[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction Strategy Tips and Pitfalls

Danny Zuko

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to thief this post, but I have a related question. I am in a PPR league, 12 team where we start 1 QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1 RB/WR, TE, K and Def. Our scoring is all TD's 6 except for QB's are 4. Yds are standard scoring.

We are changing our draft format into part auction, part snake. First 4 rounds will be auction with a $100 budget, then the following 10 will be snake with 2 additional rounds later for Kickers and Defense.

How does your strategy change for this type of auction? Has anyone tried this format? We are considering doing the first 5 rounds instead of 4 Thso that you have to spread the 100 bucks more and not just spend on two studs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Frankly I think that's a horrible idea. Hard to say how much to spend on players etc and really it doesn't buy you anything.

We tried on 16 man rosters doing 8/8 and it was a pain. Just make it all auction so values you see online and people talking about you can relate to. By the time you get into the late part of the draft, it runs pretty much like a "snake" draft anyway ie make the nomination order reverse every other round the whole draft and people go nominate whoever for a buck and quickly get them most of the time because no one has any money left.

I haven't found any good publications that give auction prices for players in a PPR league. Any recommendations?

It's pretty tough to get a magazine that will help with dollar values, since salary caps and scoring will greatly affect the dollar values of players. You're better off investing in some software that can calculate dollar values based on your league's set-up.