard/read, he can be a bit soft against the run. He also had the right items on his personal resume to be a Cowboy with an arrest last summer for misdemeanor disorderly conduct. Some experts had Jenkins as the #1 overall CB in this draft.

Edited by Chappy

Guest Chappy
Odd #3 Pick...... We did not need a TE. Curtis can fill Fasano's shoes.... There were a couple of WRs that would of looked alot better at 61

Manningham? Doucet?

1. Felix Jones RB

2. Mike Jenkins CB

3. Martellus Bennett

Well taking the best TE in this draft fills in the hole left by Fasano and I have to think this is an upgrade at the position behind Witten. Bennett catches the ball with his hands and has great control and positions himself very well in routes. Excelent blocker with his 6' 6" frame will blend right end to a already huge O line. Nice pick.

Now if we could just find a WR Gem tommorow and another CB I think we are in good shape.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Guest Chappy
1. Felix Jones RB

2. Mike Jenkins CB

3. Martellus Bennett

Well taking the best TE in this draft fills in the hole left by Fasano and I have to think this is an upgrade at the position behind Witten. Bennett catches the ball with his hands and has great control and positions himself very well in routes. Excelent blocker with his 6' 6" frame will blend right end to a already huge O line. Nice pick.

Now if we could just find a WR Gem tommorow and another CB I think we are in good shape.

From what I've read, Bennett has good hands but doesn't make the difficult catches like ones below his waist. I've also read that he plays with a very high pad level and that he doesn't necessarily have the natural ability to be a good blocker. IMO, the Bennett pick was a waste as TE wasn't really a need for the Cowboys and they really could've gone WR (Manningham or Doucet) there. However, I think that Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins were both excellent selections.

Edited by Chappy

Guest Chappy
I hope Dallas address's WR in round 3, and if it isnt Doucet or Manningham, A Arrington is the pick.

Adrian Arrington from Michigan? He's got some good height but is a bit thin. From what I've seen/read, he's got some good hands and experience in a pro-style offense. However, he just doesn't have much speed and he's not elusive enough to make tacklers miss. As I said before he's thin and can be pushed around in press coverage. He was arrested for domestic violence a year ago but charges were dropped. Even though defenses could focus on Manningham on the other side of the field, Arrington was never a consistent producer. He will not be a "Star" and at best be an average possession receiver.

What do you think of Steve Johnson-Kentucky, Davone Bess-Hawaii, Paul Hubbard-Wisconsin and a sneaky little pick in Bruce Hocker-Duquesne?

Edited by Chappy

1. Felix Jones RB will outproduce Mccrackhead by a large margin. Behind Mendenhall and Smith he is the best back in this draft.

2. Mike Jenkins CB meh

3. Martellus Bennett is the best te in this draft. He is a punishing blocker and great jump ball guy. He can be an elite te in a couple of years once he gets Fran off of his brain.

I rate this draft a solid A.

Guest Chappy
1. Felix Jones RB will outproduce Mccrackhead by a large margin. Behind Mendenhall and Smith he is the best back in this draft.

2. Mike Jenkins CB meh

3. Martellus Bennett is the best te in this draft. He is a punishing blocker and great jump ball guy. He can be an elite te in a couple of years once he gets Fran off of his brain.

I rate this draft a solid A.

I saw some player rankings out there that had Felix Jones ranked as the #2 RB, Mike Jenkins as the #1 CB and Martellus Bennett as the #1 TE. The Cowboys did have a solid draft, I'm just not sure you can give them an A as taking Bennett at the end of the 2nd was probably not the best usage of the pick.

I saw some player rankings out there that had Felix Jones ranked as the #2 RB, Mike Jenkins as the #1 CB and Martellus Bennett as the #1 TE. The Cowboys did have a solid draft, I'm just not sure you can give them an A as taking Bennett at the end of the 2nd was probably not the best usage of the pick.

You can never have enough elite skill position guys. In two years he will be better than Witten is Witten is now, if not better. You have no clue of how talented he is. If he had gone to sipu or OU he would be a top-5 pick.

Guest Chappy
You can never have enough elite skill position guys. In two years he will be better than Witten is Witten is now, if not better. You have no clue of how talented he is. If he had gone to sipu or OU he would be a top-5 pick.

Really?!?!? Wow, you're right then, I have no idea of his true talent. Too bad the Broncos didn't get him.

Yo Marion... might want to just sign now. Very interesting pick of Choice and the most offense-heavy draft by the Cowboys in many, many years.

In two years he will be better than Witten is Witten is now, if not better. You have no clue of how talented he is. If he had gone to sipu or OU he would be a top-5 pick.

:wacko: Witten is one of the 2 best players at his position. You're now officially insane. I will make any bet you want that Bennett does not overtake Witten, barring injury.

Not sure why you feel the need to chime in on a Cowboys thread. :wacko:

It's not so much the need to chime in because it's the cowboys. I just think that Polk is taking it a bit too far. Jason Witten is at worst the second best TE in the entire league. You can make a case that he's the best in the league, and it's hard to argue with that. To think Bennett will overtake him and be the best TE in the league in two years is a stretch in my opinion.