[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newman To Re-sign With Dallas

Newman is expected to sign a seven-year deal in the neighborhood of $51 million.

Newman’s contract will rank right up with other cornerbacks who have recently signed new contracts, including Seattle’s Marcus Trufant, who signed a six-year, $50.2 million deal in March. San Francisco gave Nate Clements an eight-year, $80 million deal last season and Oakland recently signed DeAngelo Hall to a seven-year, $70 million contract after acquiring him in a trade with Atlanta.

Kind of a big contract for an older corner isn't it?

He's 29, the same age Clements was when he signed an 8-year deal last season. :wacko: I guess it depends on the position... late 20's appears to be more of the mid-point for a defensive back's career, while it's definitely on the downside for a running back, for example.

Kind of a big contract for an older corner isn't it?

He's 29, the same age Clements was when he signed an 8-year deal last season. :wacko:

He'll be turn 30 just as the season starts... Either way, I think he has 2-3 more years of being a top 10 corner, after that I believe we'll start to see his skills diminish somewhat. This signing to me proves that they're making a push now and for the next few following years. The contract will probably come out to being more of a 3-4 year deal which gives Jenkins plenty of time to grow into a starting spot. I also believe that when he signs, all of the non-sense about Dallas making a move to bring in a high profile WR via trade or FA will be put to rest... All in all, this is a good move for the cowboys.

I'd like to know what the signing bonus was, before I proclaim it a good deal, but the over all amount seems to make sense, assuming the signing bonus isn't too high.

Newman signed a six-year extension, but having to still account for prorated bonuses in the final year of his original deal, he signed a seven-year, $51 million deal which includes $22.5 million in guarantees and a $12 million signing bonus.