[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And with the 9th pick, YOU take

DMD

Who would you most want?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. If you are picking 9th (or 8th or 10th for that matter)

• QB - Tom Brady to get an elite QB
    • QB - Peyton Manning to get an elite QB
    • RB - Larry Johnson who has fallen
    • RB - Willis McGahee doesn't share much
    • RB - Reggie Bush who catches a lot
    • RB - Ryan Grant as surprise in GB
    • WR Randy Moss to start WR
    • WR Terrell Owens as a different elite WR
    • Other

I can tell you now I was leaning mostly to taking Grant. It was between he and LJ but LJ comes off an injury and his line is worse and QB situation scares me. I would have begrudingly taken Grant.

But, as it surprisingly ended up, this happened in front of me:

LT

Peterson

SJ

Westbrook

Addai

Gore

R. Moss

Barber

So on my board I had to choose between Portis and Lynch. Based on everything else I was planning on doing, I grabbed Lynch. I took Reggie Wayne at the 2.04 and then Romo at the 3.09 then came back to take a chance on Jonathan Stewart.

Now who would have predicted Moss going a little early & Lynch falling to 1.09...

:wacko:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you now I was leaning mostly to taking Grant. It was between he and LJ but LJ comes off an injury and his line is worse and QB situation scares me. I would have begrudingly taken Grant.

LT

Peterson

SJ

Westbrook

Addai

Gore

R. Moss

Barber

So on my board I had to choose between Portis and Lynch. Based on everything else I was planning on doing, I grabbed Lynch. I took Reggie Wayne at the 2.04 and then Romo at the 3.09 then came back to take a chance on Jonathan Stewart.

Homer :wacko:

LT

Peterson

SJ

Westbrook

Addai

Gore

R. Moss

Barber

STEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!!!

I hope more people sleep on him. I'll be happy to grab him late in round 1.

So will the rest of your league.

You can hype him all you want, but anyone who owned him last year knows he was nothing to write home about, even as RB2. WAY too many weaks where he was all but invisible. Maybe he'll bounce back and be a worthwhile RB2 (not on my team), but a RB1? No freakin way.

DMD you screwed up too. :D

Is it really that crazy for someone to take Manning over Brady? In the past three years Manning has been the no.1 scoring qb once and never fallen below the no.3 scoring qb... During that time Brady has been the no.1, 2, and 7 rated qb in my league...

Manning played with Wayne and younger guys at receiver last year... I see Anthoney Gonzalez making a big step forward this year, and Harrison potentially coming back should boost Manning's numbers over last year.

I don't see the Patriots throwing nearly as much as they did last year, and I think Brady's td's come back down to the high 20's to low 30's.

I'm not saying I'd take Manning over Brady, but I don't think it's as lopsided as most would think.

FWIW I would have taken Johnson or Bush.

It is just plain crazy to take ANY QB in the first round.

It is just plain crazy to take ANY QB in the first round.

No way, not if its 6 points per passing TD

And if I'm lucky I get Brady and Moss

Double Points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Its really crazy to comment like that without a rational explanation. I'd love to hear your reasoning...or is this just from the hip.

Excluding start 2 QBs leagues its been debunked ad nauseum in the Advice forum. Look for posts by Big Country

Its really crazy to comment like that without a rational explanation. I'd love to hear your reasoning...or is this just from the hip.

The fact that you need a "rational explanation" why a QB should not be taken in the first round speaks volumes about your lack of fantasy football acumen. I recommend you use the search feature ... you will find plenty of reading material.

Guest Chappy
No way, not if its 6 points per passing TD

And if I'm lucky I get Brady and Moss

Double Points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Excluding start 2 QBs leagues its been debunked ad nauseum in the Advice forum. Look for posts by Big Country

I agree here completely. I'm thrilled when an owner drafts a QB ahead of me in the 1st round allowing another RB/WR (more likely RB) to slide down.

So will the rest of your league.

:D

You can hype him all you want, but anyone who owned him last year knows he was nothing to write home about, even as RB2. WAY too many weaks where he was all but invisible. Maybe he'll bounce back and be a worthwhile RB2 (not on my team), but a RB1? No freakin way.

DMD you screwed up too. :D

I don't know what to say other than that his scoring numbers prove you wrong. As RB12 and doing most of his scoring damage in weeks 5-16, he was at least a lower third RB1 for the stretch run.

The fact that you need a "rational explanation" why a QB should not be taken in the first round speaks volumes about your lack of fantasy football acumen. I recommend you use the search feature ... you will find plenty of reading material.

If you need an owner in any league you participate in this year, please let me know. I'd love to show you my LACK of fantasy football acumen.

Guest Chappy
If you need an owner in any league you participate in this year, please let me know. I'd love to show you my LACK of fantasy football acumen.

Taznib, take things with a grain of salt. I have seen you come on pretty strongly in a couple threads whether it be just voicing an opposing opinion or wanting to prove yourself here. Just relax and go with the flow. Grits here is busting your chops and baiting you, hoping to get you all pumped up. I'm sure you're a great fantasy owner and maybe you'll even get to exhibit those skills in leagues here at the Huddle. However, it's not necessary to respond to every challenge like you did above.

Taznib, take things with a grain of salt. I have seen you come on pretty strongly in a couple threads whether it be just voicing an opposing opinion or wanting to prove yourself here. Just relax and go with the flow. Grits here is busting your chops and baiting you, hoping to get you all pumped up. I'm sure you're a great fantasy owner and maybe you'll even get to exhibit those skills in leagues here at the Huddle. However, it's not necessary to respond to every challenge like you did above.

I don't really need you to explain to others what I meant. If you'd been around long enough and had read some of the many threads where we discussed ad naseum the pitfalls of drafting a QB in the 1st round you'd know I was serious.

I am not baiting Taznib but am stating what should be obvious to anybody that has played fantasy football for any length of time with any degree of success. I suppose if you are in a league with 3rd graders then you might very well excel after drafting a QB in the 1st round.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Guest Chappy
I don't really need you to explain to others what I meant. If you'd been around long enough and had read some of the many threads where we discussed ad naseum the pitfalls of drafting a QB in the 1st round you'd know I was serious.

I am not baiting Taznib but am stating what should be obvious to anybody that has played fantasy football for any length of time with any degree of success. I suppose if you are in a league with 3rd graders then you might very well excel after drafting a QB in the 1st round.

I completely agree with you Grits in that having been around here long enough and having played FF for more than long enough, I've read and learned how drafting a QB in the 1st round (unless there are some really extremely favorable rules toward QBs) is not a good strategy at all. I realize that when you posted your response to Taznib that you were stating your view on not drafting QBs in round 1 but I also felt that you were trying to have some fun and get a little rise out of him (which you got) when you stated the bolded below. Just my perspective and I'm not looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill, rather just extend some friendly advice. Sorry for getting in the middle.

Not to mention then you also added this little tidbit...

I expect it would be a very eye-opening experience were you to actually join a big-boy league with me.

Edited by Chappy

I don't really need you to explain to others what I meant.

then why waste your time writing what you did? Surely you had to know that someone would question such a mater of fact statement. Oh wait I know....you were looking to add to your ignore list

If you'd been around long enough and had read some of the many threads where we discussed ad naseum the pitfalls of drafting a QB in the 1st round you'd know I was serious.

Just because you or I wouldn't draft a QB in round 1 doesn't mean that a person cant still draft a successful team by doing so.

and you stating that because he hasnt been here long enough to know you were serious is really rather stupid....not everyone that posts or reads these threads have necessarily been here when you were discussing it ad nauseam....so if you are gonna post a mater of fact statement like you did you should expect that some new person may ask why you feel that way....so post the links to previous discussions or explain it again or just shut up...there really is no need to ridicule a guy because they arrived here AG (After Grits) and because you think they don't stack up to you fantasy wise.

edit: and nice job is taking a dump in this thread too

Edited by keggerz

This forum is meant for discussion, Grits...is it not? The way to increase ones acumen is research and discussion. How did you hone your knowledge? Discussion with others was a component, I am sure. Nothing wrong with Taz asking you for your explanation...not every FF owner thinks alike. In fact, feel good that he's actively seeking it instead and continuing the discussion.

Just my two cents.

Edited by The Wolf

I went with Moss. I play in a PPR league and he doubled McGahee's points last year.

Even if Moss only gets 1300 yards and 12 TDs this year, he'd still outproduce the best RB at this spot by 50 points due to PPR.

Can get a McGahee equivalent producer in the 2nd round.

Edited by Riffraff

I wish I would have taken Brady and Moss in the first two rounds last year...

Just because you or I wouldn't draft a QB in round 1 doesn't mean that a person cant still draft a successful team by doing so.

and you stating that because he hasnt been here long enough to know you were serious is really rather stupid....not everyone that posts or reads these threads have necessarily been here when you were discussing it ad nauseam....so if you are gonna post a mater of fact statement like you did you should expect that some new person may ask why you feel that way....so post the links to previous discussions or explain it again or just shut up...there really is no need to ridicule a guy because they arrived here AG (After Grits) and because you think they don't stack up to you fantasy wise.

edit: and nice job is taking a dump in this thread too

Did you read the sequence of posts?

My comments about the lack of tenure were directed at the Chappy because he was attempting to explain what I meant to when I responded to tazinib1. Chappy said flat out that I was simply busting taznib1's chops and was trying to get a rise out of him. Less than 12 months ago there were extensive conversions about drafting a QB in the 1st round and I made my position VERY clear ... but I guess he wasn't around then.

I went with Moss. I play in a PPR league and he doubled McGahee's points last year.

Even if Moss only gets 1300 yards and 12 TDs this year, he'd still outproduce the best RB at this spot by 50 points due to PPR.

Can get a McGahee equivalent producer in the 2nd round.

Maybe. But on the flip side, wouldn't it be more likely that you could get a 1300 yard 12 TD WR in the early 2nd round (TO, Wayne, Edwards, a healthy Andre Johnson) than a #1 RB? In a PPR format McGahee was still a top 10 RB last year despite (effectively) missing the last two games last season.

MaGahee/Wayne

v

Moss/Grant (or Bush, or what have you)

I'll grant you Moss scored more than MaGahee last year. But in this myopic analysis of ours what we're really evaluating is the aggregate score that would be hauled in by your top two picks, regardless of how much the first pick is responsible for. I think it really comes down to whether you think the RB talent at 2.4 round is more comparable to the RBs available at 1.9, compared to the WR production at those same draft positions. In PPR leagues last year there we significant drop offs after the top 10 RBs, and after the top 6 WRs. IMO, the chance of a top 6 WR being available at 2.4 is greater than a top 10 RB being available at that same spot.

Anyways, reasonable minds can differ on what grouping of players will produce the most points. But I do think it is a mistake to focus too heavily on what your 1st round pick will do without projecting what is likely to be available with your 2nd round pick. In my experience, it is rare to see 6 WRs picked in the first 16 picks, but it is virtually guaranteed that 10 RBs will be gone by then.

Edited by yo mama

You always have to respect what is and will happen in a draft because you are not trying to find the highest scoring player per se, but are trying to assemble the highest scoring team. That can mean bypassing a player with higher projections in one position for a lower projected player in another so long as the net effect for your team is the optimal amount of weekly points. In that draft, I knew RBs would be raided heavily enough that if I waited on getting a RB, I would end up with a major hole that almost never could be filled.

It just all depends on what you think gives you the best overall team, not neccessarily the highest scorer with each pick.