[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

S. Jackson has high expectations. Should he be the #1 RB drafted?

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...B8?OpenDocument

SJax Playing for Big Contract

With about $1.7 million due him this season, RB Steven Jackson ranks as a major bargain among NFL running backs. But if the Rams want to keep him beyond 2008, it's going to cost the team. Jackson is entering the final season of the original five-year, $7 million deal he signed in July 2004 after the Rams made him their first-round draft choice (No. 24 overall) that year. His next deal, whether it's here or elsewhere, will be far more lucrative.

Jackson should enter the season healthy and will most likely be a top-5 pick in almost all drafts. Jackson has made it clear that he is ready to play this year so he can get a HUGE contract like other RBs have done in the past few years. Sounds like the perfect time to have SJax on your fantasy squad. There's was talk about him taking LT's place as the #1 overall RB/Player to draft last year. Was that talk a year too early? Will this be the year instead? :wacko:

| May 11, 2008 3:46 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...est_case-2.html

No Decision from Strahan

Giants DE Michael Strahan was at Giants Stadium working out on Thursday and talked with Coughlin, but did not give his coach any hints about whether he plans to return for a 16th season. Coughlin said Strahan told him, "Whatever the decision I make, I know that I'm not going to change my mind, so therefore I want to be right."

Strahan will likely put the decision on hold as he did last year, but with a Super Bowl ring on his finger he may lean towards retirement this season. If Strahan plays, he can be an adequate IDP defensive lineman, but you shouldn't expect big things with the questions surrounding him at this point.

| May 11, 2008 3:42 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...mp_N.htm?csp=34

Flacco Impresses

After the Baltimore Ravens traded up to select QB Joe Flacco with the 18th pick in the NFL draft, it's no surprise the team expects him to be the leader of the team's offense. Part of the journey to that position began Friday at Ravens minicamp when Flacco, on his first day in an NFL uniform, got tested — on the field and off — by the franchise's real leader, linebacker Ray Lewis. "I'm a fan of Joe Flacco," said Lewis, a two-time Defensive Player of the Year entering his 13th season. "But if you've met him, and I've been playing with him and messing around with him, his personality is incredible."

Many expect either Kyle Boller or Troy Smith to be the starting QB in Baltimore this season with Flacco taking notes, but Flacco has passes all test with flying colors thus far. Monitor this situation as he could turn into a sleeper QB.

| May 11, 2008 11:12 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/

Engram's Production Due To QB?

Sports Illustrated's Bucky Brooks is reporting that Seahawks officials think WR Bobby Engram's past production was high because of QB Matt Hasselbeck's belief in the veteran.

The team is likely going to go to more of a balanced offense this year with the signing of RB Julius Jones and RB T.J. Duckett, which will diminish Engram's role in the offense a bit. Since he is expected to start Week 1, he is still worth a WR3 pick, but don't expect great numbers out of him on a weekly basis.

| May 10, 2008 9:41 PM

If Jackson and his offense stay healthy he's unstoppable. Last year the Rams were his with everything they possibly could have... Pace goes out early, Bulger gets hurt, Holt isn't 100% all year... That team was doomed from the start. If he stays healthy along with his line, he will be the no.1 back in the league.

If Jackson and his offense stay healthy he's unstoppable. Last year the Rams were his with everything they possibly could have... Pace goes out early, Bulger gets hurt, Holt isn't 100% all year... That team was doomed from the start. If he stays healthy along with his line, he will be the no.1 back in the league.

+1

In a redraft league, If I have the 2nd pick, I take SJax.

So are you taking the proven LT, Westbrook was an absolute beast or a second year player who hasn't played an entire season of injury free football at 1?

LT

AP

SJax would be my picks unless St Louis offensive line proves it is vastly better.

LT

AP

SJax would be my picks unless St Louis offensive line proves it is vastly better.

Thats gonna be hard to gauge when most drafts occur (mid-August).

My 2008 redraft top 3:

Westbrook

LT

SJax

I don't think you can go wrong building around any of these guys, tho...lucid arguments could be made that any of them could be the top RB producer this year, depending on injuries to themselves or those around them.

This coming year reminds me quite a bit of the draft a couple years ago with LT/SA/LJ as the concensus top-3....

My 2008 redraft top 3:

Westbrook

LT

SJax

I don't think you can go wrong building around any of these guys, tho...lucid arguments could be made that any of them could be the top RB producer this year, depending on injuries to themselves or those around them.

This coming year reminds me quite a bit of the draft a couple years ago with LT/SA/LJ as the concensus top-3....

it's crazy because usually 2 of the top 3 or 4 are usually busts because of injury or something else..

My 2008 redraft top 3:

Westbrook

LT

SJax

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Rams backup Tackle Rob Pettiti ruptured his achilles. What a way to start the offseason for their O-line. Probably won't effect S-Jax too much if at all, but that O-line is something to keep a close eye on when discussing Jackson's value.

Rams backup Tackle Rob Pettiti ruptured his achilles. What a way to start the offseason for their O-line. Probably won't effect S-Jax too much if at all, but that O-line is something to keep a close eye on when discussing Jackson's value.

:wacko:

:D

I fully expect that I will personally rush for over 2100 yards and 32 TDs. I should get at least 100 catches for another 900+ yards and 10 TDs there as well. Throw in punt and kickoff returns for more unGodly numbers and record TDs along with the picks returned for TDs when they use me in the dime packaes and you'll HAVE to pick ME #1.

The only problem is that I have yet to sign with an NFL team. But after all... see my sig line.

Engram will be the team's #1 WR and will have at least 30 more catches than the next closest on the roster. He probably won't get near 100 again, but he should hold enough value to be a solid #2 in fantasy circles.

Engram will be the team's #1 WR and will have at least 30 more catches than the next closest on the roster. He probably won't get near 100 again, but he should hold enough value to be a solid #2 in fantasy circles.

In a 12-team league, in order to be a #2, he'd have to be the 13th-to-24th best WR in the NFL stat-wise. To be a "solid" #2, he'd need to be in the middle of that range. I just don't see it.

I think he's more a low-end #3, and bye-week filler...I can definiltey think of 24-30 other WRs I'd much rather have.

In a 12-team league, in order to be a #2, he'd have to be the 13th-to-24th best WR in the NFL stat-wise. To be a "solid" #2, he'd need to be in the middle of that range. I just don't see it.

In AFL, a standard PPR league, he was the 13 highest scoring WR last year....with Hackett gone and Branch out for what could be a half season or more, he may be able to improve on that. His age and lack of being used in the red zone are a concern. But, somebody has to be a #1 on Seattle's WCO. I would be happy to have Engram as my #3 WR.

S-Jax is #2 on my board again this year, despite him burning me last year with my #2 overall pick.

In fantasy circles, I'm not sure I see all the AP hype. Even in non-PPR leagues, his lack of solid receiving stats really hurt him. And even with Berrian on board, defenses are still going to be focused on stopping Peterson. If AP has an extremely healthy YPC of 5.0 for the season, 1600 combined yards and 12 TDs should still rank him behind LT, S-Jax and Westy. He's definitely top-5, but some people are picking him at #1 or #2, and I think that's too high.

S-Jax is #2 on my board again this year, despite him burning me last year with my #2 overall pick.

In fantasy circles, I'm not sure I see all the AP hype. Even in non-PPR leagues, his lack of solid receiving stats really hurt him. And even with Berrian on board, defenses are still going to be focused on stopping Peterson. If AP has an extremely healthy YPC of 5.0 for the season, 1600 combined yards and 12 TDs should still rank him behind LT, S-Jax and Westy. He's definitely top-5, but some people are picking him at #1 or #2, and I think that's too high.

I agree with you 100% on your feelings about ADP... And Westbrook being ahead of him... Westbrook should also be thrown in the top three if not higher in re-draft leagues...

In AFL, a standard PPR league, he was the 13 highest scoring WR last year....with Hackett gone and Branch out for what could be a half season or more, he may be able to improve on that. His age and lack of being used in the red zone are a concern. But, somebody has to be a #1 on Seattle's WCO. I would be happy to have Engram as my #3 WR.

Burleson had his moments last year. 9 TDs spread out over 8 games suggests that he'll probably improve (especially on his receptions and yardage) if Branch stays out and Burleson is playing all three downs.

But Engram was targeted more than Burleson (133 v 95) and had a much better reception ration (70.67% v. 52.63%). So even if Engram's involvement comes down a bit he's still probably the better WR in PPR leagues. And you've gotta think Engram's numbers will come down some; he's 35 and 2007 was by far his best year ever (most yards, receptions, and tied for most TDs). Still, he's so solid and dependable that it makes up for the fact that he probably hit his ceiling last year. So I guess I agree that I'd be happy to have Engram as my #3 WR for fantasy. But I will be curious to see how Engram and Burleson's ADP pan out in the coming months. They could both be worth owning.

ETA: based on some aggregated early mock draft results (12 team, TE-mandatory leagues) Engram is going in the mid-8th round; Burleson in the mid-11th. Both strike me as good value at those positions.

Edited by yo mama

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[

The team is likely going to go to more of a balanced offense this year with the signing of RB Julius Jones and RB T.J. Duckett, which will diminish Engram's role in the offense a bit. Since he is expected to start Week 1, he is still worth a WR3 pick, but don't expect great numbers out of him on a weekly basis.

| May 10, 2008 9:41 PM

I can't fathom why anyone would think that Julius Jones and TJ Duckett are going to do well this season or ever again.