[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Perry finally ready

ROYALWITCHEESE

The reason the Bengals didn't take a running back in last month's NFL Draft wasn't because they wanted to sign Shaun Alexander, who had been released by Seattle.

The reason is that running back Chris Perry, their oft-injured 2004 first-round pick, appears to be healthy and ready to play this year.

Perry, 26, who has played just one full season in four years in the NFL, has two years remaining on his rookie contract.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Sunday that Perry will be available Tuesday when the team begins voluntary on-field work. Perry was placed on season-ending injured reserve in 2007 after sustaining a serious ankle injury Nov. 26, 2006.

A deal with Alexander, who will turn 31 in August, is risky. He played in 13 games with 11 starts last season, missing three games because of a sprained left knee. He played through a left wrist fractured in Week 1. In 2006, he missed six games because of a severely bruised left foot that eventually resulted in a fracture.

Alexander visited Cincinnati on Sunday and Monday and New Orleans on Wednesday before returning to his home in Seattle without a contract.

A deal would be unlikely from the Bengals, who already have depth at running back in Kenny Watson - who rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns in 2007 - and promising third-year player DeDe Dorsey.

No discussions were held Friday between the Bengals and agent Jim Steiner, who represents Alexander.

"Nothing yet," Steiner said Friday in an e-mail to The Enquirer.

At this point, the Bengals appear to be counting on Rudi Johnson, who doesn't turn 28 until Oct. 1, to be their featured back. Johnson has two seasons remaining on a five-year contract. Lewis says - and Johnson agrees - that the player has healed from a hamstring injury that cost him five games and seven starts in 2007.

The Bengals want Perry to return to the role he occupied in 2005, when he played in 14 games with two starts and had 51 receptions and a 4.6-yard rushing average as Johnson's backup.

No way. I can't trust him to stay healthy, and regardless of what is being reported now, I don't see him as an every-down backup. If he's actually healthy for once, he'll steal a few touches from whoever has the job (particularly on 3rd down, as he's a better receiver than even Kenny Watson). Not worthy of fantasy consideration for me though.

late round at best.

That is what a sleeper is, no?

Just thought I'd put it out there since I hadn't seen a thread on it. His last season before injury, he caught 51 balls. If they are planning on him returning to that role, which it seems they are, I think he has some nice value as a late round pick...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

That is what a sleeper is, no?

Just thought I'd put it out there since I hadn't seen a thread on it. His last season before injury, he caught 51 balls. If they are planning on him returning to that role, which it seems they are, I think he has some nice value as a late round pick...

Maybe as a very, very late round pick. He was undrafted in the 22 round, 12 team draft today.

I have never understood the attraction to Perry.

2004 - played 2 games

2005 - played 14 games, missed two injured

2006 - played 6 games, missed ten

2007 - missed all 16 games

So in 4 years, of 64 possible games he has only played 22. And blown out a knee amongst other things. He's just a third down back who can never stay healthy. During the one of four seasons that he only missed 14 games, he had 51 catches but for only 328 yards (6.4 YPC) and just two TDs). He rarely had more than 3 or 4 rushes in a game and only had 279 rushing yards and no touchdowns. Nothing he ever did in 2005, his only year, ever equated to be a fantasy starter that I can see.

Other third down backs with similar number of catches:

2007: Kevin Faulk (47)

2006: Mewelde Moore (46)

2005: Chris Perry (51), Tony Fisher (48)

2004: FB Jerald Sowell (45)

2003: Shawn Bryson (54)

Ever want to have any of those as a fantasy starter?

I just see him as almost all risk and very little upside.

what is happening with Kenny Irons any info?

Irons is still recovering from his knee injury and likely will not be ready for training camp. There is some speculation that he will be on the PUP this summer and that could carry into the season potentially.

Irons is still recovering from his knee injury and likely will not be ready for training camp. There is some speculation that he will be on the PUP this summer and that could carry into the season potentially.

As a Bengals season ticket holder,that's what I'm hearing.Maybe wrong,but I'd be surprised if he was ready to start the season.

I think DMD nailed it. Hugh injury risk. The guy has talent. But the only way he sees significant action is IF (1) Rudi is significantly injured and (2) is not injured himself. Long odds for sure. The only way I see him getting drafted is if you already own Rudi and have a very deep draft.

Kenny Irons will almost certainly start the season on the PUP. The last report I saw in April said he still had a limp. First year coming back from an ACL... not much to get excited about there.

IMO, Rudi's primary backup will likely be Kenny Watson again.

Ive been waiting on Perry in a dnasty I drafted him in in 06. Yeah well, I got tired of waiting and sold him for a buck. He is garbage, and will never be the back anyone thought hed be.

You robbed someone if you got anything for him.

Ive been waiting on Perry in a dnasty I drafted him in in 06. Yeah well, I got tired of waiting and sold him for a buck. He is garbage, and will never be the back anyone thought hed be.

Why do you guys call injured players busts or garbage. Playing football in the NFL is dangerous and many can't take the pounding.

If he trained poorly I can see it, but it seems he is injury prone.

Why do you guys call injured players busts or garbage. Playing football in the NFL is dangerous and many can't take the pounding.

If he trained poorly I can see it, but it seems he is injury prone.

Would you draft KiJana Carter if he were playing? No? Me neither, because he would be GARBAGE on your roster. Dont take things so literal...

Would you draft KiJana Carter if he were playing? No? Me neither, because he would be GARBAGE on your roster. Dont take things so literal...

:wacko:

Then don't draft him. We all have players that don't work out. It's the luck of the game. I have to drop players every year that don't make it. It was Ryan Leaf's fault because he really was garbage.

Don't take things so literal? It's my fault? I see.

:wacko:

Then don't draft him. We all have players that don't work out. It's the luck of the game. I have to drop players every year that don't make it. It was Ryan Leaf's fault because he really was garbage.

Don't take things so literal? It's my fault? I see.

The situation I was referring to with Perry was a dynasty. I wouldnt touch him in a redraft in any round. Thats all Im saying.

You know while these guys get paid a lot of money many go through a lot of surgeries and extensive rehab only to get hurt again. Often they bust their asses knowing full well their odds of playing again are slim.

Some have trouble getting out of bed after retiring.

OTA notes from this morning:

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Post-OTA notes

Some observations from practice, which went from 11 a.m.-12:20 p.m.:

-- Tailback Rudi Johnson, 100 percent after missing five games in 2007 because of a hamstring injury, said he is now in the area of 225 pounds, up from the 212 pound he played at last season. Johnson is carrying most of that added weight in his chest and shoulders, where, he said, "You've got to have it."

-- Tailback Chris Perry, on a football field for the first time since fracturing his ankle in November 2006, looked smooth and quick and showed his great hands in passing drills with a couple of one-handed catches. Perry said afterward that he has been humbled, is more appreciative of his chance to play football and thinks he can help the team again.

Bengals notes