[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grey Goose Substitute

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG is very very very smooth; Ketel IMO had a stiffer bite. I would think Finlandia would be a nice "GG substitute", while Smirnoff would be a good "GG alternative" . . . if that makes any sense.

Peace

policy

so i asked someone in the biz... Finlandia.

. . . :wacko:

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

ac, for kicks you ought to get an assortment of shooters of different vodkas... chill em... then do a vodka tasting

We did this when my wife's family was here last summer. We got samplers of every decent vodka they had in the store. We tasted at room temperature.

GG

Smirnoff

Ketel One

Belevedere

Absolut

Skyy

Stolichnaya

In our group (mostly Appletini and Cosmo or vodka + juice drinkers) the clear winner was Skyy with a surprising showing by Smirnoff and Ketel One. GG was only marginally ahead of Absolut which came in last.

We did this when my wife's family was here last summer. We got samplers of every decent vodka they had in the store. We tasted at room temperature.

GG

Smirnoff

Ketel One

Belevedere

Absolut

Skyy

Stolichnaya

In our group (mostly Appletini and Cosmo or vodka + juice drinkers) the clear winner was Skyy with a surprising showing by Smirnoff and Ketel One. GG was only marginally ahead of Absolut which came in last.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...38&hl=vodka

So we did a blind taste test tonight and here are the results for 2 different formats

#1. Vodka with a dash of olive juice (which is what inspired this discussion to start with)

Wife's ranking.

1. Stoli

2. Smirnoff

3. Finlandia

4. Three Olives

5. Grey Goose

6. Skyy

Mine

1. Smirnoff

2. Grey Goose

3. Stoli

4. Three Olives

5. Skyy

6. Finlandia

#2. Vodka and Tonic - must admit discerning the difference her was very difficult at best but we still ranked em.

Wife

1. Skyy

2. Finlandia

3. Smirnoff

4. Three Olives

5. Stoli

6. Grey Goose

Me

1. Grey Goose

2. Skyy

3. Three Olives

4. Stoli

5. Smirnoff

6. Finlandia

Conclusions:

- My wife can't demand I buy her Grey Goose any more but I can demand she buy it for me.

- I hated Finlandia

- Skyy is good for tonics but not martinis

- Smirnoff is probably the best value

- We'll probably drink Stoli from now on and not feel too bad about price or classiness.

There was a dive bar back in college that served only Crystal Palace liquor. A couple of Tom Collins would put you right where you needed to be. :wacko:

What gin did you use in your Tom Collinses? And what drinks did you make with the Crystal Palace after you were drunk? :D

Peace

policy

What gin did you use in your Tom Collinses? And what drinks did you make with the Crystal Palace after you were drunk? :wacko:

Peace

policy

Ironically, the Tom Collins was born because of bath tub gin: it tasted horrible, so people mixed it up with a bunch of juice and fruit to get their drink on without gagging. So, in a way, fine gin has no place in a Tom Collins. Tanq is my fav. in the Tom Collins, though. They used to make a Malacca blend that was the bomb-diggity for a sweet Tom Collins, but Tanq don't make it anymore.

Ironically, the Tom Collins was born because of bath tub gin: it tasted horrible, so people mixed it up with a bunch of juice and fruit to get their drink on without gagging. So, in a way, fine gin has no place in a Tom Collins. Tanq is my fav. in the Tom Collins, though. They used to make a Malacca blend that was the bomb-diggity for a sweet Tom Collins, but Tanq don't make it anymore.

Malacca was a mighty fine gin... was it discontinued 8 years ago?? I haven't reid the Rangpur yet, but have heard good things. I usually drink Hendrick's or Sapphire...

• 1 month later...
We've recently been drinking Burnetts. I tell you, it's as good as any of the others and for the price you can't beat it, especially for V&T or other mixed drinks.

I bought a bottle of this since it's only for energy drink mixin...haven't tried it yet but will this weekend

The only time I've ever really hit the red bull and vodka (nice taste btw) was St. Paddy's day a couple of years ago.

We'd been drinking beer all day and somehow around 10PM found ourselves tired and disturbingly sober feeling. The Red Bull / Vodka did the trick and helped add to what was one of the worst hangovers I've ever had the next day.

Iceberg Vodka

Won the 2006-2007 Golden Icon Award for Best Vodka; the Golden Icon Awards are presented annually by Travolta Family Entertainment.

In 1998, the Beverage Tasting Institute gave Iceberg a 'superlative' score of 94 out of 100, ranking it second behind the acclaimed Grey Goose in a blind taste test of the world's best vodkas

According to the WA St Liquor board site, a .750 bottle is currently $11.73

My Vodka of choice is Belvedere. I use Iceberg for anything I am mixing.