[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Terrell Owens Signs 4-Year $34 Million deal With Dallas

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

Terrell Owens will have a chance to retire a Cowboy, just as he has wished.

The Dallas Cowboys and the veteran receiver agreed to a four-year contract extension on Monday according to two sources.

Owens, who turns 35 in December, was entering the final year of the three-year, $25 million deal he received in 2006 and was scheduled to receive a $3 million roster bonus Tuesday in addition to a base salary of $4 million.

In two seasons with the Cowboys, Owens has 166 catches for 2,535 yards and 28 touchdowns. He holds the team’s season record with 15 touchdown receptions, set last year. In 15 games in 2007, Owens caught 81 passes for 1,355 yards and was named to the Pro Bowl for the sixth time in his career. He also had four straight 100-yard receiving games. His 45 100-yard games are tied for third most among active players (Indianapolis’ Marvin Harrison leads with 59).

Owens came to the Cowboys after much-publicized run-ins with management, coaches and teammates in San Francisco and Philadelphia. After a tumultuous 2006 season, in which he fought a broken hand, torn tendons in a finger and, at times, the coaching staff, Owens became a leader of sorts under new coach Wade Phillips, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and receivers coach Ray Sherman.

In 11 seasons, Owens ranks ninth in NFL history with 882 catches for 13,070 yards and 129 touchdowns. Only former teammate Jerry Rice (197) and Cris Carter (130) have more touchdown catches in NFL history. With another 13-touchdown catch season in 2008, he would join Rice as the only receivers in league history with eight seasons of 13 or more TD grabs.

Edited by Kansas State 2000

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas is trying to make things happen.

Good for T.O. - glad he's finally learned that when you handle situations like an adult, you'll be treated like one.

He's been a lot of fun to watch - glad he's finally figured things out.

Man, what a dumb move by the cowboys IMO. There's only one direction a 35 year old football player can go. The law of averages is severely against T.O. this year and every year after. He may have one good year left.

:wacko:

The guy is a beast! He is still one of, if not the strongest wide receiver (is David Boston still playing?) in the NFL right now. I don't know how many games you have watched, but the guy will continue to draw double teams and score TD's, no matter how old he is as long as hee keeps himself in top shape. And keep in mind, he isn't a running back. Shyt, I think Jerry Rice may even be playing somewhere still...

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Man, what a dumb move by the cowboys IMO. There's only one direction a 35 year old football player can go. The law of averages is severely against T.O. this year and every year after. He may have one good year left.

Absolutely agree. Someone else gets it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Absolutely agree. Someone else gets it.

Here's the deal though guys, like every other elite player, you're gonna have to be prepared to continue paying them for a few years after they're great to keep them while they're great. These guys aren't stupid and they're agents really aren't. So, you want a happy TO for this year and next? You lock him up for this year, next year, and a few years after that.

There's almost no reason to believe that he won't be a beast next year and plenty of reason to think he'll be at least upper tier next year. If Dallas wins it all either of those years, it's worth Jerry Jones to continue to shell out money for a couple years after, assuming that TO falls off at that point. Either that or cut him and save the money on the back end of the contract. Hell, ATL just promised Matt Ryan more money than that and he may never be good.

There's almost no reason to believe that he won't be a beast next year and plenty of reason to think he'll be at least upper tier next year. If Dallas wins it all either of those years, it's worth Jerry Jones to continue to shell out money for a couple years after, assuming that TO falls off at that point. Either that or cut him and save the money on the back end of the contract. Hell, ATL just promised Matt Ryan more money than that and he may never be good.

There's very good reasons to think he won't be a beast. In the history of the NFL, the only top 25 WR who was productive at age 35 or beyond was Jerry Rice. You've made the argument that this doesn't matter in the case of Marvin Harrison, and now you're making it on behalf or Terrell Owens. So even though only 1 top productive WR in NFL history has gone through what for WRs is the brick wall in regard to age, you're expecting not 1 but at least 2 WRs to shatter that barrier this coming year and continue to perform like studs?

Pardon me, but that just doesn't make any sense.

There's very good reasons to think he won't be a beast. In the history of the NFL, the only top 25 WR who was productive at age 35 or beyond was Jerry Rice.

Jerry Rice had a few pretty good QB's throwin it to him for a number of years not to mention an All American offense surrounding him. TO has a SOLID running game in place, with a QB, when on his game, is pretty dayum good too. And let's not talk about the O-line. ALL the makings of a good finish to his career. TO will be a beast next year, even while missing his usual game or two, and probably the year after that.

c'mon man, he does sit-ups in his driveway.

Jerry Rice -Height: 6-2 (6'0...let's be real) Weight: 200

Terell Owens -Height: 6-3 Weight: 218 and a beast....

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Let's not forget that there may be an uncapped year coming up ... JJ is a smart guy ... I'd bet there is a way to place most of the deal in that year ... if not they will cut him after 2-3 years. Bottom line is Dallas gets one of the top five WR's in the game for at least a while longer.

There's very good reasons to think he won't be a beast. In the history of the NFL, the only top 25 WR who was productive at age 35 or beyond was Jerry Rice. You've made the argument that this doesn't matter in the case of Marvin Harrison, and now you're making it on behalf or Terrell Owens. So even though only 1 top productive WR in NFL history has gone through what for WRs is the brick wall in regard to age, you're expecting not 1 but at least 2 WRs to shatter that barrier this coming year and continue to perform like studs?

I'm not sure when or what I said about Harrison. Seriously, not saying I didn't say it, just honestly don't recall doing so. Kindly post it.

Frankly, I'm more driven by what I see than the fact that other players haven't been able to do it. RBs it makes sense that a guy can look great one year and completely slow down the next, because those guys take a pounding. However, I don't recall ever seeing a WR who's been dominant for years in a row and then completely fall off the very next year. TO keeps himself in great shape and is as good a bet as anyone at being hugh this year and not a shabby bet at being very, very good the following.

Ask yourself this: How far will you let him fall in FF drafts? Surely you don't expect to get him as the 10th WR taken do you? What are your predictions for him this year? If you think he's good for 10+ TDs and about or at least near 1200 yds, then he's still an elite WR and worthy of top dollar. Because, part of what he does for you is draw double coverage. Others that pop up into that level of production for a year or two, do so partially because they don't get that kind of attraction. Thus, if TO gives you those kind of numbers, he does that as well as take another DB out of the picture. That can't be discounted. Like the way Barry Bonds continued to get walked, a guy like TO is going to get that double team for at least a year after he deserves it.

blah blah blah

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, so when TO is no longer useful, he gets cut. How hard is that for some to realize.

And before what 2001, there was one man to hit 61 HR, and since its been done what 4 or 5 times. Im not saying TO is on steroids, but clearly the dude is a freak of nature, and no other WR in the NFL past or present looks like him. Boston was on roids and he was too big for the position, and never the competitor or athlete TO is.

I could care less how many great/good years TO has left. I dont pay the bills, and clearly TO is a top 5 WR next yr, and I guess we will see after that.

But tell me this, can anyone guarantee anyone else will be a top 5 WR in 2010 right now. If Manning goes down, Wayne certainly isnt. S Smith proved what he cant do without a capable QB. And the Wr themselves can always get hurt. So teams pay on past production, and cut the cord when the player is no longer useful.

Ill tell you this, it wouldnt surprise me a bit, to see TO have 10 TD receptions the last yr of this new contract.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Jerry Rice had a few pretty good QB's throwin it to him for a number of years not to mention an All American offense surrounding him. TO has a SOLID running game in place, with a QB, when on his game, is pretty dayum good too. And let's not talk about the O-line. ALL the makings of a good finish to his career. TO will be a beast next year, even while missing his usual game or two, and probably the year after that.

c'mon man, he does sit-ups in his driveway.

Jerry Rice -Height: 6-2 (6'0...let's be real) Weight: 200

Terell Owens -Height: 6-3 Weight: 218 and a beast....

:wacko:

You don't think that any of the other great WRs in the history of the NFL did situps?

I'm not sure when or what I said about Harrison. Seriously, not saying I didn't say it, just honestly don't recall doing so. Kindly post it.

May have been others making the same argument on Harrison's behalf. My apologies if I wrongly attributed that to you.

Seriously, some people think that because these guys are only in the mid 30s that they can continue to perform at an elite level without missing a step, just like going to work at normal jobs at that age.

Father Time is merciless. Facts are facts, and WRs in the past have been incredible athletes also. That didn't preclude them from having age take a significant toll on their games - and when it happened, it happened very quickly in a lot of cases. I'm sure that when Tim Brown put up 91 catches, 1165 yds, and 9 TDs in 2001 at age 35 that a lot of people were projecting the same numbers for him in 2002 at age 36. I'm sure that when Tim Brown put up 96 catches, 1274 yds, and 9 TDs in 2000 at age 35 that a lot of people were projecting the same numbers for him in 2002 at age 36. They're both well ahead of Owens on the reception list.

Let's understand, that even though people contend Owens is the uber-athlete, he is still way behind those 2 guys, as well as some others, as far as receptions in a career. Despite what some people consider to be a superhuman of some kind, he won't get any further than 5th best in NFL history in career receptions. That's an incredible feat, but it doesn't place him head-and-shoulders above all other WRs in the league's existence like some people seem to want to place him.

He may have one good year left.

I guess he didn't light up your teams no.1 db's well enough last year... Yes, he'll be 35 during this season, but the guy has 2-3 elite years left imo... When was the last time a player at this position was as physically gifted and took care of his body that way Owens does? I think sometimes we let our opinions of the person get in the way of our perception of the player. The guy has shown no signs of slowing down yet, so until he loses a step, I don't see it as a bad move. That and what Sarge said about contracts...

May have been others making the same argument on Harrison's behalf. My apologies if I wrongly attributed that to you.

Seriously, some people think that because these guys are only in the mid 30s that they can continue to perform at an elite level without missing a step, just like going to work at normal jobs at that age.

Father Time is merciless. Facts are facts, and WRs in the past have been incredible athletes also. That didn't preclude them from having age take a significant toll on their games - and when it happened, it happened very quickly in a lot of cases. I'm sure that when Tim Brown put up 91 catches, 1165 yds, and 9 TDs in 2001 at age 35 that a lot of people were projecting the same numbers for him in 2002 at age 36. I'm sure that when Tim Brown put up 96 catches, 1274 yds, and 9 TDs in 2000 at age 35 that a lot of people were projecting the same numbers for him in 2002 at age 36. They're both well ahead of Owens on the reception list.

Let's understand, that even though people contend Owens is the uber-athlete, he is still way behind those 2 guys, as well as some others, as far as receptions in a career. Despite what some people consider to be a superhuman of some kind, he won't get any further than 5th best in NFL history in career receptions. That's an incredible feat, but it doesn't place him head-and-shoulders above all other WRs in the league's existence like some people seem to want to place him.

Well, where TO fits in on the all time list really has no bearing on whether this move makes sense or not. The only thing that matters is if he's a stud this year and still among the upper tier the year after. So, what you really need to do is compare Tim Brown at 34 to Tim Brown at 35. There was really not much of a drop-off. 2 less TDs but more yards. Neither year, BTW was as good as TO's stats last year. So, based on the guy you decided to use as an example, Dallas should not expect any drop-off this year.

Now, yes, there was a drop-off from 35-36 but Tim Brown is not as big as TO, so perhaps losing that step was a bigger blow to his game. TO is 4 inches and 20 lbs heavier. That means he doesn't have to get past you to beat you. Not so much with a guy Brown's size. Brown had to be open which is much harder when you slow down.

However, the real point is, given TOs head, you need to have him feeling locked up and taken care of if you're going to expect anything at all out of him this year or next. So, you either lock him up or let somebody else deal with him. However, not taking care of a guy who's produced the way he did last year is not going to sit well with the fans.

Now, yes, there was a drop-off from 35-36 but Tim Brown is not as big as TO, so perhaps losing that step was a bigger blow to his game. TO is 4 inches and 20 lbs heavier. That means he doesn't have to get past you to beat you. Not so much with a guy Brown's size. Brown had to be open which is much harder when you slow down.

Should we compare TO to Harold Carmichael, then? He'll lose ground that way.

If TO is such a superior WR to everyone else on the list - Rice included, presumably - then why aren't his numbers over-the-top better than the other guys, especially considering the rules changes and emphasis that have increased WR's advantages?

Don't get me wrong - the guy is a superb WR. One of the best 5 ever to have played, IMO. But is he the best (after Rice, whom is in a class that no one can touch, IMO)? That's highly debatable, and given his size & strength advatages (as well as the way the game is played now), he ought to be higher up the list if what you say is true.

Edited by Bronco Billy

TO is the active leader in TD receptions (3rd in NFL history), not bad for a guy who was the 89th overall pick in 1996, the draft that featured Keyshawn Johnson taken first overall, with Terry Glenn, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad and Bobby Engram among the receivers taken before Owens.

Should we compare TO to Harold Carmichael, then? He'll lose ground that way.

If TO is such a superior WR to everyone else on the list - Rice included, presumably - then why aren't his numbers over-the-top better than the other guys, especially considering the rules changes and emphasis that have increased WR's advantages?

Don't get me wrong - the guy is a superb WR. One of the best 5 ever to have played, IMO. But is he the best (after Rice, whom is in a class that no one can touch, IMO)? That's highly debatable, and given his size & strength advatages (as well as the way the game is played now), he ought to be higher up the list if what you say is true.

Dude, why does the all-time list have anything to do with anything? He never caught 70 catches until his 5th year. Maybe that has something to do with his career numbers but absolutely nothing to do with how he's going to do in '08 and '09.

What's a much better predictor of how he's going to do the next two years the fact that he didn't put up huge numbers early in his career or how he's done the last 4 where he's produced at a level that would mean 1350 yds and nearly 15 TDs per season. And this has not been slowly declining over that period. Of course, that is not to say that he's assured of equaling those totals next year but I ask you yet again. Will you be drafting him in FF next year? How far do you expect him to fall? Do you think it's wise for a GM to ignore the fact that a guy has been at the top of the game for 4 years solid with no sign of wearing down and pass on him because of some magical thing that happens to people at an arbitrary age.

Edited by detlef

:wacko: BB is such a hater. Even a half step back T.O is still a terrific WR. The guys physical condition is remarkable. Even Rod Smith and Easy Ed had some nice years late in their careers. If T.O doesnt implode which is always a possibility I like the move.