[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nice piece on Anderson vs Quinn in CLE

DMD

Man, if I was Anderson I would never want to be left in a room alone with Brady. "Honest coach, he just tripped and broke both arms". So much for incentive laden contracts...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3375039

Savage conducting chemistry experiment in Cleveland

By James Walker

ESPN.com

There is a chemistry experiment happening in Cleveland -- a project so volatile that it can last for only the 2008 season.

The subjects are Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, two talented quarterbacks under the age of 25. The problem is only one can sit in the cockpit of one of the NFL's most exciting offenses, which includes Pro Bowlers Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow and a stellar offensive line.

Other QB Controversies

Here are five additional quarterback controversies to watch closely in 2008 complete with our expert's picks of who will start:

The decision has drawn more ire than praise in Northeast Ohio. There is a saying that behind NBA star LeBron James, the backup quarterback is the most popular athlete in town, and without a doubt, Quinn is the people's choice in Cleveland.

Quinn's Golden Boy image screams franchise quarterback. He was a first-round pick, has a deep pedigree from Notre Dame and is one of their own, born in Columbus, Ohio, about 120 miles south. Quinn's jersey is the top seller in Cleveland, and he has yet to start a game.

It's a popularity contest Anderson will never win, not even with his 3,787 yards, 29 touchdowns and spot in the Pro Bowl this past season. He was even booed at home when returning from injury in the Browns' season finale, because it took Quinn off the field in his only action last season.

"Derek has played over 1,000 snaps, and there's still people that have doubts outside of our building," Savage said. "Brady's played 10 snaps, and people are convinced that he's the guy. It's really kind of illogical."

This type of experiment has been done before.

From 2004 to 2005, the San Diego Chargers delicately balanced their quarterback tandem of Philip Rivers and Drew Brees. Both were high draft picks and starting-caliber quarterbacks, but only one could see the field on Sundays.

Brees played well for the Chargers. In his last two seasons with them, he led the team to 21 victories and a 2004 playoff berth. But after sitting its first-round pick for two seasons, the organization had to choose between the two and went with Rivers. Brees in turn signed a long-term deal with the New Orleans Saints.

"All I know is we had talented quarterbacks and in time we addressed it," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said. "[The Browns] are in the exact same boat. They're pretty comfortable with the talent they have there right now, and they'll worry about next year next year."

Smith understands what Savage is going through because he faced similar pressure, but he believes the Browns made the right move in re-signing Anderson.

Quarterback injuries "can happen in a second," Smith says, and the Browns were able to protect themselves without making a long-term commitment. Anderson signed a three-year contract worth $24 million on Feb. 29.

"They rest will take care of itself," Smith said. "It could take care of itself through performance. It can take care of itself through injury. It can take of itself through contract situations they might not be comfortable with."

Indeed, both contracts indicate Savage will have to split the two quarterbacks after this season.

Anderson is due a guaranteed roster bonus of $5 million in March 2009, and it's unlikely the Browns will pay it unless they are convinced he is the long-term solution. Meanwhile, the longer Anderson plays, the more money Quinn loses in his incentive-laden, five-year deal.

If Quinn doesn't see the field, he will be one of the NFL's lowest-paid quarterbacks this season. Cleveland is paying Quinn the second-year league minimum of $370,000 in 2008. His salary could increase to $1.693 million if he plays 45 percent of the snaps, but that's unlikely, unless Anderson falters or is injured.

Including all incentives, the maximum value of Quinn's deal was $30 million. But if Quinn continues at this pace without playing time, he will end up making just less than $8 million over five years -- a difference of $22 million. Quinn received most of his guaranteed money in March when the Browns paid him a $4.255 million option bonus.

"It's a great situation for the team," Savage said of having both quarterbacks. "It's not so hot for Brady Quinn, because only one of them can play at a time."

For now, Savage's influence has prevented Quinn and super-agent Tom Condon from demanding a trade. But rest assured, the player and his agent will not sit idle for a third straight year.

"Dr. Phil" has done an impressive job of massaging the egos of both quarterbacks and their representation.

Savage and the coaching staff convinced Anderson to re-sign with the Browns by giving him their backing to be their starter in 2008. Savage in turn has consoled Quinn and Condon that the team remains high on the second-year quarterback.

It's a diplomatic high-wire act that Savage walks every day in his own building.

Money eventually will end this chemistry experiment. But not until Savage and the Browns find out which quarterback is the right fit for their team.

lol @ those rocket scientist CLE fans. Let's see: a guy who has proven himself and done damn well (and subsequently gets booed) or a guy...who might pan out. Wow tough call. They're giving Philly a run for their money.

I'm not at all sold on Derek Anderson. I watched the majority of Cleveland's games last year, and I honestly believe that his success had more to do with Edwards and Winslow being able to catch almost anything thrown. Those guys made awesome catches week in and week out. Late in the season he looked lost and made more than his fair share of mistakes that cost them a few games last year. I understand that it was his first year as a starter, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as most seem to think.

I'm not at all sold on Derek Anderson. I watched the majority of Cleveland's games last year, and I honestly believe that his success had more to do with Edwards and Winslow being able to catch almost anything thrown. Those guys made awesome catches week in and week out. Late in the season he looked lost and made more than his fair share of mistakes that cost them a few games last year. I understand that it was his first year as a starter, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as most seem to think.

I'm not sure that most people think it's cut and dry.

That's also the "film factor" at work, as D's adjust to his tendencies.

This year, if he can re-adjust is the deal breaker for him IMO.

lol

Sorry. I'm still miffed at booing Santa Claus.

Here is an explanation.

PHILADELPHIA — No surprise Philadelphia fans were rough on the Eagles at 0-2. After all, they once threw snowballs at ....

Hold it. In a new book titled The Great Philadelphia Fan Book, co-authors Glen Macnow and Anthony L. Gargano contend Philly fans get a bum rap in frequent mentions about that 1968 day when they hurled snowballs at Santa Claus. Not that they didn't do it.

"No event has been used to tar-and-feather Philadelphia fans as much. And no event has been as exaggerated, misconstrued and inaccurately recalled," they write.

Macnow, a talk show host along with Gargano on WIP radio in Philadelphia, says it's all about the circumstances.

"Everybody just thinks that people pelted Santa with snow balls for no reason other than we're mean people," he says.

A crowd of 54,535 showed in a snowstorm that Dec. 15 day at Franklin Field to watch the last-place Eagles finished off a 2-12 season with a loss to Minnesota.

The book says that team owner Jerry Wolman had "dismantled a strong, proud franchise" and hired Joe Kuharich as coach and general manager. Kuharich, who inspired the "Joe Must Go" slogan, traded Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen to Washington for Norm Snead.

At halftime, there was supposed to be a Christmas pageant. Then there was too much snow and muck for a float to parade around the field. Instead, according to the book, a 19-year-old fan wearing a Santa suit and fake beard in the stands was recruited to jog onto the field between two columns of cheerleaders.

The authors don't deny boos were heard and that snowballs were tossed. Are they saying Santa had it coming?

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

The authors tracked down the Santa, Frank Olivo, who now lives in Ocean City, N.J. In the book, Olivo says he has no hard feelings. "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny," he is quoted as saying.

But Olivo recalls that when he was asked if he might want to play Santa again the next season, he balked. "No way. If it doesn't snow, they'll probably throw beer bottles".

Normally in these circumstances I typically side with trading the veteran. You sign quarterbacks in the first round in hopes that they become superstars. However, I'm not so sure than Anderson isn't on his way there in his own right. This is how this differs from Kitna/Palmer. Everybody knew Kitna would never be a superstar, so obviously you had to try Carson Palmer. I'm sure Chicago would happil still pay a pretty penny for Quinn.

I'm not buying this at all. Didnt Edwards lead the AFC in drops last year? He had a history of this in college too. I know he is an exciting player and can be spectacular, but he drops more than his share.

Also, you have to give Anderson a bit of a break with the weather at the end of the year. They played in some garbage.

ETA linky. Looks like Winslow was tied for 4th in drops in the AFC as well.

Edited by Cameltosis

Edwards and Winslow make circus catches, but have trouble with the routine.

I think they should have moved one this offseason. After this year one will lose a lot of value.

True, but by keeping both this year the Browns are afforded the luxury of knowing *which* one.

People need to see the bigger picture here and avoid over-analysis. Bottom line is that not many QBs throw for 29 TDs, that's a big indicator of his ability. Obviously a player can have a fluke season, but If the Cleveland fans or coaches really think it's the system or the players that allowed Anderson to do that, then they are foolish. This year will solve all the questions - if Anderson stays healthy and throws his 25+ TDs then he's the man. If he stays healthy and throws under 20, then 2007 may have been a fluke. 2008 is a HUGH season for Anderson and Cleveland and I'm excited to see how it pans out.

BTW, whoever was talking about Edwards and Winslow being the reason for Anderson's success - :wacko:

Edited by Brentastic