[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson arrested

tazinib1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I called my dad and told him, 'Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police on Lake Travis,' " said Elizabeth Cartwright, 22, a friend of Benson's from the University of Texas. "It's more what I heard than what I saw. I have never heard or seen Cedric that scared."
She says she is willing to submit her document as evidence supporting his account. She said her fiance also took dozens of photographs that help corroborate her claims.

In a 45-minute phone interview, she explained that she chose to come forward because of concerns that Benson's reputation was being "tainted" by accounts of the incident.

LINKAGE

"Cartwright, an English major at the University of Texas who is to graduate later this month, estimated she and her fiance had been boating with Benson six times this spring and each time a Lower Colorado River Authority boat pulled them over for a safety check."

It's going to be interesting to see exactly how often his boat was stopped for a "random safety check". They do keep records on that stuff, I assume.

"We don't take kindly to you people 'round these parts..." (shifts toothpick from one side of his mouth to the other, and slowly moves his hand toward the mace)

"We don't take kindly to you people 'round these parts..." (shifts toothpick from one side of his mouth to the other, and slowly moves his hand toward the mace)

Why would she call her parents to have them call 911? Did she not know the number herself?

I'm having a tough time deciding which one is funnier. :wacko:

Why would she call her parents to have them call 911? Did she not know the number herself?

My guess is that she wanted to be able to pay attention to what was going on and not be talking to the 911 operator, and also that she did not want her call to be interrupted by the police that were right there.

I just saw where his friend said he was treated unfairly. It was said she was actually on the phone with her father asking him to call 911...anyone know anything about that? And supposedly her fiance took lots of pictures...

:wacko:

She probably needs a recipe to make ice too...

:D

Another eyewitness has emerged to support Benson's claim that he was mistreated.

Toby Patch was at nearby Emerald Point Marina on Saturday night when he claims he saw police "manhandling" Benson after taking the running back off the boat and heading to a squad car. Patch was not one of the 15 people on the boat.

"As they were taking him up the dock, they stopped, he said, 'I am fine, I can continue walking,' and they put their legs behind his knees and knocked him over his knees and started hog-carrying him," Patch told KXAN-TV in Austin.

Near the parking area, Patch says the treatment of Benson worsened.

"They ended up--I don't know why--but laid him on his back, I heard him say, 'Please don't pepper spray me, please don't pepper spray me,'" Patch said. "It was uncalled for, it was ludicrous, no point for it."

Patch's version sounded similar to the account Benson friend Elizabeth Cartwright, who was on the boat, gave the Tribune on Tuesday night.

"Cartwright, an English major at the University of Texas who is to graduate later this month, estimated she and her fiance had been boating with Benson six times this spring and each time a Lower Colorado River Authority boat pulled them over for a safety check."

It's going to be interesting to see exactly how often his boat was stopped for a "random safety check". They do keep records on that stuff, I assume.

The correct answer is: six out of six. True story.

Her phone's battery was dying.

Source: My eyes reading today's paper here in Austin.