[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charles Grant indicted on manslughter charges

peepinmofo

In February, Capt. Will Caudill of the Early County Sheriff's Office said Grant was not considered an instigator or a willing participant in the fight, during which Grant was stabbed in the neck. Woodrow Gray was indicted on a charge of aggravated assault for attacking Grant. Gray also was one of the men charged with involuntary manslaughter. The others were Marshae Stromer, Anthony Williams, Jarvis Tinson and Rodreaco Gray.

Okay, so let me get this straight: Grant, according to a police captain, was not a willing participant in the fight, and even got stabbed in the neck during the altercation, but then he gets indicted by a grand jury in what looks like a "throw-spaghetti-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks" charge by a DA?

:wacko:

Playing devils advocate here...

If he wasn't a willing participant, how did he get stabbed? The Captain says he did not instigate the fight, but the DA could have eveidence that he or his his group may have. If that is the case, he could be held responsible even though he wasn't the shooter.

Night clubs + Young men with lots of money and a big ego = TROUBLE

Just look at the police blotter on profootball talk.com

Playing devils advocate here...

If he wasn't a willing participant, how did he get stabbed?

Walking out of the club and between the two groups going at it?

Coming to the defense of someone getting beaten down?

How did the woman get shot without being a willing participant?

From what I understand, the story from Grant's side seems to be that Grant was only trying to remove his cousin from the fight and was stabbed as a result.(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) I can only hope that is the case & considering the type of person Saints fans have known him to be so far that would certainly seem plausible. As for the indictment, my best guess if his story remains true is that the prosecution is doing this to try to force the participants to act as witnesses or face the charges. Even if Grant goes to court and is found guilty, which I don't think will happen, the charge he is facing is a misdemeanor affray (sp?) charge.

Edited by rajncajn

Walking out of the club and between the two groups going at it?

Coming to the defense of someone getting beaten down?

How did the woman get shot without being a willing participant?

In those cases he could get off. The grand jury usually doesn't indict stuff like that unless there is eveidence he was involved. I'm not making judgment that he is guilty, but there has to be something else to this that isn't reported.

Edited by Outshined

In those cases he could get off. The grand jury usually doesn't indict stuff like that unless there is eveidence he was involved. I'm not making judgment that he is guilty, but there has to be something else to this that isn't reported.

What was that saying about a ham sandwich and a grand jury indictment...

Don't they do this on Law and Order all the time?

"We'll indict everyone, lie and tell them all the others fingered them, and see who talks"

Sounds like they don't know what the hell happened in which case they should charge Pacman. :wacko:

Speaking of which where was Pacman at the time?

From what I understand, the story from Grant's side seems to be that Grant was only trying to remove his cousin from the fight and was stabbed as a result.(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) I can only hope that is the case & considering the type of person Saints fans have known him to be so far that would certainly seem plausible. As for the indictment, my best guess if his story remains true is that the prosecution is doing this to try to force the participants to act as witnesses or face the charges. Even if Grant goes to court and is found guilty, which I don't think will happen, the charge he is facing is a misdemeanor affray (sp?) charge.

What I remember from the original report, it stated he was stabbed in the neck while sitting in the passenger seat of his vehicle by a man he and a family member had an altercation with. So I would say this is more than "he just happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time" and is an innocent bystander. The original report also stated that he fired the shots from his vehicle at the man who cut him, one of which hit the woman. He wasn't charged then, but they never stated he was innocent of the allegations--just that he wasn't being charged. But now that he IS being indicted, I'd say the original story is more accurate than first thought...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

What I remember from the original report, it stated he was stabbed in the neck while sitting in the passenger seat of his vehicle by a man he and a family member had an altercation with. So I would say this is more than "he just happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time" and is an innocent bystander. The original report also stated that he fired the shots from his vehicle at the man who cut him, one of which hit the woman. He wasn't charged then, but they never stated he was innocent of the allegations--just that he wasn't being charged. But now that he IS being indicted, I'd say the original story is more accurate than first thought...

That is completely false, nor do I ever remember that being reported. The original report which was speculation was that Grant's cousin was the one who had the gun and it went off when Grant was trying to take it from him. Not even that report, to my knowledge, was ever confirmed. I've also seen reported that the stabbing occurred after the shooting. The only fact that I know of that has been stated is that the police captain said Grant was not considered to be an instigator or a willing participant in the fight. I would have to guess from that statement and based on the actual charges that he had little or nothing to do with the gun play involved... and again, while the indictment is for involuntary manslaughter it is of the misdemeanor affray type which would mean he only had involvement in the fight which resulted in the girl being killed, not that his participation resulted in her death.

I stand corrected....from the original blog.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/140515

Alledgedly, Charles Grant and an unnamed cousin were at a party in Blakely, Georgia last night. There was a verbal confrontation between Charles' cousin and another individual who went by the nickname "Possum". Later, Charles and his cousin were in his vehicle attempting to leave, when "Possum" approached the window and continued the altercation with his cousin. It was reported that Charles' cousin reached for a pistol with the intent to shoot "Possum". Apparently Charles reached for the weapon in an attempt to stop his cousin and the result was that the gun went off and struck a bystander, who was the pregnant female reported on earlier. It was also reported that while Charles was attempting to grab the gun from his cousin, the individual identified as "Possum" stabbed Charles in the neck. At this point, Charles had grabbed the pistol and proceeded to shoot "Possum".

The story I have received is that the pregnant girl was killed. "Possum" was injured and remains hospitalized. Apparently the stabbing injury inflicted upon Charles was only minor and he is currently being held under arrest. No other information on other individuals involved was available.

However, this is the actual initial report:

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/....xml&coll=1

Grant depicted as bar brawl victim

DE says his injuries are 'nothing major'

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

By Jimmy Smith

Although he was injured in an incident at a Blakely, Ga., bar early Sunday morning, Saints defensive end Charles Grant was no instigator or willing participant, according to police.

Capt. Will Caudill, chief investigator for the Early County Sheriff's Office, said that though the fracas is still under investigation, there appears to be no connection between Grant and a pregnant woman who died after being struck by gunfire, and Grant was a victim, not a perpetrator.

Korynda Reed, 23, of Blakely, was pronounced dead at Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan, Ala. Caudill said investigators are still awaiting autopsy results that are being performed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab.

"Right now, I don't know of any connection between the two," Caudill said Monday. "It appears that Ms. Reed was just a bystander who was struck by gunfire, and Mr. Grant was a victim of assault. We don't know if she was ever in the club."

On Monday, Grant said that his injuries were not serious, but he referred all other questions about the incident to his attorney.

"I'm good," Grant said by cell phone. "I'm good. It's nothing major. I'm up moving, walking. I'm good."

Grant said he was taken to the Early Memorial Hospital by ambulance.

"But I was good," Grant said.

Grant suffered a stab wound, possibly from a glass bottle, in the back right side of the neck, his attorney, Edward Tolley of Athens, Ga., said Monday.

The Saints again Monday said they would have no comment.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday the league was aware of the incident but would not comment.

"He's very fortunate," Tolley said Monday. "We're so grateful (the wound) missed everything. He could have been seriously injured, but blessedly it missed any major arteries or his spine."

Tolley said the wound was stitched inside and out and that by Sunday night, Grant was his customary jovial self.

Tolley, who went to Blakely on Sunday evening to gather facts, said it was his understanding that the woman who was killed was not part of the altercation, but a victim of random gunfire. While Tolley said that Grant was reportedly "bleeding profusely" from the wound, there was no significant blood loss.

"Clearly, whoever struck Charles struck him from behind," Tolley said. "He's getting follow-up medical attention today. But he'll be fine. There wasn't enough blood loss to have endangered his life."

According to Caudill, the fight began inside Club 92, a nightclub on North Church Street in Blakely, about 190 miles southwest of Atlanta about 1 a.m.

"It carried over outside, and that's where we believe Mr. Grant was assaulted," Caudill said. "It took place on the street. He's clearly the victim of an assault, but we can't comment beyond that. It was a melee; there were several different fights."

Caudill questioned Grant about the incident but said he didn't know about the severity of Grant's injury.

"He was pretty well bandaged up by the time I got there," Caudill said.

No arrests were made. The case remains under investigation, according to Caudill.

Tolley said no one seems to know what precipitated the fight.

"There were a couple of young men in there fighting, but Charles was not part of the fight," Tolley said. "He's a big guy. He kind of stands out in a crowd. This wasn't one of those deals where Charles went in and started a fight. He wasn't even drinking. I think that's important for people to know."

I stand corrected....from the original blog.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/140515

Alledgedly, Charles Grant and an unnamed cousin were at a party in Blakely, Georgia last night. There was a verbal confrontation between Charles' cousin and another individual who went by the nickname "Possum". Later, Charles and his cousin were in his vehicle attempting to leave, when "Possum" approached the window and continued the altercation with his cousin. It was reported that Charles' cousin reached for a pistol with the intent to shoot "Possum". Apparently Charles reached for the weapon in an attempt to stop his cousin and the result was that the gun went off and struck a bystander, who was the pregnant female reported on earlier. It was also reported that while Charles was attempting to grab the gun from his cousin, the individual identified as "Possum" stabbed Charles in the neck. At this point, Charles had grabbed the pistol and proceeded to shoot "Possum".

The story I have received is that the pregnant girl was killed. "Possum" was injured and remains hospitalized. Apparently the stabbing injury inflicted upon Charles was only minor and he is currently being held under arrest. No other information on other individuals involved was available.

His cousin isn't named Odell Thurman is it? :wacko:

His cousin isn't named Odell Thurman is it? :wacko:

All the indictments were named including the shooter, but I have no idea which one may be his cousin. It could clear a lot up if we had that info.