[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Odell Thurman KO'ed?

Bronco Billy

link

Thurman suspended indefinitely

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Former Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman faces an indefinite NFL suspension after violating the league substance abuse policy, SI.com reported.

The Web site cited an unnamed source.

"I have no knowledge of that," Safarrah Lawson, one of Thurman's representatives, told The Enquirer on Monday night.

"That was certainly not the case when the Bengals released him."

The Bengals waived Thurman on May 19. He had been reinstated April 21 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell following what had amounted to a two-year suspension for breaking the substance abuse policy.

Thurman is tested 10 times a month for alcohol and drugs, Lawson said. Under the league policy, a missed test is the same as a failed test.

Thurman has been dealing with the death of his grandmother, who brought him up following the death of Thurman's mother. He attended her funeral in Monticello, Ga., on May 12 and was expected back by the Bengals on May 13 to participate in offseason practices. They are voluntary.

Lawson said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told him that Thurman had not been in the building enough since he was reinstated.

"We've been patient enough with Odell," Lewis told Cincinnati-based media that cover the team.

Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said Monday night that the Bengals would have no comment.

Thurman, the Bengals' second-round pick in 2005, led the team with 148 tackles as a rookie. In July 2006, though, he was suspended for four games for violating the substance abuse policy. The suspension was extended to a full season following his DUI arrest Sept. 25.

In July 2007, Goodell denied Thurman's application for reinstatement.

To be honest. I blame some of this on Goodell. He took him away from what he knew best. More so he took him away from people that could have helped him the most his teammates. That was his foundation pretty much. Outside the ones he lost. I believe leaving him from the game actually hurt him more than it would have ever helped him. That may be the reason for why he is taking it slightly easier on PacMan. Because you have 40 people (teammate wise) that is there to help you and gave you that emotional pickup. Not even to mention the coaching staff and the rest of the crew. We all have issues at some point in life. He just sounds like he didn't have that consist extra backbone to keep him straight.

To be honest. I blame some of this on Goodell. He took him away from what he knew best. More so he took him away from people that could have helped him the most his teammates. That was his foundation pretty much. Outside the ones he lost. I believe leaving him from the game actually hurt him more than it would have ever helped him. That may be the reason for why he is taking it slightly easier on PacMan. Because you have 40 people (teammate wise) that is there to help you and gave you that emotional pickup. Not even to mention the coaching staff and the rest of the crew. We all have issues at some point in life. He just sounds like he didn't have that consist extra backbone to keep him straight.

I respect your opinion, but the only blame for this rests on Thurman's shoulders. He is responsible for his own actions. Not Goodell, not any religious figures, not his neighbor or the dog or the devil. Thurman and Thurman alone holds the responsibility.

As for teammate support, you can see how well that's worked out for the Bengals over the past few years...I don't think that being around Team Toxic would have helped him any. In fact, Goodell may have done him a favor.