[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hamstring injuries

devilwoman

I wish I could develop a drink or type of clothing that would help prevent hamstring injuries...I'd be rich beyond my dreams. Already Dexter Jackson pulled his hammy as has Mendenhall...no word how serious...could be just a strain...but these hamstring injuries can be brutal to the start of camp for Rookies.

Hamstring injuries seem to be unusually common for rookies. I wonder why? It is not like these guys have never been conditioned.

Hamstring injuries seem to be unusually common for rookies. I wonder why? It is not like these guys have never been conditioned.

It has a lot to do with returning to the field. A lot of these guys don't do much "on field work" in the off-season. I mean, they stay in shape, but there is no substitute for running and cutting with your cleats gripping the turf/grass. In actuality, you body needs the off-season for a break from that wear and tear. The downside is, when you come back and begin running full speed in cleats, there are a lot of hammy and quad injuries and tweaks. Just comes with the territory.

Happens to me almost every spring when I begin cross-training. No matter how prepared I think I am, how well I stretch, I seem to tweak something the firs time out there...

Happens to me almost every spring when I begin cross-training. No matter how prepared I think I am, how well I stretch, I seem to tweak something the firs time out there...

Yeah, me too. :wacko:

:wacko: I ususally tweak mine getting off the bar stool. No matter how much I stretch my elbow :D

Well, if you'd stop grabbing your dinky every time you stood up you wouldn't have that problem.

From having watched camps, I'd guess that the rookies don't take stretching and warming up seriously.

Callistentics seems to be more of a team-bonding/get-your-head-around-the-work-day type thing. The guys don't really get after stretching and do more good natured cajoling/half-hearted movement. I'd guess that by the time the vets hit the fileld, they're fully warmed & stretched already and are close to ready to go full speed, and the young guys haven't figured out the routine yet. Then while they're not completely ready, they're going balls-to-the-wall to try to impress vets & catch the coach's eyes.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Dehydration is a large cause. They haven't worked out that hard in months.

Conditioning. Players working out on their own do more straight line running and weight lifting.

Especially if they were primarily working out for the combine events, that takes specialized training, not football training.

Change in training location can play a part. The body takes a little bit to get used to new locations.

I don't know how much difference there is between Chicago and Pittsburgh, if any.

I do know that in Washington, there's a huge difference between western and eastern Washington when it comes to climate change.

Silly stuff you take for granted like the wind coming of those northern lakes, the dry heat of Arizona, mile high thin air, thick humidity, or even allergies to something in the new local area. Anything may take just a little bit more oxygen out of the bloodstream.

Luckily, the body adapts quickly.