[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First three rounds from my "experts" draft today

DMD

In respect for their wishes, I won't post the draft here but I will show you the first three rounds. The interesting thing here is that this league has always been RB crazy but this is the most "mixed" up it has ever been. In past years, sometimes the 3rd QB goes in the 5th round and only one WR is taken in the first 2 rounds. This year - the most blended draft ever so RB Stud theorists will have an easier time going RB-RB-RB but then will suck at every other position,

1.01 RB Tomlinson,Ladainian

1.02 RB Peterson,Adrian

1.03 RB Jackson,Steven

1.04 RB Westbrook,Brian

1.05 RB Addai,Joseph

1.06 RB Gore,Frank

1.07 WR Moss,Randy

1.08 RB Barber,Marion

1.09 RB Lynch,Marshawn

1.10 RB Grant,Ryan

1.11 RB Portis,Clinton

1.12 RB Johnson,Larry

2.01 WR Owens,Terrell

2.02 WR Johnson,Andre

2.03 RB Bush,Reggie

2.04 WR Wayne,Reggie

2.05 QB Brady,Tom

2.06 RB Jones-Drew,Maurice

2.07 RB McGahee,Willis

2.08 WR Edwards,Braylon

2.09 RB McFadden,Darren

2.10 WR Smith,Steve

2.11 RB Graham,Earnest

2.12 WR Fitzgerald,Larry

3.01 QB Manning,Peyton

3.02 WR Houshmandzadeh,T.J.

3.03 RB Brown,Ronnie

3.04 WR Johnson,Chad

3.05 WR Colston,Marques

3.06 WR Marshall,Brandon

3.07 QB Brees,Drew

3.08 RB Jacobs,Brandon

3.09 QB Romo,Tony

3.10 WR Holt,Torry

3.11 WR Welker,Wes

3.12 RB Lewis,Jamal

My team (we only draft 14 rounds now and then six more in August. I pick up WR in August and mine for RBs now)

QB Romo,Tony - took at the 3.09. Last Tier 1 QB and I took the plunge 3.09

QB Schaub,Matt - Totally love this backup 9.09

RB Dunn,Warrick - late pick, what the heck (again) 12.04

RB Lynch,Marshawn - ecstatic to get him at 1.09. His schedule is a thing of beauty 1.09

RB Mendenhall,Rashard - Wanted a backup RB with upside 8.04

RB Smith,Kevin - My 3rb at least has a starting job waiting 6.04

RB Stewart,Jonathan - my 2nd RB in the 4th round was actually better than I feared. Upside but risk 4.04

WR Walker,Javon - Not a fan but if he actually is healthy okay pick for 7th round 7.09

WR Ward,Hines - Not a huge fan either but as good as I could get at 5.09

WR Wayne,Reggie - Moss, Owens and AJ gone by 2.04 and knew I had to get him while getting was still good 2.04

WR Williams,Reggie - impressed with TDs last year just a pick at 11.09

TE McMichael,Randy - 10.04 was a steal IMO

PK Vinatieri,Adam - whatever

Def Packers - Decent but not Dallas

RB Stewart,Jonathan - my 2nd RB in the 4th round was actually better than I feared. Upside but risk 4.04

Love this strat. At least one of these guys will pay off big (IMO Smith).

WR Walker,Javon - Not a fan but if he actually is healthy okay pick for 7th round 7.09
Probably your worst pick. He's done.
TE McMichael,Randy - 10.04 was a steal IMO
Decent value but not a steal. He's all but done too, and the Rams are TE hell.

Great draft, IMO. You're weak at WR unless Walker turns into an effective WR again, but you ought to be able to move one of those young RBs for a stud WR if you have the need during the season.

:wacko: at the GB D comment.

I usually have fewer WRs in this part of the draft because by August, several players would have showed up in training camp and others would have fallen back. Here are the next WR on my board to give you an idea of where we are at the draft

Laurent Robinson

Ernest Wilford

David Patten

Marty Booker

James Hardy

Devin Thomas

Bryant Johnson

Robert Meachem

Earl Bennett

Amani Toomer

The kind of players that are just throwing darts now but could look very different by AUG.

I have never owned Walker before and maybe never again, but where I got him he has enough upside to warrant the pick IMO. Even if he crashes and burns, I only spent a 7.09 pick. He should be the #1 WR in OAK according to his paycheck and they will need to throw but what will happen there is pretty hard to forecast right now. The WRs taken immediately after that pick were Engram (high on him if he is happy enough to play), Berrian (who I wanted the next round and got caught), Deion Branch (what a wasted pick) and Santana Moss (what an overly optimistic pick worth 3 good games and 13 bad ones).

RB Lynch,Marshawn - ecstatic to get him at 1.09. His schedule is a thing of beauty 1.09

Can you petition the league to make this a dynasty DMD?

Meh. I think you should have grabbed Mcfadden, McGahee, or MJD before Wayne, taken the next best WR in the 3rd round and snagged a tier 2 QB come the 4th, 5th, or 6th round. Your RBs are pretty weak beyond RB1. Good for a dynasty team, but not a redraft IMO.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Meh. I think you should have grabbed Mcfadden, McGahee, or MJD before Wayne, taken the next best WR in the 3rd round and snagged a tier 2 QB come the 4th, 5th, or 6th round. Your RBs are pretty weak beyond RB1. Good for a dynasty team, but not a redraft IMO.

While I considered that, I would also be building just an average team IMO. I would not have a top anything in any position pretty much. We start 3 WR and we get PPR so I did not want to wait on getting at least one good one. Initially, I planned on going RB-WR-WR-RB but they raided WR hard enough that by my 3.09 I opted for Romo to get the final tier 1 QB. Drafting farther back to me means taking difference makers where you can and going for upside picks. Consider the #1 drafter started out with Tomlinson, Fitzgerald and Manning. Had I gone RB with the secnd pick, I would have had Lynch, McGahee and my best WR would have been Holt, Welker or Boldin. And I would not have a tier 1 QB. All things considered, I liked having Lynch, Wayne, Romo and an upside swing for the fence with J Stewart than starting out maybe Lynch, McGahee, Welker and whatever the #15th WR I could find or a tier 2 QB.

I also see McFadden and Stewart as comparable risk/reward players so I took one with the 4.04 instead of the 2.04.

DMD,

Please explain your reasoning behind picking Lynch in the 1.09 spot. I know he's a good RB and has a favorable schedule, but ninth? :wacko:

DMD,

Please explain your reasoning behind picking Lynch in the 1.09 spot. I know he's a good RB and has a favorable schedule, but ninth? :wacko:

From the soon to be released rankings...

The rookie had a decent year when he ran for 1115 yards and seven scores but the stud from CAL had been a great receiver in college as well but only caught 18 passes for 184 yards in the thirteen games that he played. He only averaged right at four yards per carry so it would be easily to underestimate him this season. But the Bills are installing a new offense that OC Turk Schonert has already said is dedicated to getting him 20 to 25 carries per game. Realize too that Lynch suffered a high ankle sprain that dogged him in several games and forced him to miss three weeks. He still ended with seven of 13 games with a touchdown and topped 100 rushing yards three times in his final six games played.

What brings more excitement to Lynch is the prospect that he could get more passes this year in the spread offense that the Bills are installing and the new coaching staff is intent on using him as a full-time back. One more thing – the Bills have the easiest rushing schedule in the entire NFL by a significant margin. Thanks to the demise of the AFC East and catching divisional match-ups against the NFC West and AFC West, Lynch gets to face what is clearly the easiest set of opponents based on last year. Of course defenses change but consider his final four games of the fantasy season face SF, MIA, NYJ and DEN. The only two games where he faces a top ten defense from last year is JAC and NE and the second meeting against the Patriots comes in week 17.

Combine that rushing schedule with a new offense that intends on showcasing him as an actual full-time back and the prospects for Lynch rise this season. He should end up as a steal in most leagues this summer.

Lynch has been a first rounder in every draft I have seen so far this year and I believe he deserves it.

DMD,

Careful...you might get the wrath of Grits by asking to explain.

From the soon to be released rankings...

Lynch has been a first rounder in every draft I have seen so far this year and I believe he deserves it.

Thank you. :wacko: Now it makes sense.

While I considered that, I would also be building just an average team IMO. I would not have a top anything in any position pretty much. We start 3 WR and we get PPR so I did not want to wait on getting at least one good one. Initially, I planned on going RB-WR-WR-RB but they raided WR hard enough that by my 3.09 I opted for Romo to get the final tier 1 QB. Drafting farther back to me means taking difference makers where you can and going for upside picks. Consider the #1 drafter started out with Tomlinson, Fitzgerald and Manning. Had I gone RB with the secnd pick, I would have had Lynch, McGahee and my best WR would have been Holt, Welker or Boldin. And I would not have a tier 1 QB. All things considered, I liked having Lynch, Wayne, Romo and an upside swing for the fence with J Stewart than starting out maybe Lynch, McGahee, Welker and whatever the #15th WR I could find or a tier 2 QB.

I also see McFadden and Stewart as comparable risk/reward players so I took one with the 4.04 instead of the 2.04.

I'll try to set my anti-Dallas bias aside when I say that I believe Romo to be a tier 2 QB (and the top of that tier). Brady and Manning hold the honors of tier 1 QB (worthy of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round picks) and I feel there may be several QBs capable of putting up simiilar numbers as Romo. At least close enough to justify taking a RB in the 2nd round and a WR in the 3rd. A lot can change between now and the start of the season, but at this point I wouldn't have made that pick.

Then again, it's often (but not always) been my strategy to not reach for a QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds of a fantasy draft.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Wow, look at that team with the first pick. He gets LT, then Peyton & FItz both last until his last pick in the second. He doesn't get to pick another RB for almost two more rounds but if he hits on one more player he could have one of the best teams I've ever seen. He very well could have the top QB, RB & WR in FF this year.

Wow, look at that team with the first pick. He gets LT, then Peyton & FItz both last until his last pick in the second. He doesn't get to pick another RB for almost two more rounds but if he hits on one more player he could have one of the best teams I've ever seen. He very well could have the top QB, RB & WR in FF this year.

It is one of the major advantages of having an initial pick because every year it ends up like that. In this case, he went with Julius Jones (4.12) and Kellen Winslow (5.01). It is one reason why I prefer auctions. Last year in one of my leagues, the #1 guy got LT, Manning and Gates which did not work out quite as well as it seemed but he started with the #1 RB, QB and TE.

Well, it never ceases to amaze me how much stock people put into the last years performance in drafting this years FF players. With Moss at #7 I'd want him to break the or meet the records he set last year.

I drafted Clinton Portis in all three of my re-drafts last year including 4.5 at WCOFF. Now he is being picked as a #1 RB? What?

I see a lot of value slipping later.

Time to start researching.

Well, it never ceases to amaze me how much stock people put into the last years performance in drafting this years FF players. With Moss at #7 I'd want him to break the or meet the records he set last year.

I drafted Clinton Portis in all three of my re-drafts last year including 4.5 at WCOFF. Now he is being picked as a #1 RB? What?

I see a lot of value slipping later.

Time to start researching.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Portis lasted ujntil the 4.5 in a WCOFF draft. I hope this is a misprint.

\

My bad..as drunk as I am right now, I just realized you said LAST year.

Edited by tazinib1