[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tamba Hali and Tavares Gooden

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/598109.html

Hali Rushing from the Right

The Chiefs are trying to boost DE Tamba Hali's potential by moving him into DE Jared Allen’s vacated position, right defensive end. The traditional spot for a team’s premier pass rusher is the right side because it usually attacks the quarterback’s blind side.

DT Glenn Dorsey should free up some space too, and the Chiefs' defense should be on the field often. Look for Hali to lead the team with sacks this season.

| April 30, 2008 5:12 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4018651.story

Watch Gooden Closely

The addition of former University of Miami LB Tavares Gooden to the Ravens linebacking corps could be an interesting situation to watch develop. The Ravens "improved their depth in free agency with LB Brendon Ayanbadejo and in the draft with LB Tavares Gooden (third round from the University of Miami), who might eventually be the best of this draft class," according to the Baltimore Sun.

Watch Gooden's development closely. With LB Bart Scott and LB Ray Lewis in contract seasons, Gooden could quickly develop into a starting LB in Baltimore as early as 2009 if either Scott or Lewis is not re-signed. With Lewis allegedly asking for money on the order of QB Peyton Manning's contract, Gooden could quickly become a key addition in Baltimore sooner rather then later.

| April 30, 2008 6:11 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/598109.html

Hali Rushing from the Right

The Chiefs are trying to boost DE Tamba Hali's potential by moving him into DE Jared Allen’s vacated position, right defensive end. The traditional spot for a team’s premier pass rusher is the right side because it usually attacks the quarterback’s blind side.

DT Glenn Dorsey should free up some space too, and the Chiefs' defense should be on the field often. Look for Hali to lead the team with sacks this season.

| April 30, 2008 5:12 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4018651.story

Watch Gooden Closely

The addition of former University of Miami LB Tavares Gooden to the Ravens linebacking corps could be an interesting situation to watch develop. The Ravens "improved their depth in free agency with LB Brendon Ayanbadejo and in the draft with LB Tavares Gooden (third round from the University of Miami), who might eventually be the best of this draft class," according to the Baltimore Sun.

Watch Gooden's development closely. With LB Bart Scott and LB Ray Lewis in contract seasons, Gooden could quickly develop into a starting LB in Baltimore as early as 2009 if either Scott or Lewis is not re-signed. With Lewis allegedly asking for money on the order of QB Peyton Manning's contract, Gooden could quickly become a key addition in Baltimore sooner rather then later.

| April 30, 2008 6:11 PM

1st Hali, he was a liability of sorts vs the run last yr....this yr he probably wont put up the stats that many will hope for....and he is gonna miss having Jared Allen lined up on the opposite side of him for sure

2nd Gooden....note that it says ACCORDING TO THE BALT SUN....the top LB in this class landed in NE....and this time of year they all might EVENTUALLY be the best of the draft class....Gooden will sit at the very least one year behind Ray Ray and I wouldnt be surprised to see Ray sign an extension at some point this season...I dont think he is ready to retire and I do think he will retire a Raven too.

• 2 weeks later...
I was somewhat surprised that the Ravens took Gooden over Conner.

Conner is more of a throw-back MLB. He's not quite as mobile & he is a read & fill run-crusher. He wouldn't be a good fit in BAL's flow to the ball D scheme. Gooden's athleticism is the strongest part of his game, and he fits the BAL scheme perfectly.

I drafted Gooden in ATAP, and I did it because of the opportunity. I still have a few questions about his weaknesses that he's going to have to overcome, but they are much more situations where he has to either learn to do something properly or unlearn a bad habit more than physical or mental deficencies. That he has to sit a year & watch is probably about the best thing that could have happened to him. He isn't NFL ready right now. He also needs to toughen up & play hurt, and Lewis will help immenseley in installing some mental toughness.

In the meantime, he'll make hugh contributions on special teams. It wouldn't surpise me in the least to see him a few times on the Sportscenter highlight reel with hits on kick coverage.