[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A purely hypothetical question re: NFL draft

Cunning Runt

My first question is really a precursor to a hypothetical question my 15yr old asked me over the weekend.

First question: Does a player entering the draft (seniors included), have to officially "declare" for the draft (ie fill out any specific paperwork with the NFL making themselves available in order to actually be drafted)?

My hypothetical question/scenario following is based on a "yes" answer to this question.

What if a top-tier (or really any tier) player wanted to play for a specific team, but knew the chances that he would actually get drafted by that team were slim to none. Could that player not "declare" thereby making him undraftable in the normal draft process, while at the same time telling the team he really wanted to play for that he wasn't declaring because he then wanted to sign with that team as an undrafted free agent. And oh ya, save some money back because even though I was "undrafted", I still want fair market as if I would have been. Maybe the team even passes on their pick knowing this player would be signed as an undrafted free agent after the draft itself were over.

Surely this isn't a realistic loophole is it?

From the CBA:

ARTICLE XVI

Section 2.(d) No player shall be eligible to be employed by an NFL Club until he has been eligible for selection in an NFL Draft.

Thanks - that would seem pretty cut and dry. I am curious what exactly makes a player "eligible for selection".

Thanks - that would seem pretty cut and dry. I am curious what exactly makes a player "eligible for selection".

I didn't research it, but I'd guess that it has to do with filling out some paperwork for the league and/or union. If a player isn't eligible for the regular draft for any reason (and they don't get to choose whether they are or aren't - there is language in the CBA regarding it) they will be placed into the supplemental draft if the league chooses to have one that year. Otherwise, they have to wait until the following year.

Regardless, any player coming into the league has to pass through the draft process before they can play in the league.