[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YOUR Draft Day Grades for your team on day one

keggerz

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Wolverine homer, I can assure you that Matt Ryan is on another level than Henne. People talk all day about Ryan's turnovers, completion percentage... blah blah blah

Matt Ryan did what he did with inferior talent around him. Matt Ryan graded out by most experts right up there with Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. For all the highlight plays you see from Henne, there are 2-3 attempts that are way off target. He has mental lapses on the field as well. He's got heart, but he's nowhere near Ryan. Ryan is a good pick. Hindsight is 20/20 and people can say they should have taken Dorsey 1st then waited for Brohm or Henne, but not many thought they'd fall that far...

I think the Falcons are doing really well, and with this pick, Matt Ryan becomes the franchise quarterback and the face of the organization... This also closes the Mike Vick chapter finally.

I think being a Michigan homer has blinded you to the talent surrounding Henne. True he had a great tackle but he also had a slow/small rb and a slow wr as well. I imagine across the board Michigan has more talent than bc but I imagine it is only slighly more.

I'm giving the Bears an A for OT Chris Williams and RB Matt Forte.' These players will fill obvious needs.

My final grade for their entire draft will depend in part on what they do at QB tomorrow, if anything. I was hoping they would try to trade up into the lower part of the second round to get Henne or Brohm. :D The remaining quarterbacks all look like major projects. It looks like the Bears will gut it out with Grossman and Orton again worst case scenario. :wacko:

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Disagree, even though Dorsey will be a stud they should have addressed their pitiful offense.

:wacko:

Wrong.

They have a good defense and a pathetic offense.

By spending two of their first three picks on defense, they did so in an effort to keep themselves in more games than they'd have been otherwise.

They have a pitiful offense and a pitiful defense... They had to fix one side of the pitiful, no?

Apologies to Chiefs fans for saying they're pitiful...

No apologies needed. Heading into the draft, and after the Jared Allen trade, I thought the Chiefs would win 1-2 games next year. After the first three picks in the draft, I'm feeling quite a bit more positive. 2-3 wins for next year is my current guess.

I think being a Michigan homer has blinded you to the talent surrounding Henne. True he had a great tackle but he also had a slow/small rb and a slow wr as well. I imagine across the board Michigan has more talent than bc but I imagine it is only slighly more.

Mike Hart is one of the most prolific runningbacks in college football. The numbers don't lie, and to say Mario Manningham is slow is a little insane. Watch the game tape, he can fetch a ball. He beat DB's on OSU, Penn State and a lot of other high caliber competition. Henne was one of my favorite quarterbacks ever in college, and I had high hopes. I'm a homer, but absolutely not blinded. Henne is what he is. A good, but not great QB. Certainly not in the same class with Ryan.

No apologies needed. Heading into the draft, and after the Jared Allen trade, I thought the Chiefs would win 1-2 games next year. After the first three picks in the draft, I'm feeling quite a bit more positive. 2-3 wins for next year is my current guess.

You should be feeling more positive... I was wondering if King Carl vacated his position and let someone with logic and reason draft today.

Wrong.

They have a good defense and a pathetic offense.

By spending two of their first three picks on defense, they did so in an effort to keep themselves in more games than they'd have been otherwise.

So applying a numeric value I would say that before the draft today they were probably a 1 on offense and a 5 on defense. They had the opportunity to draft some game changing wr's and rb's. Heck, they could have traded down and gotten more picks which is truly what they needed. As I said Dorsey is a stud and could be a hof someday. i think he is that good. But in the grand scheme they have raised their d to maybe a 6 or 6.5 and their offense is still a 1 and a year older. I would have gone whole hog on offense and had a Browns type squad. Now they appear to be the Baltimore Ravens, good d but a sesame street offense. Now they could redeem themselves on day 2 but I don't think there is that much talent left available at wr. I guess they could draft a good rb of which there are many available and deal LJ for more picks for a lot more wr's but I do not see that happening.

LJs contract and attitude (and last years' production) will keep him from going anywhere. It is folly to think otherwise.

I would rather have a 3rd and 4th round wr for him. Do you not think that attainable?

Bills - A so far. 2 big needs for the team. Arguably the best CB in the draft, and for where Buffalo had rated, one of the best WRs in the draft.

Strange, no WRs taken in round 1, then 9 in round 2.

Edited by Piranha

Could not be happier with the Bears first 2 picks. Avahynise...

NOD! After talking to you this am, we seemed to be on the same page. Still wish we could have gotten Mendenhall , but at least he's not in Morris!

Steelers - A

couldnt have really asked for anything more with our picks. mendenhall was by far the best talent available.. sweed will please our 100 million dollar man. i wonder though if we would have taken groves if jacksonville didnt trade up. but i think we were pretty set on getting ben his receiver.

Thompson's conservative philosophy earned him jeers last year from the Packers faithful gathered for a draft party at Lambeau Field. And his decision to trade down and take a receiver apparently didn't go over very well this year.

"I'll be darned if they didn't boo me again a little bit," Thompson joked. "I'm going to have to quit going down there." :wacko:

It takes Ted's pick awhile to sink in. I'll wait unitl the draft is over. I like the picks so far. Moving down and getting a 4th from the Jets was a good move.

You could have also went with the follow... :D:D:lol::D

Name nine better! Now in reality, saying it is a top ten unit (I would not go top five), is saying it is in the top third. Top third out of 32 teams :brew:. Chambers and VJax are a formidable pair. They clearly opened things up for LT and Gates once they got rollingas a group.

In terms of need, those two picks have been used on players (one already proven pro bowl caliber) that have or will contribute immediately on a team that is as deep as any of the top five. That is good use of your draft picks.

Other than, " :lol::D:):D " . (brilliant discussion I might add. nice ZERO reasoning :wacko: ) , make a case for the dis!

Never mind! you don't have one! :lol:yawn:

Eagles D-

The Eagles could have stayed right where they started and got OT Jeff Otah (19th) and WR DeSean Jackson (49th). Both major needs.

I believe that if Reid had his way the Eagles would have McNabb, Westbrook, and 50 DTs on the team.

Von

F-

I could not agree more. Who is going to replace Tre Thomas (assuming he plays 16 games)? You saw what happened to McNabb against the NYG when they put in that 2nd round OT stiff from USC....

I just dont get it.

Andy was probably too busy finishing up his 2nd cheesesteak when the 19 pick was on the clock.

Broncos - C

Eddie Royal? Really? When a better version of the same player in DeSean jackson is still on the board? And ahead of a safety in Tyrell Johnson that they BADLY need? I don't like it.

Clady is fine, however, hence the C.

F-

I could not agree more. Who is going to replace Tre Thomas (assuming he plays 16 games)? You saw what happened to McNabb against the NYG when they put in that 2nd round OT stiff from USC....

I just dont get it.

Andy was probably too busy finishing up his 2nd cheesesteak when the 19 pick was on the clock.

Not sure how can you give your team a D of F when they pick up a #1 from next year that could potentially be pretty high... Plus, they got a good player where they picked.

Not sure how can you give your team a D of F when they pick up a #1 from next year that could potentially be pretty high... Plus, they got a good player where they picked.

They're Eagles fans. They always brace for the worst.

Cowboys - B+

I would have preferred that they draft Mendenhall over Jones since he is a more complete, every-down style of RB while Felix will be used in a Reggie Bush type of role. What the drafting of Jones means to me is that they are committing to Marion Barber being their main guy for the foreseeable future. Look for a deal to get done with him before this season ends.

The CB pick of Jenkins is a great one. I was a bit apprehensive when the trade up was announced, since I liked Flowers and Cason also, and thought that moving up was unnecessary. Fortunately, the Cowboys didn't have to give up 4.1 to do it, so I'm fine with the move.

Bennett in the 2nd round is a head scratcher, especially when you traded away Fasano, a 2nd rounder a few years ago and Witten is your go to guy for the next 3-4 years. The only reason I can think that they went with him over a WR is that he was just rated very high on their board and they felt they were getting a bargain. Besides, when no WR goes in the 1st round, that does tell you something about the talent level at the position.

Sorry,, but I disagree. I give them a solid B, and pending what they do with the extra picks they received, perhaps an "A".

Passing on Otah was tough. The Eagles stated they really liked him , and I think they had to be bowled over to trade the pick. Carolina bowled them over. The trade was a no-brianer.

Had you been told, prior to the draft, that the Eagles would have taken Jackson in the first round and a solid defensive tackle in the second round, you would have been pretty happy, I think. Well, the Eagles drafted Jackson and Laws, brought in more speed and quickness and versatility with 2nd-year player Booker (who they loved in last year's draft), AND added a first-round draft pick in 2009.

Pretty hard to give them a D.

+100 :wacko:

No. I wanted the Eagles to get Otah. The Eagles need two OTs, and grabbing a Otah would have given him time to grow during this year. For next year the Eagles could have looked at free-agency or trade for a veteran OT for their second needed spot.

Well at least with how Reid is ruining this team, he will eventually give the Eagles a top 5 first rounder and hopefully be out the door (so he doesn't trade it away for another 2nd round DT).

Von

My man is drinking some serious Haterade.

My man is drinking some serious Haterade.

And the draft has just started. It's the start of round 3.

Remaining Eagles picks-

Round 3, Pick 17 (80)

Round 4, Pick 10 (109) (From Panthers)

Round 4, Pick 18 (117) (From Vikings)

Round 4, Pick 32 (131) (Compensatory selection)

Round 6, Pick 18 (184)

Round 6, Pick 25 (191) (From Browns)

Round 6, Pick 34 (200) (Compensatory selection)

Round 6, Pick 37 (203) (Compensatory selection)

Round 7, Pick 23 (230) (From Seahawks)

I'm relatively happy with the Lions picks. OL and LB are/were the most gigantic of holes on a team that had many notable ones. I'm extraordinarily happy that Millen didn't take a skill position player (I was dreading a Mendenhall pick at 1.15). I've heard several questions about the players themselves - did we pick the right OL and LB? I don't follow college ball enough to comment. I will say that both guys seem to be the blue-collar, hard-working types that Marinelli loves, and if that inflated their draft position a bit, that's fine with me.

Overall Grade: B

Grade for Not Making Mel Kiper Happy: A+

Both of their NFL profiles aren't very encouraging. Gosder Cherilus is a mauler RT that got dominated his senior year when they moved him to LT. Goes on to say poor lateral movement, poor footwork, and counldn't get down the snap count which resulted in a slew of penalties. So we drafted a rookie version of George Foster? You can't make this poopy up! I guess this pick goes with wanting to become a run heavy team...to bad they don't have any running backs. I don't get it with Otah still on the board and I would have rather drafted Mendenhall or Felix Jones too.

Dizon's positive analysis starts with "Lacks size, strength and speed..." Yipee! So he's fits our typical and forgettable mold of small speedy linebackers...except he doesn't have the speed! Goes on to say he could be moved to safety...don't we already have like 7 safeties?! The Lions needed a MLB, this guy is not it.

Looks like the Lions just traded up two spots to draft Kevin Smith. I like that pick, but it's the only bright spot so far.

You are nuts, Washington got 3 very nice players. And they certainly could use some help at WR. Malcom Kelly is going to be a playmaker at the next level.

I agree. I think Kelly is gonna be a beast as a pro.

Sorry to disagree with ya but the Redskins need to draft youth in their D-line instead of blowing picks on WRs.

Maybe its just me, but Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El were not gonna scare anyone, regardless of the QB.

:wacko:

I will say that as frustrating as it was seeing the Eagles trade down and down I think they had a very good day one...not sure what letter grade i would give it yet but probably an A to B+

Yeah, I feel your pain. All of the good players available and your team trades down. The Texans seem to do it quite oftenn as well. I don't mind it if they still get a good player, but IMO Duane Brown is still a little bit of a project. He may turn out to be a good OT in time, but I would have rathered them take a more establised player in the first, especially with the CBs that were available. They only had one pick in the first day, so with that being said, I give them a C.

Name nine better! Now in reality, saying it is a top ten unit (I would not go top five), is saying it is in the top third. Top third out of 32 teams :D. Chambers and VJax are a formidable pair. They clearly opened things up for LT and Gates once they got rollingas a group.

In terms of need, those two picks have been used on players (one already proven pro bowl caliber) that have or will contribute immediately on a team that is as deep as any of the top five. That is good use of your draft picks.

Other than, " yawn::brew::D:D " . (brilliant discussion I might add. nice ZERO reasoning :wacko: ) , make a case for the dis!

Never mind! you don't have one! :lol::D

Sensitive this morning, McBoog? You said said one of the best in the league, and now you're backpeddling to say top third... Whatever makes you feel better. I think you're way off base in your calling Chambers pro bowl caliber as well. I don't view Jackson nor Chambers as a game changer or a pro bowl caliber wide receiver. You've back peddled off of you initial statement of them having one of the best to top third, but I think they're just outside of the top third. I think they have average at best receivers.

But no particular order...

Broncos-Marshall is top a 6 wr. DJax and Stokley are time tested vets

Bengals - Chad Johnson is still on the bengals. Housh and Johnson are elite.

Browns- Edwards, Stallworth and Jerevicious

Colts- Wayne, Harrison, Gonzo

Patriots- Moss and Welker

Steelers-Ward, Holmes, Sweed

Cardinals-Boldin and Fitz are elite.

Panthers-Smith, Hackett, and Moosh are a great mix.

Cowboys-Terrell Owens is an elite talent, which allows Crayton and the role players to produce.

Lions- Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey

Packers- Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones...

Saints-Marquis Colston and CO

Teams like the Jets and Texans could arguably be ahead of them as well.