[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indy wins 2012 SuperBowl bid

tonyr0802

Link

ATLANTA – National Football League owners today voted to hold the 2012 Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

Advertisement

Indy beat Houston and Phoenix in a vote of the league’s 32 owners after losing by just two votes to Dallas for the 2011 game.

Despite its cold weather, Indianapolis had been expected to win because its competitors have hosted a Super Bowl since opening their stadiums.

For city, state and team officials, winning the right to host one of the world’s premiere sporting events is the culmination of an effort that began years ago when the Colts agreed to stay in the city. As part of that deal, Central Indiana counties raised taxes to build what has become a $750 million stadium.

From the beginning, organizers promised that a new home for the Colts could provide the area a substantial economic boost and an injection of pride for Hoosiers.

City and bid officials now have less than four years to prepare their vision for game week, including a Super Bowl “Village” that would transform Downtown into a week-long festival that could draw hundreds of thousands of visitors.

An even more ambitious task is their goal of leveraging game to revitalize the Near-Eastside, highlighted by a roughly $9 million practice facility that would then be handed over to Indianapolis Public Schools.

The vote was announced at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in the Atlanta suburb of Buckhead, where the NFL owners held their annual meeting. Indianapolis went first as the three competing cities gave 15-minute presentations, followed by a league analysis.

Bid committee president Mark Miles and Indianapolis Public Schools Superintendent Eugene White delivered the city’s presentation. Colts’ owner Jim Irsay completed the pitch.

Update: Indy's pitch met with ovation from owners

The Indianapolis team made a few last-minute enhancements in its presentation today, including boosting the number of stadium suites that would be set aside for the NFL's use.

Bid organizers said their presentation got a huge ovation from the owners.

"It went great. I didn't feel like we could do any more," said Jack Swarbick, the vice president of this year's bid.

Mark Miles, president of the bid committee, said Colts owner Jim Irsay told him not to fumble. Not only did the team hold onto the ball, he said, but "I'd like to think we scored some points, too."

Update: 'Hoosiers' actor piches Indy Super Bowl fun

ATLANTA -- Actor Dennis Hopper, nominated for an Oscar for his role as an alchoholic basketball coach in "Hoosiers," is lending his star power to Indianapolis in its bid for the 2012 Super Bowl.

Hopper appears in a video that is part of the city's 15-minute presentation before the NFL's 32 owners today in the Atlanta suburb of Buckhead. Owners will vote for a winner between presumed favorite Indianapolis and competitors Houston and the Phoenix areas.

While that's nice for Indy, cold-weather Superbowls suck.

They should just rotate the games between SD, Arizona, Miami, Tampa and New Orleans.

I don't think you have to worry about bad weather for the game... There is no difference inside the dome of New Orleans or Indy temp. wise.

I actually wish super bowl games could be played in cold weather cities without domes... A SB in the snow would be awesome.

I actually wish super bowl games could be played in cold weather cities without domes... A SB in the snow would be awesome.
Football was meant to be played outdoors in the cold. If the Superbowl fans don't want to pay a grand (or more) because they might be cold when they go outside, they can stay at home and give a real fan a chance to watch the game in person.

I'm happy for Indy that they won the SB bid. Indy is a great town downtown. My former employer hold two of Indiana's largest conventions every year in the convention center right next to the RCA dome and I always look forward to going down there.

Football was meant to be played outdoors in the cold. If the Superbowl fans don't want to pay a grand (or more) because they might be cold when they go outside, they can stay at home and give a real fan a chance to watch the game in person.

I'm happy for Indy that they won the SB bid. Indy is a great town downtown. My former employer hold two of Indiana's largest conventions every year in the convention center right next to the RCA dome and I always look forward to going down there.

amen on both counts.

However that is one butt-ugly looking stadium if this link is any indication. GDB a stadium that looks like an oil can.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=C...mp;confirm=true

I don't think you have to worry about bad weather for the game... There is no difference inside the dome of New Orleans or Indy temp. wise.

Detroit said that too, but you have to get to the dome. And a lot of activities happen away from the stadium.

Detroit said that too, but you have to get to the dome. And a lot of activities happen away from the stadium.

Indianapolis is set up different than Detroit. Downtown is very compact. All the major hotels, the convention center, the mall, and the new stadium are all connected by indoor walkways. You can set up a super bowl experience where you never, or rarely, have to go outside.