[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver Broncos running back Selvin Young dreams big.

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/662809.html

Denver Broncos running back Selvin Young dreams big.

Even though he was an undrafted free agent last season and has never rushed for 1,000 yards, Young's goal is to become only the sixth 2,000-yard rusher.

"People call me crazy," Young said in a telephone interview. "I got a lot of laughs, too, but I really think it's in me. I feel comfortable. I've gotten adjusted to this altitude. With that alone, I should be able to take more snaps a game. And it seems like they want to do a lot more things with me."

Young didn't exactly come out of nowhere last season. He did play at Texas, where he rushed for 1,713 yards and 25 touchdowns. But he went undrafted a year ago.

So he signed with the Broncos, who have a history of turning low-round picks and undrafted free agents into 1,000-yard rushers in their zone blocking scheme. Young started eight games and led the team with 729 rushing yards, becoming only the sixth undrafted rookie since 1967 to rush for at least 500 yards. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry and caught 35 passes.

:wacko:

Guest Chappy
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I, SheikYerbuti, plan on rushing for 2000 yards in the NFL this season.

Well that's cool as I just might take a late round flyer on you now. Listen I realize that this is the time of year for players, especially the ones who are trying to make a name for themselves or who are trying to impress the coaching staff with optimistic views of how things will unfold, say things about themselves that may be a tad bit over ther top. I just thought I'd throw it our there.

There are also things like this out there that may make Young's ambitions a little less feasible even if this story broke about 4-5 months ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7939169

If the Broncos and Henry can't agree on a new deal, the team will go out and get another lead, power-type back. Selvin Young is ideal for 10 to 15 carries a game, but Shanahan said he's not a 20-to-25 carry back.

"No, definitely not," Shanahan said. "Any time a guy's been hurt as many times as he did, you know that there's no possible way he can carry the ball 20, 25 times a game. The body just won't hold up. He went down too many times this year. But you are looking at a guy that you know has big-play potential."

Edited by Chappy

Listen I realize that this is the time of year for players, especially the ones who are trying to make a name for themselves or who are trying to impress the coaching staff with optimistic views of how things will unfold, say things about themselves that may be a tad bit over ther top.

All you doubters will see come September. . . 2000 yards. Guaranteed.

So is he going to Gillooly Travis Henry, or just give him a big bag of Josh Gordon for his birthday?

Is Travis the father of any new babies of different mothers? 10 would be a nice round number. :wacko:

Anyone stupid enough to put much stock in a DEN RB gets what they deserve.

Like me last year, a little. :wacko: I was PO'd I missed out on Henry in the draft, then happy when a guy dropped him mid-season (thinking he jumped the gun), then cursed that swingin richard's sorry worthless butt (in every sense of the word) when I was optimistic enough to start him a time or 3.

Anyone stupid enough to put much stock in a DEN RB gets what they deserve.

Like me last year, a little. :wacko: I was PO'd I missed out on Henry in the draft, then happy when a guy dropped him mid-season (thinking he jumped the gun), then cursed that swingin richard's sorry worthless butt (in every sense of the word) when I was optimistic enough to start him a time or 3.

That's you I won GVE because I had Selvin Young as an injury replacement.

Young ought to be focusing on getting himself out of the CoP RB position instead of making grand predictions of production that would make him one of the most prolific RBs in NFL history. The drafting of Torain doesn't help his situation in the least, and seems to be an indicator that Shanahan still thinks he needs to fill the #1 RB slot on the team.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I, SheikYerbuti, plan on rushing for 2000 yards in the NFL this season.

:D

Beat you to it here:

And my season will be MUCH HUGHER than yours! :D

My point in the other thread is that you hear this stuff every year. LT when he was younger talked this talk as well a couple of years and has since just worried about playing the game and taking what he can get.

This is all pretty typical of athletes, especially the younger ones. Personal records as opposed to team success. :wacko:

I still think you all should draft me though! :brew:

I'll draft you if you promise to draft me. . .

DONE! (If you are still on the board after I draft myself).

Oh! And BTW... Any Brionco running for 2000+ in the near future = dreaming :wacko:

Oh! And BTW... Any Brionco running for 2000+ in the near future = dreaming :wacko:

I'm actually extremely optimistic after the draft DEN just had. Shanahan seems to have re-evaluated what made him successful a decade ago and is returning to that mindset. Doesn't mean they are there yet, and it doesn't mean I think DEN will have a RB go for 2000 yds next year. But I like where DEN is headed much more than where they were headed a couple of years ago. And if DEN can get its mojo back, there's no telling what kind of numbers a capable RB can put up.

I'm actually extremely optimistic after the draft DEN just had. Shanahan seems to have re-evaluated what made him successful a decade ago and is returning to that mindset. Doesn't mean they are there yet, and it doesn't mean I think DEN will have a RB go for 2000 yds next year. But I like where DEN is headed much more than where they were headed a couple of years ago. And if DEN can get its mojo back, there's no telling what kind of numbers a capable RB can put up.

Great insight there. Follow-up question, then. In your opinion, with Travis Henry, Andre Hall and Ryan Torain on the roster (and now it is looking like Michael Pittman is entering the fold) is Selvyn Young that "capable RB?"

Edited by The Wolf

Guest Chappy
Great insight there. Follow-up question, then. In your opinion, with Travis Henry, Andre Hall and Ryan Torain on the roster, is Selvyn Young that "capable RB?"

Selvin is the most field smart. His awareness of what's going on when he's not the play is pretty darn good.

Michael Pittman's pretty good too. :wacko:

Guest Chappy
Just beat my edit bro...see my post above now.

Great minds...

ETA: That post broke the 1,000 post barrier for me.

Edited by Chappy

Great insight there. Follow-up question, then. In your opinion, with Travis Henry, Andre Hall and Ryan Torain on the roster (and now it is looking like Michael Pittman is entering the fold) is Selvyn Young that "capable RB?"

Andre Hall is the odd man out. He never was, and never will be NFL capable. He is at best a 3 down RB in very limited situations.

With the signing of Pittman, given his age, and Travis Henry's age and troubles, I'd have to guess the two of them are fighting for one roster spot to either be the lead RB or to back up whomever the top RB is.

While I like Young, I'm not sure if Shanahan sees him as the between-the-tackles one-cut downhill runner that he covets. I think Shanahan views Youngs as the counter-punch to his lead back and probably will be used as the top CoP RB.

Torain is the wild card, and if he has recovered from his foot injury is tailor-made to slide right into the featured RB slot. His running style, size, and ability, fit the DEN running O to a tee. For a guy who put up the numbers he did in college before he got injured, he dropped awfully far in the draft - probably with the lis franc's injury scaring people off - but they saw him run at the combine. His playing speed is faster than his timed speed, but the fun part of his game is the way he punishes D players at the second level or secondary when he makes his cut & heads downhill. IF he gets his game on at the pro level and he gets some carries that he bounces to the outside lane and makes contact, you'll see some DBs backing away from him & tackling him from the side instead of head on. I really, really like this kid to come out of what seems to be nowhere & win a spot, and if he makes a good impression in TC & preseason, he could be the next #1 RB in line in DEN. If healthy, he's got the ability.

I hesitate to say this, because Shanahan has gone overboard on comparisons before (remember the comparison of Griese to Montana... :wacko: ), but Shanahan said he was reminded of Terrell Davis when he scouted this Torain. I do know that Shanahan knows evaluating RBs better than he knows evaluating QBs in the draft.

Edited by Bronco Billy

...I hesitate to say this, because Shanahan has gone overboard on comparisons before (remember the comparison of Griese to Montana... :wacko: ), but Shanahan said he was reminded of Terrell Davis when he scouted this Torain. I do know that Shanahan knows evaluating RBs better than he knows evaluating QBs in the draft.

There are two things I agree with.

1) Your previous post that Shanny looks like he is at least trying to return to the style that had him winning before and they look to maybe start turning things around. Chargers 1 and Broncos 2 in the West and will probably stay that way for the next couple years. I hope they do get back to the old form because it makes the division much more interesting!

2) Shanny does seem to know how to pull RBs out of his a$$ that fit HIS system. Then he sells them off for some rediculous price and they don't live up to the expectations (i.e. Portis). With what they have been able to get and save in terms of higher round draft picks over the last decade not having to use them on (or getting them for) RBs, I do think it is an indication of how badly he has squandered his resources. They should be much better than they are and have been the last five years or so.

I never did understand how he thought getting the crappy d-line of the Browns as his starting unit was going to be any different (as an example) :D

With what they have been able to get and save in terms of higher round draft picks over the last decade not having to use them on (or getting them for) RBs, I do think it is an indication of how badly he has squandered his resources. They should be much better than they are and have been the last five years or so.

I don't want to hijack the the thread, but I've been saying this all along. Shanahan's drafts in the late 1990s/early 2000s were atrocious, and he's been living on the bank from his SB wins to cover that he's put teams on the field that have won only one playoff game since the '98 SB win and if they even make the playoffs usually get butchered in the first round in the past decade.

I never did understand how he thought getting the crappy d-line of the Browns as his starting unit was going to be any different (as an example)

I've never understood this with Shanahan, either. For a guy who places such high value on O-line play, how can he be completely devoid of any understanding of D line play? He keeps filling in with rejects, and they keep coming up way short, which places the entire D at jeopardy. He did use 3 of his top 4 picks last year on the D line. Maybe he's seen the light after the debacle of the past decade. Winning starts in the trenches.

Shanny does seem to know how to pull RBs out of his a$$ that fit HIS system. Then he sells them off for some rediculous price and they don't live up to the expectations (i.e. Portis).

Portis' shoulder injury 2 years ago in the pre season no less hurt. I'm not saying you're wrong but wonder how much better he would have been without that.

In addition the coaching changes hurt. It's hard to evaluate that trade for me.

Good for Selvyn Young. Who am I to step on his dream? There should be more in the world like him, who aren't afraid to dream big and then let everyone know it, accepting the pressure of achieving it squarely on their shoulders.