[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And with the 9th pick, YOU take

DMD

Who would you most want?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. If you are picking 9th (or 8th or 10th for that matter)

• QB - Tom Brady to get an elite QB
    • QB - Peyton Manning to get an elite QB
    • RB - Larry Johnson who has fallen
    • RB - Willis McGahee doesn't share much
    • RB - Reggie Bush who catches a lot
    • RB - Ryan Grant as surprise in GB
    • WR Randy Moss to start WR
    • WR Terrell Owens as a different elite WR
    • Other

I'd almost certainly take a RB at 1.9 (maybe McGahee?). I pick again in 7 picks, which means I'm guaranteed one of the other guys on that list: mostly likely a stud WR or QB; perhaps a strong #2RB. On the other hand, if I take a WR or QB at 1.9 it is highly unlikely any of those running backs will be available at 2.4.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of very good posts in this thread!

I really have a difficult time drafting an elite QB or WR in the #9 slot. I guess it's because in my past drafts there was always a first-round run on RB's, and I felt I had to select one too. Last year the Brady & Moss owners did very well, but can those two produce at that level again this year? I think not.

I voted for McGahee, but I always have his injury history in the back of my mind. I can't fault those who have also mentioned MJD, Bush, Barber, and even LJ in that #9 slot. I just think McGahee will have a solid year.

:wacko:

Here are some facts for you. If you are interested in them.

MJD started a little slow in 2007. His first 4 weeks were not good, and people were thinking one year wonder and looking to give up on him. Fast forward to week 5:

Week 5: 18.70

Week 6: 32.40

Week 7: 14.40

Week 8: 7.20

Week 9: 12.90

Week 10: 20.40

Week 11: 10.20

Week 12: 9.60

Week 13: 12.20

Week 14: 5.50

Week 15: 12.40

Week 16: 23.00

Not all of those weeks are stellar, but there are only three of 12 that are single digit scoring games. That's consistency if you ask me.

That's only 2 weeks out of 13 in single digit scoring. Again, IMO very consistent.

I still would probably choose Barber over Jones-Drew, but he is definitely in the discussion as someone that can be depended on to put points up for your fantasy team.

No offense, but MJD in the 1st is borderline insane. He was NOT consistent last year. You simply cannot ignore the 1st 4 games. 2 weeks out of 13 in single digits sounds good, sure, but when you look at it season long, thats 6 out of 17, and for a 1st round pick, you cant expect to win from that many single digit point games. Lets also consider that out of the games that he DID score double digits, 5 of those were less than 15, so double digits or not, that wont win you games. MJD is no more than a 2nd round pick in redrafts, and quite possibly even a 3rd.

ETA - I am referring to redrafts of course...

Edited by peepinmofo

No offense, but MJD in the 1st is borderline insane. He was NOT consistent last year. You simply cannot ignore the 1st 4 games. 2 weeks out of 13 in single digits sounds good, sure, but when you look at it season long, thats 6 out of 17, and for a 1st round pick, you cant expect to win from that many single digit point games. Lets also consider that out of the games that he DID score double digits, 5 of those were less than 15, so double digits or not, that wont win you games. MJD is no more than a 2nd round pick in redrafts, and quite possibly even a 3rd.

ETA - I am referring to redrafts of course...

First off, I am going to disagree somewhat in that it has not been unusual over the years for players to have a slow start and then jump up to perform like their ADP. I am not ignoring the slow start as much as I am saying that once he came back to performing, he came back very well.

Second, in PPR leagues MJD was the #12 RB last year even with the slow start. He was the #8 RB in 2006 even with his slow start.

More or less than 15, you are splitting hairs at a different spot. A person can choose to plait hairs wherever they like of course. My spot is saying that after doing pretty much nothing in the first 3 weeks of the season (week 4 being a bye), he did enough to be the #12 RB in the league for points scored, and that's with not playing in week 17. So there's a history....2-3 weeks of slow start, and then enough production to consider him an RB1 if you are looking at the top 12 at year's end.

I hope more people sleep on him. I'll be happy to grab him late in round 1.

Each year, IMO, drafting 9th is probably the most challenging since you are well into the run on RB but not deep enough to double dip very well with your second pick. It all depends on who you take of course but at this early juncture, I just wondered what most of you would do at that spot. I am drafting in an hour at that pick and I already know what I am going to do but am interested in seeing how diverse people are at that spot.

Standard performance with Point Per Reception.

Assuming this has happened before you:

Ladainian Tomlinson

Adrian Peterson

Steven Jackson

Brian Westbrook

Joseph Addai

Frank Gore

Clinton Portis

Marshawn Lynch

You have to know that the six picks after you will get at least 3 RB and maybe as many as 5. But top 1 or 2 QB and WR probably gone when it gets back to you.

Just seems like an interesting place in a draft this year (and most any year). Again - not looking for any help, just a FF question that we all will probably face in one league or so this year.

makes Bush and EASY choice for me

WOW - I was the 29th vote, and the first to choose Bush, looking at the 1 PPR. I suppose unless you really like Ryan Grant, who could probably be paired with Bush with the 2.04.

Bush in PPR seems like shooting fish in a barrel to me :wacko:

Guest Chappy

I haven't read much of this thread at all but you know it's going to be a wild fantasy season when after 72 votes 4 players have practically the same amount of votes. :wacko:

Guest Chappy
I'd like to hear from the two that voted Peyton Manning.... :wacko:

No kidding, with Brady still there why in the hell would you take Manning over him? I don't even think Manning should be considered there or in the 1st round period.

I'd like to hear from the two that voted Peyton Manning.... :wacko:
No kidding, with Brady still there why in the hell would you take Manning over him? I don't even think Manning should be considered there or in the 1st round period.

Is it really that crazy for someone to take Manning over Brady? In the past three years Manning has been the no.1 scoring qb once and never fallen below the no.3 scoring qb... During that time Brady has been the no.1, 2, and 7 rated qb in my league...

Manning played with Wayne and younger guys at receiver last year... I see Anthoney Gonzalez making a big step forward this year, and Harrison potentially coming back should boost Manning's numbers over last year.

I don't see the Patriots throwing nearly as much as they did last year, and I think Brady's td's come back down to the high 20's to low 30's.

I'm not saying I'd take Manning over Brady, but I don't think it's as lopsided as most would think.

FWIW I would have taken Johnson or Bush.

Guest Chappy
Is it really that crazy for someone to take Manning over Brady?

Yes. And for the record, I wouldn't be taking either of them at #9 or in the 1st round.

So DMD...who did you pick?

I can tell you now I was leaning mostly to taking Grant. It was between he and LJ but LJ comes off an injury and his line is worse and QB situation scares me. I would have begrudingly taken Grant.

But, as it surprisingly ended up, this happened in front of me:

LT

Peterson

SJ

Westbrook

Addai

Gore

R. Moss

Barber

So on my board I had to choose between Portis and Lynch. Based on everything else I was planning on doing, I grabbed Lynch. I took Reggie Wayne at the 2.04 and then Romo at the 3.09 then came back to take a chance on Jonathan Stewart.