[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals waive Odell Thurman

budlitebrad

"The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position, we've determined it's best to keep moving in a direction that does not include Odell."

:wacko:

Edited by budlitebrad

The Bengals are only going with 1 linebacker? :wacko: Who else do they have? Brooks is in trouble.

Dhani Jones is now in the middle? :D

Profootballtalk.com reports the move was made because Thurman didn't report for voluntary workouts.

Thurman, who was reinstated from suspension in April, didn't show for OTAs after the death of his grandmother. If the reasoning for his release is correct, the Bengals are violating NFL rules because the workouts aren't mandatory.

Thurman's parents are dead, his grandmother dies and he's taking care of family business and misses several voluntary practices.

I hope there is more to this than they are saying.

Edited by Randall

"Thurman's representatives have no immediate plans to file a grievance over Thurman's release, Lawson said. At the same time, at least two teams already have been in contact with representives to express their interest in possibly signing Thurman."

"Thurman's representatives have no immediate plans to file a grievance over Thurman's release, Lawson said. At the same time, at least two teams already have been in contact with representives to express their interest in possibly signing Thurman."

Sounds like a mutually beneficial divorce. Why didn't the Bengals draft another LB? Has Rivers ever played in the middle?

Denver maybe?

From the Enquirer.

Rep: No plans for Thurman grievance

The Bengals cleaned out Odell Thurman's locker Tuesday, the day he did not report for voluntary on-field practice, Safarrah Lawson, one of the linebacker's Atlanta-based representatives told the Enquirer this afternoon.

The Bengals announced late this morning that they had waived the second-year linebacker from Georgia.

Thurman attended the funeral for his grandmother, Betty Thurman, 80, on Monday in his hometown of Monticello, Ga. She had brought up Thurman after the death of his mother and death a few years later of his father.

"He was overcome by grief once he was down there," Lawson said. "The kid had a lot to deal with. She was the only family he had left."

The Bengals had three practices on field last week.

Thurman's representatives have no immediate plans to file a grievance over Thurman's release, Lawson said. At the same time, at least two teams already have been in contact with representives to express their interest in possibly signing Thurman.

"We just want to move on and get him back on the field," Lawson said. "He's disappointed. He wanted to reclaim his career in Cincinnati and help them get back to the playoffs."

(KFFL) Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Dhani Jones is expected to play middle linebacker this season. Jones is also expected to wear the in-helmet defensive communicator which was approved by the NFL last month.

Good player, could be a "great" player when all is said and done. WOW. He must really not be a good dude, as Cinci needed this guy really badly if they wanted to have any sort of a respectable defense this season. I think this move literally makes them two games worse this season than I would have projected them had they still had Thurman. I will never forget that picture of him being completely horizontal, 8 feet in the air, coming down on the quarterback. Freakish. If anybody knows the picture I'm talking about and has a link, that would be pretty rad.

Good player, could be a "great" player when all is said and done. WOW. He must really not be a good dude, as Cinci needed this guy really badly if they wanted to have any sort of a respectable defense this season. I think this move literally makes them two games worse this season than I would have projected them had they still had Thurman. I will never forget that picture of him being completely horizontal, 8 feet in the air, coming down on the quarterback. Freakish. If anybody knows the picture I'm talking about and has a link, that would be pretty rad.

bang.

(KFFL) Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Dhani Jones is expected to play middle linebacker this season. Jones is also expected to wear the in-helmet defensive communicator which was approved by the NFL last month.

:wacko:

Holy crap, the CIN D is going to suck this year. Dhani freakin' Jones in the middle of that D?

Good year to own Carson Palmer, despite all the flapping of mouths by his WRs. He's going to be throwing the ball a ton in the second half of games.

:D

Holy crap, the CIN D is going to suck this year. Dhani freakin' Jones in the middle of that D?

Good year to own Carson Palmer, despite all the flapping of mouths by his WRs. He's going to be throwing the ball a ton in the second half of games.

Not so fast.

2007 -- No Thurman, No Rivers, happy & productive WRs = Decent Palmer numbers. :wacko:

Apparently a caller on 700WLW stated he was sitting next to two Bengals DL at a Bengals players hangout(pub) and overheard them talking about how Odell was drinking again and making a mess of things.

Take it FWIW.

How the heck did he get up there?? There is nobody in the picture for him to jump over. Usually somebody kind of has to pop you up in the air to get that high. Just nuts. And if you don't mind me asking, how the heck did you find that? I looked for a long time.

Edited by Seahawks21

He's a bad SOB, freakishly fast and strong, and believe it or not, a smart football player. Even though he has had issues in the past I'm hoping ATL will pick him up, reunite him w. Vangorder his college D coach, now Atlanta's D coach.

How the heck did he get up there?? There is nobody in the picture for him to jump over. Usually somebody kind of has to pop you up in the air to get that high. Just nuts. And if you don't mind me asking, how the heck did you find that? I looked for a long time.

I just went to google, searched "Odell Thurman" in Images and it was the second result that came up:

http://www.bengals.com/fans/photoofyear05.html

The play began with a blitz up the middle by Thurman, the Bengals rookie linebacker who was making his professional debut. Backup Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel gave a pump-fake with the ball causing Thurman to instinctively leave his feet in an attempt to knock down the pass. Cassel, however, tucked the ball away and headed upfield as Thurman flew by him, at which time the shot was captured by Bengals team photographer Greg Rust, earning it the designation of 2005 Bengals Photo of the Year.
Edited by justin

He's not that high. Stand Cassel upright or lower Odell's legs and he's probably 2 feet in the air. His body lean and Cassel's ducking make it seem high.

Nice photo though.