[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie LB Rankings

OK, I already said that I dont really like rankings in general and why and especially this early but since people have been asking here is a small sampling to hopefully tide everyone over.

These are Dynasty Rankings for tackle heavy leagues:

Tackle heavy scoring.

1. Curtis Lofton: ATL

Talent and a great situation. Keith Brooking isn't getting any younger and will make room for Lofton sooner then later at MLB. A worst case scenario is that Lofton pushes Stephen Nicholas out of the starting WLB gig for this year.

2. Jordan Dizon: DET

Let the uninformed in your leagues draft by name recognition (Mayo, Gholston and even Connor) and you take Dizon who should be very productive as the MLB of the future for the Lions. Need proof just look at what Paris Lenon did at MLB last year. There is a chance that Dizon could start the season as SLB but don't fret it will only be temporary. If he does indeed start out at SLB use that as a chance to try and buy him low.

3. Keith Rivers: CIN

Rivers should be just what the Doctor Bengals ordered(read: Not a thug). Rivers, Brooks & Thurman could very well be the starting LB crew for the Bengals at the start of the season. If those 3 do indeed end up starting you can expect that they will all canablize each others stats somewhat.

4. Tavares Gooden: BALT

It won't be this year but Gooden is the heir apparent to Ray Lewis in a very productive MLB position.

5. Dan Connor: CAR

Connor will probably go higher then he should simply on name recognition alone. While he should still be a productive fantasy LB his upside is going to be limited by a 2 down role. There is just no way he will bump either Jon Beason or Thomas Davis from nickel packages.

6. Xavier Adibi: HOU

Morlon Greenwood is going to turn 30 this summer and will make $4.017 million this year and $4.768 million in 2009. Adibi is another guy you are probably going to have to wait a bit for but if he shows promise this year he could be the starting WLB for the Texans by 2009.

7. Jerod Mayo: NE

Why in the world did Mayo have to end up in NE. Had he landed with a team like Atlanta, Detroit or even Kansas City he very well could have been #1 on this list. While NE is OLD at LB his value in the NE scheme should be much less then what it should be for where he will usually be drafted.

8. Beau Bell: CLE

The upside for Bell is if he can wrestle a starting gig over Leon Williams/Andra Davis. Andra Davis was a very strong starting LB a few seasons ago before he started to share snaps with Leon Williams. If anyone guy wins that job they have very nice upside.

Cleveland had to sit out day 1 but they were more then pleased to land Bell on day 2.

9. Philip Wheeler: IND

The Colts have proved they can plug and play LBs with their system. Wheeler has very good value if he were to ever take over at MLB and extremely good value if he ends up at WLB, which could be a distinct possibility if Keiaho can't stay healthy.

10. Geno Hayes: TB

Another player that could land in a very productive fantasy spot but it could very well be a 3 way battle between Cato June, Quincy Black (drafted 68th overall in 2007) & Hayes who was drafted 175th overall this year.

Key omission: Vernon Gholston NYJ

Gholston will not be a viable and consistent fantasy starter in tackle heavy leagues. I think he will be another Joey Porter fantasy wise.

Sneaky sleeper: Spencer Larsen DEN

Larsen was a 6th round selection (183rd overall) that doesn't really have to long a road to hoe to nab one of the most production MLB jobs in fantasy land. If you really think Niko Koutouvides is the answer for the Broncos at MLB then look elsewhere for a sleeper but you should be able to draft Larsen very late and that makes his risk/reward very attractive.

Edited by keggerz

I wasnt able to get a single LB this year in the draft...that was one of my needs for depth.

You could have. You reached for a TE instead :wacko:

but then again, who hasn't grabbed a TE? :D

Edited by Zooty

:D It's not too difficult to Google "rookie IDP rankings" and find this information...

Are you saying rather than pay the Huddle I should just google rankings? :wacko: I think I'll stick with the pro's but wish there were quicker rookie rankings. You may not have the time but someone must. They could pay Zooty.

Are you saying rather than pay the Huddle I should just google rankings? :wacko: I think I'll stick with the pro's but wish there were quicker rookie rankings. You may not have the time but someone must. They could pay Zooty.

:D You complain about the writers putting up rankings, thereby somehow "exposing" Lofton, and now you're complaining that the rankings aren't up quick enough? Pick a side already.

Edited by darin3

Low blow man...can't we all just get along?

Low blow man...can't we all just get along?

:wacko: I didn't take it as a low blow, but you just can't complain about the staff writers posting rankings (thereby exposing one of your supposed "sleepers") and then turn around and complain about the rankings not coming out soon enough. Makes no sense.

I have already stated my stance on rankings in general and especially on rankings that are done this soon.....I put out a top 10 because it was asked for but I dont really see what that does to help people....the top 4 can be jumbled and still make sense....Lets see what shakes out in OTAs and camp so that the rankings are less subjective, imo

wanna talk about how a player might fit with their new team and what their short term and long term outlook is then start a thread about the player and I am sure that the ensuing discussion will be worth FAR more then any set of rankings could ever be.

also with regards to IDP content....it is no secret that people want more IDP content from the huddle. We are working on it....we want to grow the IDP content as much if not more then anyone....just because we arent first to market with a set of rankings after the draft doesn't mean we aren't doing what we can to grow this forum and the huddle's IDP content too.

I have already stated my stance on rankings in general and especially on rankings that are done this soon.....I put out a top 10 because it was asked for but I dont really see what that does to help people....the top 4 can be jumbled and still make sense....Lets see what shakes out in OTAs and camp so that the rankings are less subjective, imo

wanna talk about how a player might fit with their new team and what their short term and long term outlook is then start a thread about the player and I am sure that the ensuing discussion will be worth FAR more then any set of rankings could ever be.

also with regards to IDP content....it is no secret that people want more IDP content from the huddle. We are working on it....we want to grow the IDP content as much if not more then anyone....just because we arent first to market with a set of rankings after the draft doesn't mean we aren't doing what we can to grow this forum and the huddle's IDP content too.

I think people may be looking because their rookie drafts are starting. And not everyone has the time to scour the internet for opinions on who to take when they have to choose between Dizon and Mayo or River and Conners for example.

You guys do a great job during the season but unfortunately most drafts occur way before OTAs and TCs.

One thing that would help the forum is if people would ask pointed questions about how so and so may fit into his new team or post any info they pick up on homer websites.

And if Randall or anyone wants my list, you can PM me for my Paypal address :wacko:

I think people may be looking because their rookie drafts are starting. And not everyone has the time to scour the internet for opinions on who to take when they have to choose between Dizon and Mayo or River and Conners for example.

You guys do a great job during the season but unfortunately most drafts occur way before OTAs and TCs.

One thing that would help the forum is if people would ask pointed questions about how so and so may fit into his new team or post any info they pick up on homer websites.

And if Randall or anyone wants my list, you can PM me for my Paypal address :D

:wacko: that is what I am saying...those discussions would be WAY more valuable then any ranking set :D

:wacko: that is what I am saying...those discussions would be WAY more valuable then any ranking set :D

+1 ... we've attempted various ways at doing this.... doesn't take off the way we want, but what we do get is at least a little valuable... will probably start up something here in a week or two

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...debuts_bro.html

On defense, rookie Curtis Lofton and second-year Georgia product Tony Taylor rotated at middle linebacker. Keith Brooking returned to his natural spot at weakside linebacker. Coach Mike Smith said that a lot of the positions changes are experimental, although Brooking feels far more comfortable at weakside linebacker than inside.
Edited by Zooty

I really like Mayo where he is going. NE MLBs have put up very credible and under-rated FF numbers with guys who are hard nosed players but who are limited athletically. When Mayo gets his shot, he ought to post legit #1 LB numbers for a decade.

He, Lofton (who goes into a great spot in that teams are going to run the ball a lot in ATL, and he's the guy who gets to clean it up), and Dizon (who is a tackling machine and goes to a team where turn Lenon always posted decent FF numbers, think what Dizon will do...), are real toss ups as to whom will be the best of the three, and they are head & shoulders above the other guys.

I'm not crazy about Rivers at all. He's just not instinctive and is limited physically. He's a good fit for CIN in that he's got great character, and they have a tremendous need at WLB. If Rivers were forced to play in the middle, he gets lost in the trash & locating the ball and just wouldn't be effective, and at SLB he'd get swallowed up by OTs or OT/TE double teams - he doesn't fight off the blocks well. At WLB, he'll be solid but not spectacular - but that's a damn sight better than what CIN has there right now.

Conner probably figures to be a 2 down MLB IF he can force Beason over. That's questionable. He's a very good run stopper but will probably have to come out on passing downs. He'll make his bones on tackles.

Adibi is probably the best value in the draft right now considering the numbers he could put up and where he's being drafted. He figures tro slide seamlessly into Greenwood's spot, and ought to be a perfect fit in HOU's system. He probably won't put up the numbers that the top 3 guys will, but he comes a lot cheaper and could edge up into #2 FF LB status.

I'm not crazy about Bell's or Wheeler's opportunities. I'm not sure either is better than they guys each team has playing in front of them. They may end up as special teamers who provide injury depth at 2 LB positions, and will need help from an outside source to see the field regularly.

I do on the other hand like Hayes' opportunity, as I like Larsen's. Both guys go to teams with needs at their specific position, and both guys fit very well as far as what their strengths/weaknesses are right into those positions. hayes may have to wait a year to get a good shot, but he'll be playing a spot that amasses a lot of FF numbers. Larsen figures to be in the thick of a fight for a starting spot immediately, and he's tailor-made to fit into a position that accumulates tons of tackles. He'd probably be a 2-down LB (but he might sneak onto the field in passing downs a few times), but that would be enough to make him a solid #2 LB, and a great #3 LB if he were to win the spot.

I don't like Gholston at all, and I didn't like the pick as soon as it was made by the Jets. He doesn't fit their D in the least - he'll get swamped as a 3-4 DE, and he simply won't be nearly athletic enough to play LB. He'll get exploited badly playing in space at the pro level. If he were smart he'd sign a 3 year rookie contract at a reduced price and hope to go to a 4-3 team after that time & start all over. He's way behind the 8-ball right now where he is. He's Bryan Thomas all over again in that D, and you can see how valuable Thomas has been...

With Thurman being gone, does anyone feel differently for Rivers?

Sort of. He's still slated to play WLB.

Brooks is still SLB but Dhani Jones, yes that Dhani Jones is supposed to wear the headset and play MLB. I could guess that if Rivers picks up the D quickly he could end up at MLB.

Sort of. He's still slated to play WLB.

Brooks is still SLB but Dhani Jones, yes that Dhani Jones is supposed to wear the headset and play MLB. I could guess that if Rivers picks up the D quickly he could end up at MLB.

Everything I've been reading has Dhani Jones as the only LB the coaching staff trusts right now on the field. Read something about him as a defensive leader and now the starter at MLB. He had a great year last year... I'm just sayin is all....