[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson arrested

tazinib1

A guy having a family outing. That's all it was.

It's not like he was shooting anyone or running an illegal drug trade. He was out with his family on a boat. And yet some people call him a bum for it. More players should be like this.

Way overblown.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but he sucks. Why keep a guy when the only thing he has added to the team is bad press?

People act like he'll be kicked out of the league if the Bears cut him. He'll get another job. There are a lot worse RBs in the league that still have jobs.

The only good thing Forte has going for him is that Benson sucks. Nobody can explain why Forte is any good in his own right. He's better just because he's not Benson? Forte is just a stop gap player, not really good at anything. Replaceable within 2 years. Replacing mediocrity with mediocrity. I don't understand what all the fuss is about (other than people's personal bias against Benson).

I'll agree that Benson probably could use a fresh start somewhere else.

It is one thing to be a pain in the ass if you are a good player, it is quite another to cause trouble as a borderline player. And it is also one thing to get busted with a few beers in you, but quite another to refuse to comply with the water-cops requests. The Bears at some point might decide to cut this guy loose if they figure he is more trouble than he is worth. Definitely a possibility.

The Bears at some point might decide to cut this guy loose if they figure he is more trouble than he is worth. Definitely a possibility.

At which point, Jerry Jones will hove into view with a ready-to-sign contract.

A guy having a family outing. That's all it was.

It's not like he was shooting anyone or running an illegal drug trade. He was out with his family on a boat. And yet some people call him a bum for it. More players should be like this.

Way overblown.

Yet as many interactions as I've had with cops over the years, I've never been pepper sprayed. It makes me think that either I have much better interpersonal skills than Mr. Benson, or perhaps everything wasn't as cool as a family reunion.

And how many of those are making as much as Benson?

Quite a bit if they make just over the league minimum.

8/29/2005: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17 million in guarantees. 2008: $820,000, 2009: $1.02 million, 2010: Free Agent.
Edited by Riffraff

I'm talking about his contract total... He got a ton of money up front, no?

Yup, he made millions his first few years.

The vast majority of rookies do not produce according to their first or second year's pay.

But you used a present tense verb (making) in your previous reply.

He's making just over the league minimum in 2008.

Heck, cutting him pretty much ensures he'd make more $$ this season.

How's that for justice for his haters?

Edited by Riffraff

Oh my God. What did the Bears get themselves into?

According to the police report, Cedric Benson exhibited bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and a "strong" alcohol odor before he was arrested.

Officials thought Benson was drunk because he was crying, but at other times cooperative. Benson was also described as "combative," "cocky," and "insulting." The lake he was boating on has already had four drownings this year.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

People act like he'll be kicked out of the league if the Bears cut him. He'll get another job. There are a lot worse RBs in the league that still have jobs.

The only good thing Forte has going for him is that Benson sucks. Nobody can explain why Forte is any good in his own right. He's better just because he's not Benson? Forte is just a stop gap player, not really good at anything. Replaceable within 2 years. Replacing mediocrity with mediocrity. I don't understand what all the fuss is about (other than people's personal bias against Benson).

I'll agree that Benson probably could use a fresh start somewhere else.

Benson being a weird cat aside, am I the only one who thinks he gets a bad rap, for playing on a bad offense? That offensive line sucks. People say Thomas Jones this and Thomas Jones that, but how many drives were stopped because Thomas Jones was stopped behind the line of scrimmage? The only thing that Thomas Jones had was speed, and when he got out side he could make a big play, but more often then not he was stopped with a 1 yard gain or a loss in CHI. Benson isn't a speed back. Until the Bears address their offensive line, and get a legitimate receiving threat on both sides of the field, no running back is going to have much success. With as poor as their offensive line is, they would be better off giving the ball to Garrett Wolfe and hope he can make the edge for a big play, but even then he like Jones will be stopped for a loss or a 1 yd gain more times than not.

Put Benson behind a decent O-line with some decent WR's and a decent QB, and he could be a pretty good RB.

Benson being a weird cat aside, am I the only one who thinks he gets a bad rap, for playing on a bad offense?

Nope. I do.

If you just compare him to his draft mates Ronnie Brown and Caddy Williams:

Ronnie has been injured 3 straight years and only had one spark of anything before tearing his ACL.

Caddy had rookie of the year honors and that's all she wrote for his career.

Benson helped get his team to a Super Bowl and had competent RB competition, unlike the other two.

All 3 are busts, but Ronnie B and Caddy don't get any hate. They all ate up their team's pocketbook for little to no gain.

Dumbfounds me why Benson is the whipping boy.

The only good thing Forte has going for him is that Benson sucks. Nobody can explain why Forte is any good in his own right. He's better just because he's not Benson? Forte is just a stop gap player, not really good at anything. Replaceable within 2 years.

Seriously, riff. Take your meds. Forte will do a very good job in CHI. Will he make people forget Walter Payton? Highly unlikely, but the guy is very talented, has a great work ethic, and leads by example.

With the upgrade on the O-line, he'll bring some respectability back to CHI's running game.

Edited by Bronco Billy

There are some purty rose-colored Texas and Chicago homer glasses.

Caddy and Ronnie, at the very least, have shown they have the ability and mental capacity to be an NFL starting RB. As far as I know, neither has pissed off teammates and gotten in trouble with the law; Benson has done both before he ever proved his worthiness as a NFL player.