[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't send the wife for meat...

So, my wife goes to Costco today and I ask her while she's there to see if they have Boston Butt's for smoking tomorrow. As I am just now opening up the package I realize it's boneless pork shoulder. All I've ever done is bone in butt so I have questions.

1. Is shoulder the same as butt? What's the difference if not and how do I switch things up to accomodate?

2. I assume not having the bone will reduce cooking time. Is that true and how much?

TIA

So, my wife goes to Costco today and I ask her while she's there to see if they have Boston Butt's for smoking tomorrow. As I am just now opening up the package I realize it's boneless pork shoulder. All I've ever done is bone in butt so I have questions.

1. Is shoulder the same as butt? What's the difference if not and how do I switch things up to accomodate?

2. I assume not having the bone will reduce cooking time. Is that true and how much?

TIA

Butt = Shoulder. I think you're probably right about cooking time. Not sure how much less time you'll need though.

Butt = Shoulder. I think you're probably right about cooking time. Not sure how much less time you'll need though.

I always use the one hour per pound in either situation, and then use my meat thermometer as my guide.

it will cook faster without the bone in there... as cd said, use your thermo.

Well, it hasn't been any quicker that's for sure. Glad I didn't plan on that.

But, here we are 25 1/2 hours later and she's at 195 degrees. Now it's a matter of when, not if!!

For god's sake man, keep us posted!!!

If your smoker temp stays between 225 and 250 then you can use 1 1/2 hour per pound as a rough guide for time. As always the thermometer is the only way to really tell.

For god's sake man, keep us posted!!!

Turned out really good. A couple of sections of one of the shoulders got a little dry out which I don't think would have happened with a bone-in version but the extra surface area for the rub was nice.

When rough guessing time would you factor in total lbs if you're doing more than 1 butt or just the weight of the largest? Anyway, I typcially keep my smoker in the 210 range so that will obviously add cooking time.

Turned out really good. A couple of sections of one of the shoulders got a little dry out which I don't think would have happened with a bone-in version but the extra surface area for the rub was nice.

When rough guessing time would you factor in total lbs if you're doing more than 1 butt or just the weight of the largest? Anyway, I typcially keep my smoker in the 210 range so that will obviously add cooking time.

I wouldn't do total pounds, just the weight of the largest. However, there are a lot of things that can affect cooking time including temp and humidity outdoors. It's just a guide. If you're doing multiple butts then I would suggest a remote thermometer for each one or one that can accept multiple probes.

For me, 210 is too low. I typically will start low, somewhere between 225 and 250. The meat can only absorb so much smoke, so with a pork shoulder I will ramp up the temp after about 6 hours. I will even take it up to 275 to 300 to get it up to the internal temp of 200 for pulled pork.

Cuts down the cook time and doesn't affect the meat much at all. And I usually will smoke no larger than an 8 or 9 pound shoulder.

For me, 210 is too low. I typically will start low, somewhere between 225 and 250. The meat can only absorb so much smoke, so with a pork shoulder I will ramp up the temp after about 6 hours. I will even take it up to 275 to 300 to get it up to the internal temp of 200 for pulled pork.

Cuts down the cook time and doesn't affect the meat much at all. And I usually will smoke no larger than an 8 or 9 pound shoulder.

I agree. I've even finished them in the oven (350) when I needed to hit a specific serving time. After the first 6 hours or so you won't add additional smoke. The only thing is you have to careful about not drying out the meat.

Edited by Kid Cid

• 1 month later...

I have learned this is necessary as well - that dang plateau can be a buggar to get through without ramping up the heat.

TIA

LOL