[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Todd McShay initial 09 mock draft

Randall

Interesting who he has as the worst teams next season.

He has NE beating Dallas in the SuperBowl. Naturally I do not agree with that. He does have the Packers winning the Norris division though. :wacko:

And the Saints winning the south.

"Updated: April 29, 2008

The 2008 NFL draft is in the books, so now it's time to look ahead to 2009.

Obviously, there are plenty of variables here, starting with the draft order. Scouts Inc.'s NFL team looked at 2008 schedules, draft order and personnel -- including 2008 draft classes and free-agent moves -- and put together its initial 2008 power rankings to determine the order of this mock draft.

As for the prospects, the talent pool includes every draft-eligible player. Yes, we know some of the top '08 juniors might not come out early, but if they're technically eligible for the draft, they're definitely eligible for the 2009 mock draft. An asterisk denotes draft-eligible underclassmen, including those who redshirted or spent a year in prep school.

So, with the first pick of the 2009 NFL Mock Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select …

1. Atlanta Falcons -- Fili Moala, DT, USC

Atlanta finally gets its playmaking interior defensive lineman. Moala has flown under the radar to this point but he should emerge from the shadow of 2008 No. 7 overall pick Sedrick Ellis and become one of the elite defenders in college football this fall.

2. Detroit Lions -- Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

Coach Rod Marinelli's defense is predicated on speed up front, and Johnson is blessed with plenty of that. Johnson was overlooked while playing in a rotation last season, but it won't take long for the rangy edge-rusher to make his mark in 2008.

3. Kansas City Chiefs -- Matt Stafford*, QB, Georgia

Another injury-plagued and disappointing season out of fragile QB Brodie Croyle will force the Chiefs to address the position with this high draft pick in 2009. If the supremely talented Stafford continues to progress as he did last fall, he could easily emerge as a top-five pick next April.

4. Miami Dolphins -- Al Woods, DT, LSU

At 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, Woods is a physically imposing defensive tackle with enough size and strength to anchor the middle of a 3-4 defense.

5. Cincinnati Bengals -- Sen'Derrick Marks*, DT, Auburn

The Bengals got shut out in their pursuit of an elite defensive tackle in this year's draft, but 2009 will be more kind. Marks is an undersized playmaker with the first-step quickness to disrupt as a 3-technique tackle, which is exactly what Marvin Lewis' defense needs along its front.

6. Oakland Raiders -- Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

Smith stepped in immediately as the Tide's starting left tackle and continues to improve with more coaching and game experience. The Raiders could enlist a player with his kind of skills to take care of their most recent first-round investments in QB JaMarcus Russell and RB Darren McFadden.

7. Chicago Bears -- Tim Tebow*, QB, Florida

It's almost certain that the Bears will need a quarterback come next offseason. Unfortunately, next year's crop of signal-callers does not look promising at this point. Bears fans won't be thrilled if the team uses a high pick on another Gators quarterback following the failed Rex Grossman experiment, but Tebow's unique blend of skills and rare intangibles might be too good to pass up. Should Tebow elect to leave school early, however, his uncommon skill set could make him the most difficult prospect at any position to grade.

8. San Francisco 49ers -- Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

Oher, who possesses the size and athletic ability to develop into an upper-echelon starting tackle in the NFL, would make an ideal bookend opposite 2007 first-rounder Joe Staley.

9. St. Louis Rams -- Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

Maualuga is the top senior prospect on my 2009 draft board at this insanely early point in the process, although he wouldn't be the first senior off the board. I've never seen a defensive player take over a game the way Maualuga did versus Illinois in the Rose Bowl, and his recognition skills are clearly catching up with his rare physical tools.

10. New York Jets -- Knowshon Moreno*, RB, Georgia

Moreno burst onto the scene as a redshirt freshman in 2007 and he should build on that momentum as a first-year starter behind a more mature offensive line during the upcoming season. The Jets were not able to land McFadden in this year's draft but Moreno would be worth the wait if he's available in 2009.

11. Tennessee Titans -- Michael Crabtree*, WR, Texas Tech

Do not pigeonhole Crabtree; he's not just a product of coach Mike Leach's pass-crazy offense. The tall, long-armed receiver could be the go-to-target QB Vince Young so desperately needs.

12. Houston Texans -- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Jenkins made a wise decision to return as a senior. He needs to improve his footwork and overall man-to-man cover skills to prove to scouts he's capable of playing corner in any scheme at the next level. Regardless, the Texans could use his ball-hawking skills in their secondary, no matter whether it's at cornerback or safety.

13. Denver Broncos -- James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Laurinaitis surprised many NFL scouts when he elected to return to Columbus for his senior season. Assuming he continues to make progress in 2008, there's no reason to believe he will fall out of the top 20 picks in next year's draft. The instinctive, high-motor inside linebacker would be a nice addition to a Denver defense in search of more stout defenders up the middle.

14. Baltimore Ravens -- Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

The Ravens need an upgrade at corner and a young playmaker like Davis, who possesses rare athleticism for his size, would be an ideal fit.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (from CAR) -- Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

The Eagles failed to land a go-to-receiver in the 2008 draft (no, DeSean Jackson does not qualify). Instead of going the free-agent route to land a weapon for veteran QB Donovan McNabb, they might as well use one of two first-round picks in '09 on a future primary target for future QB Kevin Kolb.

16. Arizona Cardinals -- LeSean McCoy*, RB, Pittsburgh

After Arizona failed to find a complement for Edgerrin James in this year's draft, the Cardinals' need at running back will be far more pressing in the spring of '09. McCoy is a supremely talented sophomore who is draft eligible after spending a year in prep school, and he is reportedly already eyeing the 2009 draft.

17. Buffalo Bills -- Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

Beckum could emerge as a top-20 pick if he can add 10-15 pounds to his frame while maintaining his big-play ability as a receiver during his senior season.

18. Philadelphia Eagles -- Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

After failing to land one of the record-setting seven offensive tackles selected in the first round of this year's draft, coach Andy Reid will be craving a big fella like Loadholt in 2009.

19. Washington Redskins -- Greg Hardy*, DE, Mississippi

Hardy is flying under the radar right now despite notching 10 solo sacks the past two seasons, and the Redskins will be looking for a young pass-rushing threat after failing to land one during the latest draft.

20. Minnesota Vikings -- Percy Harvin*, WR/RS, Florida

Staying healthy for a full season would all but guarantee Harvin a spot in the first round of the NFL draft, either next year or in 2010.

21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Ciron Black, OT, LSU

The Bucs will be looking to enlist the services of a talented left tackle prospect such as Black, who displays quick feet for a 6-5, 315-pounder.

22. Green Bay Packers -- Max Unger, OT, Oregon

Unger, who projects as a first-day pick in next year's draft, is the type of versatile lineman the Packers typically covet.

23. Cleveland Browns -- Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson

Sapp is an up-and-coming talent with outstanding speed and pass-rushing potential. He should fit perfectly as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 scheme like the one employed in Cleveland.

24. Seattle Seahawks -- Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

The Seahawks are still looking for a long-term solution at left guard, so why not use this pick on the player who is at this point the top prospect at that position.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Jackson is among the elite senior defensive prospects right now but that might not hold up for 12 full months, as he's simply not a great fit for every team's defensive scheme. At 6-5 and 290, Jackson is best suited to play defensive end in a three-man front like the one employed in Pittsburgh.

26. New Orleans Saints -- Gerald McRath, OLB, Southern Miss

The Saints will be looking for an injection of youth and athleticism at linebacker and the speedy, undersized McRath falls in line with that objective.

27. New York Giants -- Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida

The Giants could use a quick and powerful tackling machine like Spikes after failing to address that need early in the 2008 draft.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars -- William Moore, S, Missouri

Moore emerged as a playmaking machine in 2007, when he notched 114 tackles and eight interceptions. At 6-1 and 215 pounds he could be the versatile strong safety Jacksonville needs opposite FS Reggie Nelson.

29. Indianapolis Colts -- Vance Walker, DT/DE, Georgia Tech

Walker has the right blend of tools to provide depth along the interior of Indianapolis' quick-but-undersized defensive line.

30. San Diego Chargers -- Auston English, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

English is an instinctive, high-motor player with very good speed and fluid hips for a young defensive end. He already has experience dropping into coverage on zone-blitz looks within Oklahoma's complex defensive scheme.

31. Dallas Cowboys -- Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU

Wide receiver is the one area Dallas did not address during an otherwise promising 2008 draft. Byrd has a lot to prove as a senior but he certainly has the blend of size and deep speed it takes to emerge as a first-round draft pick.

32. New England Patriots -- Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

The Patriots continue a recent trend of drafting linebackers by using this selection on the versatile Cushing. The 6-5, 248-pounder has experience on the strong side and as a rush linebacker, which will be attractive to a New England coaching staff that likes versatility in its linebackers.

i have no problem with that, but matching up potential teams?

Cmon

I agree... Its all about getting people to look though, and thats one way to do it. People love hearing other peoples opinions... Until they actually HEAR them, and then they bash them. :wacko:

Also makes me want to dump next year's dynasty draft picks for more picks this year.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was upset having two 1st round picks this year, since all of the RB's look to be going to committee's. But next year looks terrible for dynasty leaguers. I'll be trading some draft picks away this year.

With Rookie salaries getting out of hand, I doubt you will see a WR taken in the top half of the 1st round as evidence of this years draft. That is unless you want to pay a ton of gauranteed money to a player that historically takes 2-4 years to develop.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was upset having two 1st round picks this year, since all of the RB's look to be going to committee's. But next year looks terrible for dynasty leaguers. I'll be trading some draft picks away this year.

Just traded next year's #1 and this year's #2 (2.06, 12 team dynasty) for 1.05 this year. Now have 2 first rounders this year.

If Michael Crabtree is enters the draft next year he will be a top 5 pick. He is the best looking college WR I've ever seen. The guy almost had 2000 yards receiving as a sophomore last year and 22 TDs, averaging 14.6 yds per catch. He runs a 4.49 in the 40 documented. I have heard he has run a 4.46. He isn't afraid of catching the ball in traffic, and rarely goes down until hit by multiple defenders.

How do you figure he goes higher? Only two went this year and they were superior players to Little Animal. He gets taken out of games too easily. Good player, but he wont go top 15.

Just traded next year's #1 and this year's #2 (2.06, 12 team dynasty) for 1.05 this year. Now have 2 first rounders this year.

I traded away my 1st rounder for next year for the 1.03 this year.

If Michael Crabtree is enters the draft next year he will be a top 5 pick. He is the best looking college WR I've ever seen. The guy almost had 2000 yards receiving as a sophomore last year and 22 TDs, averaging 14.6 yds per catch. He runs a 4.49 in the 40 documented. I have heard he has run a 4.46. He isn't afraid of catching the ball in traffic, and rarely goes down until hit by multiple defenders.

Hes pretty amazing to watch, thats for sure.

Rivals.com 2009 mock draft

For all the KC homers that think that CD and I are way off base in predicting a dismal season for our beloved Chiefs, note that Rivals has KC picking #1 overall next year.

OT for the Vikes like I think many expect:

19. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama*

No offensive tackle - not even Oher - has more upside than Smith. However, Smith is battling weight issues that have slowed him. He could be a special left tackle, much in the mold of Flozell Adams, who can protect and run block with the best of them.

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State will go higher than 13

Sam Baker, Brian Brohm, and Dan Conner probably thought they were going to go much higher than they went as well...

Half of the big names now will fall out of the first... Then You'll have the guys that are just below the radar that skyrocket up, and the Flacco's, and DRC's of the draft that come from nowhere... THe entire thing is a crapshoot.

Where is Chris Beanie Wells on that list. I have to think if he is healthy he may be a top 10 pick.

Was thinking the same thing....if he stays healthy next year and comes out, top ten pick....

perhaps they anticipate him NOT coming out after his junior year?

Was thinking the same thing....if he stays healthy next year and comes out, top ten pick....

perhaps they anticipate him NOT coming out after his junior year?

nfldraftblitz has him going #1...mock on cnnsi.com has him going 3....i guess hes come out and said he wants to stay 4 years at columbus...laurinaitis did....but it be pretty crazy for a back to stay...when he can get paid for punishing his body

morenos stock will probably go through the roof if georgia doesnt disappoint....hes a tad on the small side...but hed make sense to the jets being from new jersey and all

Where is Chris Beanie Wells on that list. I have to think if he is healthy he may be a top 10 pick.

I think there are serious doubts about the explosiveness of Wells. Pro style body, but he just doesn't have the burst of a Jonathan Stewart.