[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steak marinades

Missoula Griz

Looking for some new options. I am getting sick of the same marinade I have been using for the last few years.

Current slop:

1/2 cup A1

1/2 cup italian dressing

1 1/2 tsp garlic salt

Can any of you suggest something different please? The Griz family does not like food to be too spicy.

TIA

Honestly, I may be old fashion but I usually just load the steak up with olive oil, sea salt and a little pepper. Overseasoning with the salt is actually key since most of it cooks off.

I then serve it with either some crumbled bleu cheese or do a quick port reduction and mushrooms to serve over the top.

Most of the time I'll eat it plain since I'm getting a nice sear and carmalization off the grill.

Here's a pretty good finishing sauce to add right before the steaks are done:

http://www.andrias.com/

You can also use it as a marinade.

Edited by twiley

Rub with

Seasoning Salt

Garlic and Pepper

Marinade with

Olive Oil

Red wine

Fresh garlic

Pepper

Worstershire Sauce

After marinading save sauce and reduce adding some sifted flour for a nice steak sauce...

I have found simply using Salt and pepper with a little Worcestershire to create a nice flavor.

Sometimes I go asian and use a little soy sauce as a marinade or use teriyaki as a marinade or as a BBQ sauce brushing it on in light coats

Guest Chappy

Soy Sauce

Worsterchire Sauce

Tiny squeeze of lemon juice and

Garlic Salt

Damn it's good!! A1 is crap compared to this mixture and quite honestly, I haven't tasted much better elsewhere. You can vary the amounts of each to your liking.

Soy Sauce

Worsterchire Sauce

Tiny squeeze of lemon juice and

Garlic Salt

Damn it's good!! A1 is crap compared to this mixture and quite honestly, I haven't tasted much better elsewhere. You can vary the amounts of each to your liking.

I thought you were only going to post under your other name from now on?

Stop confusing us. :wacko:

Edited by twiley

Guest Chappy
I thought you were only going to post under your other name from now on?

Stop confusing us. :wacko:

I seriously don't think it matters at this point. The point of the post should be the main focus, not so much who posted it. And since everyone knows who it is, how can it be confusing? Many Huddlers like Chappy better even after finding out the truth and have told me that I should keep posting under the name. I decided to do a little of both.

Enjoy the marinade.

I have never had to marinade a steak. A little salt and pepper on occasion, but my thought have always been to let the steak stand on it's own.

No steak sauce either.

I remember years ago taking a date to a real nice steakhouse here in KC. We ordered these beautiful filets, and my date asked the old waitress for some steak sauce. She replied, and I will never forget this quote: (she was an old German lady, with a deep accent)

"This is the best steak in town. It does not need steak sauce. I will not bring it to you." :wacko:

Edited by Chief Dick

I seriously don't think it matters at this point. The point of the post should be the main focus, not so much who posted it. And since everyone knows who it is, how can it be confusing? Many Huddlers like Chappy better even after finding out the truth and have told me that I should keep posting under the name. I decided to do a little of both.

Enjoy the marinade.

Whatever makes you two happy. :wacko:

i'll say that with nicer cuts of meat, i keep it simple.... oil (i like using infused oils), salt, and pepper. but i also like making sauces to go with it (ie: demi's, reductions, etc.).

for lesser cuts i have np marinating (usually like doing ones with at least a subtle glaze effect)

My local market had some good looking sirloin on sale this weekend so I bought some. I made a marinade that I have to say was pretty darn good. I took a can of chipotles in adobo sauce and minced them up pretty finely. Then I added some EVOO, liquid some, minced garlic, onion powder and S&P. I let them soak all day and threw them on the grill. Great flavor.

I usually just hit my steaks with a few sprinkles of McCormack's Montreal Steak seasoning while they're coming up to room temp, then slap 'em in a ripping hot cast iron skillet.

Man...there are a ton of good spices out there....If I'm cooking good cuts I use Johnny's Seasoning and Cholula Chili Roast Garlic.

If I'm cooking crap I use marinade consisting of Worcestershire, BBQ, and that Japanese sauce.

I'm more apt to cooking good cuts with spices.

Check out Cholula.....they make good dry spices...... http://www.cholula.com/

• 4 weeks later...
For my steaks I use a rub with no marinade:

Put a little olive oil all over. On one side add garlic salt and dried sweet basil and on the other add lemon pepper.

It's awesome.

I tried this Saturday night. We really liked it.

I tried this Saturday night. We really liked it.

Cool.

I have done this with all fresh ingredients from time to time. Crushed garlic, Kosher Salt, fresh basil on one side, and lemon juice with ground black pepper on the other. Probably not as good if you put a hard sear on it but more flavorful if not.

I'm probably just piling on at this point, but I just can't bring myself to marinade a steak (at least not a decent one). Beef is one of the most naturally delicious substances on earth. I use rubs with the intent of enhancing and adding to the natural beef flavor, as opposed to dominating it like marinades.

I'm going to try AC's olive oil rub next time. That sounds yummy. :wacko:

I'm probably just piling on at this point, but I just can't bring myself to marinade a steak (at least not a decent one). Beef is one of the most naturally delicious substances on earth. I use rubs with the intent of enhancing and adding to the natural beef flavor, as opposed to dominating it like marinades.

I'm going to try AC's olive oil rub next time. That sounds yummy. :wacko:

We are allowed to discuss cooking/grilling/recipes in here. After all, we're tough men. You are not allowed to say "yummy." It offends my masculine sensibilities.

I'm going to try AC's olive oil rub next time. That sounds yummy. :D

You're right, but I have a 9-month-old. Cut me some slack. :wacko: