[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YOUR Draft Day Grades for your team on day one

keggerz

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a classic Angelo pick: the guy's been hurt for a bit, but if he hadn't been dinged is seen by many as a steal. But was replacing Gilmore really a 4th round priority or whatever? Um, no.

Agree.

The Angelo pick that really bugs me is Marcus Harrison. He is coming off a knee injury and had a drug arrest. Anyone else reminded of Tank Johnson here? :wacko:

They addressed most of their major needs, except QB. I guess Rex gets one last shot.

1st round = Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU = A+ (top DT in the draft)

1st round = Branden Albert, OG/OT, Virginia = A/A+ (one of top two or three OT/OG in the draft)

2nd round = Brandon Flowers, CB, VaTech = A (one of top 3-5 CBs in the draft)

3rd round = Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas = C- (while I'm sure some think he was a 'value pick', the only saving grace to this pick is that we do need a RB in case something happens to LJ; unfortunately, Charles figures to be a situational RB in the NFL, not an every-down sort of RB, which is what we need to back-up LJ)

3rd round = Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee = D (we lost Jason Dunn and Gonzo is getting old; Cottam is very raw; seems like a reach by at least one round)

3rd round = DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State = F (while I'm sure some think he was some kind of a 'value pick', we don't need another young safety)

4th round = Will Franklin, WR, Missouri = A (soft hands, very fast; I like this pick a lot)

5th round = Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State = C (we needed to try to get two CBs, however, having drafted a S two rounds prior tells me that one of the two picks was a total waste, so I'll give Mr. Carr the benefit of the doubt)

6th round = Barry Richardson, OT/OG, Clemson = C (we needed another big body for the O-line, whether Richardson was the best guy or not, I have no idea ... therefore, this pick is a "meh" grade)

6th round = Kevin Robinson, WR/KR, Utah State = F (we just got our fast WR with soft hands two rounds prior; we can pick up a KR more easily than we can a DL or OL help)

7th round = Brian Johnston, DE, Gardner-Webb = F (this smells like a gigantic prayer...boom or bust; should have addressed another DL-man earlier rather than making what feels like such a huge reach)

7th round = Mike Merritt, TE, Central Florida = F (blocking TE ... so, is Merritt to replace Dunn and the hope is that Cottam will replace Gonzo?)

Day 1 = A+

Day 2 = F

OVERALL = C- (too many missed opportunities on day two)

Here's what could have been:

1.05 = Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

1.15 = Branden Albert, OT/OG, Virginia

2.04 = Brandon Flowers, CB, VaTech

3.10 = Pat Sims, DT, Auburn (CIN picked at 3.14)

3.13 = Jeremy Zuttah, OG/C, Rutgers (TB picked at 3.20)

3.19 = Chad Reinhart, OG/OT, Northern Iowa (WAS picked at 3.33)

4.06 = Will Franklin, WR, Missouri (KC picked at 4.06)

5.05 = Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego St (TB picked at 5.25)

6.04 = Xavier Omon, RB, NW Missouri St (BUF picked at 6.13) - stronger and bigger than Jamaal Charles

6.16 = Robert Henderson, DE, Southern Miss (NYG picked at 6.33)

7.03 = Cary Williams, CB, Washburn (TEN picked at 7.22)

7.32 = Drew Radovich, OG/OT, USC (undrafted)

4 o-line

3 d-line

2 cb

1 qb

1 wr

1 rb

...then sign a bunch of undrafted 'in-line' blocking TEs for jumbo packages (i.e., the Jason Dunn role)...and undrafted DEs...and kick returners...

Edited by muck

Yeah, I'm pissed now. I though maybe they would move some picks on day 2 for a WR or maybe Jason Taylor. They did nothing. They added another pick or two for next year and drafted 9-10 players of which probably only 3-5 will make the team. What a waste. They could have drafted Otah who could have paid off within a year or a S or WR who could pay off immediately. I would have loved if they took DeSean Jacksom & Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly.

They better make a move to get a #1 WR. If not, they might as well trade McNabb ASAP while they can get somethign good for him.

They may still make a move of Lito + Brown for Roy, Chad, or Quan. It's a long off-season and I don't think Jackson and Booker are what DF McNabb had in mind when he said "playmakers"...

1st round = Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU = A+ (top DT in the draft)

1st round = Branden Albert, OG/OT, Virginia = A/A+ (one of top two or three OT/OG in the draft)

2nd round = Brandon Flowers, CB, VaTech = A (one of top 3-5 CBs in the draft)

3rd round = Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas = C- (while I'm sure some think he was a 'value pick', the only saving grace to this pick is that we do need a RB in case something happens to LJ; unfortunately, Charles figures to be a situational RB in the NFL, not an every-down sort of RB, which is what we need to back-up LJ)

3rd round = Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee = D (we lost Jason Dunn and Gonzo is getting old; Cottam is very raw; seems like a reach by at least one round)

3rd round = DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State = F (while I'm sure some think he was some kind of a 'value pick', we don't need another young safety)

4th round = Will Franklin, WR, Missouri = A (soft hands, very fast; I like this pick a lot)

5th round = Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State = C (we needed to try to get two CBs, however, having drafted a S two rounds prior tells me that one of the two picks was a total waste, so I'll give Mr. Carr the benefit of the doubt)

6th round = Barry Richardson, OT/OG, Clemson = C (we needed another big body for the O-line, whether Richardson was the best guy or not, I have no idea ... therefore, this pick is a "meh" grade)

6th round = Kevin Robinson, WR/KR, Utah State = F (we just got our fast WR with soft hands two rounds prior; we can pick up a KR more easily than we can a DL or OL help)

7th round = Brian Johnston, DE, Gardner-Webb = F (this smells like a gigantic prayer...boom or bust; should have addressed another DL-man earlier rather than making what feels like such a huge reach)

7th round = Mike Merritt, TE, Central Florida = F (blocking TE ... so, is Merritt to replace Dunn and the hope is that Cottam will replace Gonzo?)

Day 1 = A+

Day 2 = F

OVERALL = C- (

I don't know, while they could have done slightly better on day 2 their main need was speed and athleticism on offense imho. They now have a lot of speed. In theory they should be able to be more explosive and be better at stopping on d. Let's be honest, KC sucked hard last yar, I dont see how any of these moves can do anything but help. The Steelers weren't built in a day you know :wacko:.

I agree. I think Kelly is gonna be a beast as a pro.

Maybe its just me, but Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El were not gonna scare anyone, regardless of the QB.

They need to give Jim Zorn the tools he needs to win. Without knowing his plan for the future it hard to downgrade their draft. It looks like they are going offense.

Oh, no i agree. The thing is this - I think that the Skins do not have the infrastructure in place [via their offense] to compete throw-for-throw with the Giants, Eagles and especially the Cowboys [i threw up a little in my mouth typing that]. Eli evolved last year to show he can manage the game and when he needed to, throw it deep to Plax. McNabb, even though he hasn't been himself the past couple of years, still can bring it when he needs to. Romo is a good QB and i personally feel [more throw up] that he will be a fantastic QB and Dallas will take their place as a dominate team in future seasons [more throw up].

The skins cannot expect to create a passing attack that would help them against either of these offenses. Point for Point the other three could and would out score them. All four teams have good Ds. The skins really need to keep on pace with the model that Gibbs has begun to build. Power running and a great D. You could give me, TO, Moss, C. Johnson and Steve Smith but if its me throwing the ball, they aint gonna put up stellar numbers.

Campbell will be a fine QB. He will be a manager of the offense. He is smart, he has good vision in the pocket and what impressed me the most was last year, several times when the pock was collapsing around him, he didn't panic but instead stepped forward in the pocket. You can't teach that to a young QB. However i do not think he will ever have the accuracy to explode and keep pace with any of the other Offenses in the NFC East.

Bring youth and speed to the D-line, pressure the QB and collapse the pocket, free up the LBS to keep people like Witten from making huge gains, let the secondary do what it does. Power running, solid, shut D will be the model for the Skins to make it to the NFC Champ. game, not passing.

This is just MHO of course but still i do not agree with 2 WR and a TE.

Hmmm..

I've got no horse in this race as I'm not a Redskins fan. Don't dislike them mind you - just a not a fan.

That said, They clearly had a specific strategy in mind and appear to have achieved it with flying colors. They took two of the top "big" wideouts and now have them to pair with Randle-El and Moss, their smaller, speed guys. Could be a scary good WR corps. Also now have two legit receiving threats at TE with the drafting of Davis. And they already had Portis/Betts as their RBs. They stocked their cupboards full in one draft - really in one round.

Considering they have a former QB coach now as the head coach, I see the Redksins being a vastly different, much more explosive offensive team. I don't think they're gonna be a smashmouth team nearly as much as in years past. Their draft was certainly one of the more interesting, but for my part, I really like what they did - a lot. No excuses for Campbell though. And it was huge for them to retain Collins who actually may be the better fit for the style of offense I expect to see from them - more of a true pocket passer.

Edited by Cunning Runt

They need to give Jim Zorn the tools he needs to win. Without knowing his plan for the future it hard to downgrade their draft. It looks like they are going offense.

From what I read the Redskins went with the highest rated player on the board, regardless of the need. I would like to have seen a top DE drafted as well but WR was a big time need. The Skins were not sold on Calais Campbell DE Jr. Miami (FL) 6-8 290 who they could have gotten. The Skins felt like he fit more the 3-4 set. Looks like the offense got most of the help this year, hopefully next year will be the defense. The fact of the matter is the Redskins needed a lot of help. They have not drafted much in the past and the players are getting older. I am happy with what the Redskins did. I hope they continue to use the draft to build the team and get away from free agency. :wacko:

Bengals:

Defense:

Many are upset that the Bengals did not trade up for DT Cedric Ellis, but I am not one of them. To get Ellis, they would have needed to trade at least their 3rd and probably more. The 3rd turned into DT Pat Sims. So the Bengals could have 1) LB Keith Rivers and DT Pat Sims or 2) DT Ellis only.

Since I had LB as the area of greatest need for the Bengals, I think they made the right call with option 1. And Rivers is no consolation prize on a team hurting at LB for various reasons.

Offense:

3 wide receivers! Wow. They clearly drafted for life after Chris Henry and (potentially) Chad Johnson. It is good to get them in now because the team will likely need at least one of them to develop into a go-to type for 2009. The player to watch is 2nd round draft pick WR Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina. He has all the physical skills you need, was a team captain, and is reportedly very coachable, but will the learning curve be too much? Time will tell.

Overall a B.

Sorry,, but I disagree. I give them a solid B, and pending what they do with the extra picks they received, perhaps an "A".

Passing on Otah was tough. The Eagles stated they really liked him , and I think they had to be bowled over to trade the pick. Carolina bowled them over. The trade was a no-brianer.

Had you been told, prior to the draft, that the Eagles would have taken Jackson in the first round and a solid defensive tackle in the second round, you would have been pretty happy, I think. Well, the Eagles drafted Jackson and Laws, brought in more speed and quickness and versatility with 2nd-year player Booker (who they loved in last year's draft), AND added a first-round draft pick in 2009.

Pretty hard to give them a D.

Trevor Laws was a very solid wrestler in Minnesota in the top wrestling school in the state and amongst the top in the nation. He and another heavyweigtht wrestler in the state had quite a few great go-arounds. He must be a load to deal with on the line.

Edit: I see Trevor has his name in the wrestling record books. 48 wins in a season (48-0) and the record is 49.

link

Edited by MikesVikes

Sensitive this morning, McBoog? If you say so :D You said said one of the best in the league, and now you're backpeddling to say top third... Whatever makes you feel better. I think you're way off base in your calling Chambers pro bowl caliber as well. I don't view Jackson nor Chambers as a game changer or a pro bowl caliber wide receiver. You've back peddled off of you initial statement of them having one of the best to top third, but I think they're just outside of the top third. I think they have average at best receivers.

But no particular order...

Broncos-Marshall is top a 6 wr. DJax and Stokley are time tested (see aging) vets

Bengals - Chad Johnson is still on the bengals (and a head case) . Housh and Johnson are elite.

Browns- Edwards, Stallworth and Jerevicious (after Edwards, I like the Chargers total group better)

Colts- Wayne, Harrison, Gonzo (Wayne for sure, Marvin's knees and Gonzo unproven)

Patriots- Moss and Welker OK

Steelers-Ward, Holmes, Sweed :D

Cardinals-Boldin and Fitz are elite. (I think the best starting pair in the league. Depth is questionable)

Panthers-Smith, Hackett, and Moosh are a great mix. (Smith and who?)

Cowboys-Terrell Owens is an elite talent, which allows Crayton and the role players to produce. (see Panthers)

Lions- Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey (No Martz. We'll see what happens now)

Packers- Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones... (Solid group if not unspectacular, no Favre)

Saints-Marquis Colston and CO (No Pro Bowls and who else?)

Teams like the Jets and Texans could arguably be ahead of them as well.

My initial thinking was "top Ten" is "one of the best in the league". I also then later realized that top ten out of 32 teams is only top third, and I think that saying top five in a small sample like the NFL is more significant. Sooo, I originally let homerism get in the way of reality. Yes, I did back off and say "not top five".

I think you're way off base in your calling Chambers pro bowl caliber as well.
Whaaa? Chambers HAS been to the Pro Bowl and could go again now that he is no longer in a miserable situation (though I don't know if the Bolts will pass enough to warrant this and there are a ton of guys to throw the ball to). With the Bolts, Chambers played in his first-ever playoff games, debuting with a 121-yard effort in a Wild Card win over Tennessee. Chambers finished the postseason with the third-most receiving yards in the NFL (278) and the sixth-most catches (16). He showed big time in big games!

So given that, I will concede the Cardinals, the Colts (depending on Marvin's condition), Pats and Bengals. Your list (and my homer glasses probably) make me feel very good compared to the rest of the teams you've listed when you throw Gates in the mix with the WR corps of the Chargers and I like the balance, versatility and depth. As a group, I'm not sure I would trade the Chargers squad for any of them.

This is where the drat picks went or how they were used for this year's team.

Round 1 (27th) Antoine Cason | More CB 6'0" 190 Arizona :D

Round 2: Chris Chambers acquired via trade with Miami; Pro Bowl after '05 :brew: (Made immediate difference)

Round 3: Eric Weddle acquired via trade with Chicago '07 (Made McCree expendable, starter)

Round 3 (69th)# Jacob Hester | More RB 5'11" 230 LSU (Solid, versatile Turner/Neal replacement that catches better than both. Will play a lot)

Round 4: Paul Oliver acquired via '07 Supplemental Draft (Would have gone higher if didn't come out early. Full season of learning in the bank)

Round 5 (166th)* Marcus Thomas | More RB 6'2" 215; Texas-El Paso (Slasher, room on squad for extra RB)

Round 6 (192nd) DeJuan Tribble | More CB 5'9" 190; Boston College (HUH? Project that was injured senior year. AJ does this every year. Worked with Cromartie)

Round 7 (234th) Corey Clark | More OT 6'5" 315 TEXAS A&M :wacko: (Big dude/low fat. Nasty attitude. 1-2 year project. Chargers have been great at grooming O-line players in recent years. Dielman was D-line rook when he came to the Chargers)

For a team that did not need a single starter, this was a great draft! The run on OT in round one was a bummer since I would have like to see RT adressed more immediately, but the loss of Drayton Florence is filled nicely by Cason.

Solid B to B+ draft for AJ :D