[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Okay, Huddlers, help me out

Bronco Billy

I'm stuck. I've been puzzling over this for a while now and I'm still at a loss.

HOU signs Quinn Gray to a 1 year deal.

Why?

HOU has Rosenfels in place as their backup QB, and he performed capably in that role. I know signing Gray to a deal does hurt division rival JAX since they only have Lemon & Bouman as backups, but if they were serious about valuing Gray, they would have certainly signed him to more than a 1 year deal, especially since he's 3rd on the depth chart and he's not going to get enough work to run the O effectivelt this year if it were to come to that.

I thought they'd be dealing Rosenfels, especially with a few teams on the market for a solid backup who could fight for the starting job, but instead have stated there's no way they'd deal Rosey.

What am I missing here?

I think we often overevaluate moves teams make in signing players like this.

They need at least 3 QBs for depth, practices, scout teams.

So when Houston signs Quinn Gray or the Giants resign Derrick Ward

it doesn't mean that someone else is on the way out.

Usually it's just for depth and the best fit in their systems.

I certainly do think that they were seriously looking into trading Rosenfels at more than one point in htis offseason. But with that being said, I believe Gray was signed to be the 3rd QB. I wouldn't say that Schaud is a sever injury risk, but for the price they paid Gray, its not really a bad investment.

$850,000 for one year is a hell of a lot of money to spend for a TC arm.

A TC arm would indicate that he will only be there for TC and then be cut or placed on the practice squad. This shouldn't be the case with Gray. Schaub will be the #1,. Rosenfels the #2, and Gray the #3 with Brink on the practice squad.

Practice squad filler and nothing more.

He will either make it as the 3rd QB or get cut. At age 30 I dont see him as a practice suqad guy, especially with young undeveloped talent on the Texans roster abd only 8 roster spots. Add in the fact that teams do not get NFLE exemptions anymore and I think it is even less likely for him to be a PS player.

He will either make it as the 3rd QB or get cut. At age 30 I dont see him as a practice suqad guy, especially with young undeveloped talent on the Texans roster abd only 8 roster spots. Add in the fact that teams do not get NFLE exemptions anymore and I think it is even less likely for him to be a PS player.]

He is not eligible for the practice squad. Though he is 28 (not 30), he has 5 years of vested NFL experience and per rules the practice squad is for younger players, with the intent being that it is for developing talent so they have a chance to make the regular roster.

Section 4.

Eligibility:

A - The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more

than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL

experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games

during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third

season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List

during the entire period of his employment.

B - A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s

physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games

during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his

third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after

the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

Edited by Big John

He is not eligible for the practice squad. Though he is 28 (not 30), he has 5 years of vested NFL experience and per rules the practice squad is for younger players, with the intent being that it is for developing talent so they have a chance to make the regular roster.

OK, OK he is 5 days from 29 so I call it even. :D I didnt think he was eligible but was too lazy to look up the specifics. :wacko:

OK, OK he is 5 days from 29 so I call it even. :D I didnt think he was eligible but was too lazy to look up the specifics. :wacko:

I wasn't sure of the practice squad specifics either but thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps he's just a camp body. I can't see him sticking with the club TBH.

There are a few reasons why Gray was brought in.......spoken from a Houstonian's perspective.

1 - We had every intention of trading Schaub for a 2nd round pick in the 2008 rookie draft......that never came to fruition. When push came to shove, neither MINN or ATL were willing to give up the 2nd rounder HOU was looking for.

2 - With Schaub being injured last year & Rosenfels becoming a starter during that period, HOU didn't have much in the way of a backup QB to the backup QB. Gray could fill that role if Schaub has any setbacks or gets injured again in 2008. From the reports I've read on Matt, he's doing well and is hitting the weights and has bulked up abit.

3 - As it's been said already, Gray will come to town with alot of helpful JAX info. There's nothing better than signing with the divisional enemy........and Lord knows that HOU & JAX have had some beatdowns between them. Ever since the Texans arrived in 2002, JAX was designated their little whipping post.......and has proceeded to make this a divsion rival. Jacksonville just loves it when we wear the Battle Red spamshirts! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...