[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players you have been or think you will be Flip-Flopping on this year...

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

I've been studying up on all the players for all the positions and there are some players that I really am having trouble making heads or tails of. I don't want to necessarily call them "Boom or Bust " guys but I think you get the point. They could turn in a very solid/productive year or they could get injured (I know we could say that about anybody but I mean moreso for the injury-prone guys) or simply under perform.

Here are some of the guys I'm talking about that I'm not sure what to expect-

QBs

Matt Leinart

Marc Bulger

Tavaris Jackson

RBs

Michael Turner

Rudi Johnson

Laurence Maroney

Willie Parker

Houston RBs

WRs

Javon Walker

Jerry Porter

Sidney Rice

TEs

Todd Heap

Jeremy Shockey

Alge Crumpler

What about you guys? Who would you add to this list? Notice I didn't even mention rookies but there's no doubt more than a few of them could be added to this list.

Aaron Rodgers string of bad luck could continue in which case Brohm could boom.

Rookie WR's rarely do much but Will Franklin is in a great opportunity. James Jones is working hard to improve in Green Bay.

Ronnie Brown - first year back from major injury usually not productive, but he DOES have talent. :wacko:

Jon Kitna - throwing to some very good WR's... if he can get it close to them, then they can do the rest, but will he have enough protection to get the ball down field?

Larry Johnson - I'm pretty high on him (MVP talent IMO), but this young team as a whole is going to need a couple of years to become decent. Defensive game plans against the Chiefs this year will probably be just loading up the box and unleashing hell against their line.

Torry Holt - Has been one of the best... I happen to believe that he will not be in the top 10 ever again.

Willis McGahee - He has never really impressed me much, but he enjoys one of the better situations for a starting RB in the league.

Ronnie Brown - first year back from major injury usually not productive, but he DOES have talent. :wacko:

- Sounds like he'll be splitting a lot more carries with Ricky this year.

Jon Kitna - throwing to some very good WR's... if he can get it close to them, then they can do the rest, but will he have enough protection to get the ball down field?

- Kitna is fools gold again. I think lower numbers all around in the passing game. Martz gone, renewed interest in running the ball.

Larry Johnson - I'm pretty high on him (MVP talent IMO), but this young team as a whole is going to need a couple of years to become decent. Defensive game plans against the Chiefs this year will probably be just loading up the box and unleashing hell against their line.

- Yeah, I think LJ's best fantasy years are behind him. Until they finish rebuilding the line and get a competent starting QB.

Torry Holt - Has been one of the best... I happen to believe that he will not be in the top 10 ever again.

- I think Torry has a good chance at a top-ten year coming up. With only Drew Bennett on the other side, healthy o-line, and his own health back at 100% (Isn't it?).

Willis McGahee - He has never really impressed me much, but he enjoys one of the better situations for a starting RB in the league.

- Hard to argue with his consistency last season.

Julius Jones, any Seahawks receiver

Can add Hasselbeck to that as well. The Hawks are tough to figure out right now. They always seem to be right on the brink of either being a strong contender or sliding back into obscurity. I really don't know which way they will go this year.

Can add Hasselbeck to that as well. The Hawks are tough to figure out right now. They always seem to be right on the brink of either being a strong contender or sliding back into obscurity. I really don't know which way they will go this year.

Good point. When Hackett left they went off my list. I can't think of anyone they have I'd want to draft.

Engram should be good for at least 80 catches if he stays healthy. Hasselbeck puts up good numbers in the regular season regardless of whether or not he had Hackett. Hass will be fine, but he should spread the ball around even more than ever this year, since he doesn't have a split end he can rely on.

Good point. When Hackett left they went off my list. I can't think of anyone they have I'd want to draft.

I'd keep an eye on Ben Obomanu especially in dynasty. The Hawks let Hackett go and did not address the WR position thru free agency or the draft, tells me they have confidence in Ben

Here are some of the guys I'm talking about that I'm not sure what to expect-

QBs

Tavaris Jackson

Here is a good story from SI. IMO - I don't think he will bust nor do I think he will boom.

Link

I looked at his bio and his game-by-game numbers from last year. This stunned me: In the final seven games last year, when Jackson and the Vikings went 5-2, he completed 65.2 percent of his passes. Look at these game by completion accuracy numbers, in percentages: 77, 83, 75, 64, 62, 61 and 52.

Who would you add to this list?
Pretty much everbody. :wacko:

Seriously. Maybe that'll change come August, but the list of guys I do have a strong opinion about is a WAY shorter list. Which means a lot more coin flipping this year....which means I like my chances :D

Edited by BeeR

Lee Evans- I hate him

Santana Moss- addition of tall receivers that will help him play his game

Frank Gore- will he run enough?

David Patton- is he the #2?

Vernon Davis- will his ability to squat 6,000lbs equal anything on the field?

Jamal Lewis- is this when the wheels fall off?

Guest Chappy
I also have a gut feeling about Jamal not repeating last year.

Who really knows and this thread was started to create great discussions about player potential. I know Lewis has alot of miles on him but I honestly think with the reports coming in that Lewis is in great shape, him already building some confidence within the offense last year and the fact that the Browns have several viable weapons on offense that will create running room, Lewis should continue to produce solid numbers which should rank him in RB1 territory. Except he'll most likely be drafted lower than he should be. He was ranked as the #6 overall RB last year in a PPR league and 32nd overall when considering all positions.

Edited by Chappy

Who really knows and this thread was started to create great discussions about player potential. I know Lewis has alot of miles on him but I honestly think with the reports coming in that Lewis is in great shape, him already building some confidence within the offense last year and the fact that the Browns have several viable weapons on offense that will create running room, Lewis should continue to produce solid numbers which should rank him in RB1 territory. Except he'll most likely be drafted lower than he should be. He was ranked as the #6 overall RB last year in a PPR league and 32nd overall when considering all positions.

Here's the thing: We have to draft based on the anticipated health of all the players. He may have been the #6 RB last year, but so many guys who could have outperformed Lewis got hurt (S-Jax, LJ, Deuce, R Brown, etc). Others came very very close in terms of total fantasy pts (Gore, McGahee). Since Lewis is older and has quite a bit of wear on his tires, you have to knock him down below any younger options who got relatively close in terms of fantasy pts last year (given that everything else remains the same). That puts him right around the mid-2nd round draft slot where you're seeing him picked now. Going by last year's final total fantasy point rankings is very deceiving, and I always try to avoid it.

Guest Chappy
Here's the thing: We have to draft based on the anticipated health of all the players. He may have been the #6 RB last year, but so many guys who could have outperformed Lewis got hurt (S-Jax, LJ, Deuce, R Brown, etc). Others came very very close in terms of total fantasy pts (Gore, McGahee). Since Lewis is older and has quite a bit of wear on his tires, you have to knock him down below any younger options who got relatively close in terms of fantasy pts last year (given that everything else remains the same). That puts him right around the mid-2nd round draft slot where you're seeing him picked now. Going by last year's final total fantasy point rankings is very deceiving, and I always try to avoid it.

Very solid point! However, just look at that crew of players you mentioned again-

SJax- Can he stay healthy? Team should be better and so should he.

LJ- Didn't do it last year, has no QB or WRs, O-line is being rebuilt and the overall team is in trouble. Could repeat last year.

Deuce- Knee issues.

R. Brown- Health concerns and timeshare concerns.

Gore- QB and WRs issues and new offense coming to town that will focus on passing and less rushing. Hope he's busy catching.

McGahee- Was consistent last year and should be again.

So Jamal Lewis could very well be a Top 10 RB again. Could he also slide down with better production from players mentioned above or rookie backs? ABSOLUTELY!! But that's why he's on the list.

Gore- QB and WRs issues and new offense coming to town that will focus on passing and less rushing. Hope he's busy catching.

Why is everybody so concerned when analyzing the 49 offense. Martz is a genious (although I hate his ass for destroying a potential Ram dynasty as a HC) Gore is gonna be a stud, barring injury.

Is it just me or has everybody forgotten about a guy named Marshall Faulk???

Edited by tazinib1

Jake Delo's return in Carolina ...

Santonio Holmes in Pittsburgh ...

Those two are the ones I'm most interested in. I think I can get good value on both, but I'm just unsure exactly what they will produce. Holmes was good when healthy and Jake still has Smith to throw to (if his arm is working). It kind of gets to the point where everyone is a bit of a crapshoot :wacko: