[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

5/16 Player Update

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

I have not been around this great place long enough to know what a Great guy Aqualung was or the unique dynamic he brought to these boards. However, for some reason, probably because of all the classy things being said about him in the tailgate and the emotions being expressed, I just have this dark cloud hanging over me tonight. And so when posting this update I felt moved to make mention of him. R.I.P. Aqua and know that the void you have left behind here at the Huddle Boards could never be filled by any other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-t...o&type=lgns

Cutler Adjusting to Diabetic Life

Broncos QB Jay Cutler recently found out he had Type I diabetes and he is adjusting to a new lifestyle. Cutler is now back up to 230 pounds, Cutler says he feels "10 times better" than he did a month ago. Yet he's still feeling his way through the abrupt lifestyle transition, enduring inconveniences like the time he went to dinner with friends, broke the needle off of the only syringe in his possession and drove home to get replacements, a process that took about an hour. The 6-foot-3 Cutler, who reported for training camp last summer at 242 pounds and struggled to get down to 235 by the season opener, suddenly began losing weight in October and dropped all the way to 202 by the final game.

Cutler seems to have figured out how to live with his type of diabetes and should be set for a big season in Denver. He has a big arm with enough weapons to be a low end QB1 in most leagues.

| May 16, 2008 4:45 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10827349

LT is Healthy

In a recent interview, Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson said he is fully healed from his MCL injury last season. "I'm running and cutting and everything is good," he said. "I'm ready to go."

Tomlinson's interview was mostly about the cheating antics of the Patriots, but he told us fantasy owners that he is healthy and that is all we need to hear to draft him #1 again this season. After 31 TDs in '06, he followed up with 18 TDs last year, but still remains one of the best in the game.

| May 16, 2008 4:23 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Harrison Watching OTAs

Colts WR Marvin Harrison reported for the Indianapolis Colts' mandatory three-day minicamp that opened Friday but did not practice with the team.

Harrison is likely on the sideline because of his knee rather than his off the field issues. Harrison has told the Colts that he was not involved in the shooting. Harrison did not play in the final 10 regular season games for the Colts after injuring his knee. He had arthroscopic surgery on the knee in January and should be ready to go for training camp. Well, he will be as healthy as a 12 year veteran can be at this point in his career. Keep your eye on him in training camp. He could drop in the draft and be a steal.

| May 16, 2008 3:45 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0379/1126/rss14

Jones Schedules Workout

Free Agent RB Kevin Jones is preparing for a combination audition/job search. Jones, released in March after four seasons with the Lions, has scheduled a workout June 28. He must show NFL teams he is healthy enough to play.

Jones was released by the Lions in March after another injury-plagued season. Jones has been a disappointment in his career, but still has the will to train and play in the NFL. He will eventually sign with someone and could be a nice steal late in your fantasy drafts. Jones actually had eight TDs last year before getting injured.

| May 16, 2008 11:08 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/0...rk_on_kfan.html

T. Jackson Gets Endorsement

Vikings OL Matt Birk called in to the Power Trip Morning Show on KFAN and gave QB Tarvaris Jackson a ringing endorsement.“This is the year," Birk said. "Do I think he has what it takes? Absolutely! Is it going to be ups and downs, bumps in the road? Absolutely. But I think he’s coming along. … I think he’s got what it takes. Obviously, it’s a big year for him and a big year for us, but I feel very good with him being our quarterback.”

If the O-Line is confident in Jackson, then this could be a sign of very good things for the Vikings. Jackson is considered a QB2 at best in most leagues, but could surprise. Consider him a sleeper. With Adrian Peterson in the backfield, he should get plenty of one-on-one coverage downfield.

| May 16, 2008 10:59 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/622341.html

LJ the Centerpiece

The list of tasks the Chiefs need to accomplish in the next month is massive. They need to work in a considerable number of rookies and other new players, learn coordinator Chan Gailey’s new offensive system and reestablish RB Larry Johnson as the centerpiece of their offense.

This is exactly what fantasy owners want to hear after LJ disappointed last year. Johnson was likely a top-5 running back in most drafts last year, but he didn't deliver. LJ had four total TDs in eight games last year before leaving to injury. He should be healthy this season and you may be able to steal him late in the 1st round.

| May 16, 2008 10:51 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Categor...ubCategoryID=26

Quinn Ready to Lead

The question was phrased this way to Browns QB Brady Quinn during a one-on-one interview after a spring practice: "If you find yourself on the field, can you be that quarterback a team hoping for a deep run in the playoffs needs?" Quinn didn't hesitate. "Oh, no doubt in my mind." Head Coach Romeo Crennel said the thing that most impressed him about Quinn as a rookie was his ability to lead — whether with backups in the preseason or as the "scout team" QB, often giving the No. 1 defense fits.

Quinn is an excellent choice in a dynasty league because he will see the field at some point for the Browns or another team. The problem in redraft leagues is that Derek Anderson is the starter and was a really good player. Keep your eye on Quinn but don't overspend at this point.

| May 16, 2008 10:47 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/five-to-watch.htm

Rivers Limited

Earlier this month, Chargers QB Philip Rivers conceded that his right knee would be a story throughout the summer and the entire 2008 season. To date, the results have been good. Rivers was heavily involved in mini camp and will participate in OCS’s at about the same pace. He’ll likely avoid the team periods but will benefit from throwing with his receivers during installation and individual drills.

Rivers is just taking it easy, but should be fine when the season rolls around. He is a tough QB that will be on the field. Rivers isn't a QB1, but he is very close. He has good weapons around him and would make an excellent middle round selection.

| May 15, 2008 10:35 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=5...mp;confirm=true

Culpepper Looking

Any team still looking for another quarterback has some intriguing choices, most notably former Raider Daunte Culpepper.Culpepper -- convinced he will be better this season now that he is two seasons removed from his knee surgery -- has been in contact with a handful of teams. But he is being selective, waiting for the right opportunity with the right team.

It is also possible that no team wants Culpepper anymore. He is done as a fantasy player and will likely only be a backup QB for the rest of his career.

| May 15, 2008 10:35 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Coin Flip for 1st Team Reps

Jets QB Chad Pennington worked exclusively with the first-team offense. What can we read into that? Not much. Pennington and Kellen Clemens are alternating days, and today was Pennington’s turn. Before the first practice, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer flipped a coin. Pennington called heads, and heads it was. So he went into the leadoff position.

Pennington and Clemens will most likely continue alternating until we get well into training camp. Neither QB holds much fantasy value after their performances last season. If you draft them, it should be very late.

| May 15, 2008 10:22 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/0...f_brainerd.html

Peterson a PPR Factor?

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson said he expects to catch more than 19 passes this season and for his overall game to be better, with the benefit of a year’s experience. He also said he expects the offseason addition of players like wide receiver Bernard Berrian “to kind of balance the offense out” and cut down on the number of eight- and nine-man fronts the Vikings faced in 2007.

Peterson may be the #1 pick in several fantasy drafts this season and more catches will push him past Brian Westbrook and LaDainian Tomlinson in PPR leagues if this were to actually happen. It is early, so don't put money on it just yet. However, you should still draft Peterson if you get the change. He is a beast.

| May 15, 2008 10:22 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T. Jackson Gets Endorsement

Birk was in Green Bay not long ago and his house is for sale in Minneapolis.

Perhaps he's talking up Jackson because that's what the Pack defense wants him to do. :wacko:

:D

I like what the Mangini era Jets have been doing.

Besides I wish someone in that division would take the evil Patriots down a notch. :wacko:

I hope Gholston introduces himself to Tom Brady every chance he gets. I like the pick of Keller too.