[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barry Sanders

Zooty

Emmit Smith on Barry Sanders: I've always known that he was the best. Sure it hurts knowing you are second fiddle and that's why I played all those extra years to get the record and help diminish the pain.

:wacko:

This is not a real quote.

Edited by Puddy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all of you who agree. Lot's of good points, and it only took two hours. Bronco, those stats aren't working out to well for you in a matter of general opinion.

Now had Jim and Barry both stayed and played the extent of their careers, we would be having a different conversation. Barry's father never called his son the best ever, and there may be something to say for that.

I loved the year he broke the 2,000 mark against Indy on Thanksgiving day, If I remember right, he broke it with a big run. I believe he had another big run after that when he subbed for his sub. Not too sure, as I was pretty full of turkey and half drunk watchin the game in muh Barry Sanders jersey.

<<<<<<<<THIS IS SICK! :D

cheers :wacko:

If anyone ever bothered to read 'Never Die Easy' which was Payton's autobiography he was working on when he died, there are several less known facts near the end of his career. Some o you may know, but whenever these debates pop up I always see "had Barry of Jim kept playing...." well, there's a story about Payton's career having been cut short as well.

Basically: priot to the Rams moving back to St Louis, Payton was angling to become the first minority owner in the NFL by leading the St Louis bid for an expansion team that ended up being awarded years later in the Car/Jax expanion. In his book he talks about that while his career was winding down, he basically had an agreement with the Commish's office that if he were to retire and join the St Louis effort full force the city would get its team, and Payton's post football career would include being a team owner (as a shareholder). His retirment came about because of said wink wink nudge nudge which was thrown to the wayside when Rozelle left and Tags took over. He claims he would have kept playing and still had the drive to do so, even though at the time the Bears were transitioning to Neal Anderson. And if you want to knock him for his 1987 yardage totals, remember that was a strike year.

Well, I always look at the argument as, "If I were starting a franchise and could pick one RB from the history of the NFL to be my RB - with all other facets of the team being equal, who would I draft?"

That answer is pretty easy for me: Jim Brown performed like no other RB in NFL history, and D players were actually afraid of him. Payton would be awfully close, not in the fear issue, but in the way he would always move forward, even when moving laterally, and would only give ground if absolutely forced to do so. When he did give ground, he looked like a guy 30 pounds lighter with the way he changed direction, but he still delivered punishment to any players willing to take him head on. It took one D player to make Sanders change direction. It took 3 or 4 to make Payton do it.

In fact, if I were picking just one RB to be my main guy and Brown & Payton were off the board, I'd probably look at Eric Dickerson and everything that he brought to the table before I would consider Sanders or Smith.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'll take a punishing big back any day of the week--I've paid through the nose to get and keep SJAX in my local for the past two years--but Emmitt wasn't punishing. He was a well-rounded back who made up for what he lacked in talent with heart and desire. I think Emmitt is on par with (and comparable to) Marcus Allen and Curtis Martin--no shabby company, that! But Barry was worlds better than Emmitt in every measureable way, except for team successes and media honors.

If we can compare apples to oranges, Payton/Smith are in many respects the Hanks Aaron of the NFL; Jim Brown is positively Ruthian, Sanders is probably Willie Mays. Maybe Mantle.

Which would make whom Barry Bonds...?

I don't think the NFL has a notable Bonds yet - maybe Riggins - who was a Pro Bowl Caliber RB early in his career but really cranked it up right around the age most RBs start to fall apart.*

* - this is obviously in a perfect world where Bonds had no steroid issues.

Which would make whom Barry Bonds...?

LT2. Bonds was the "Best All-Around Player in Baseball" for 15 years before BALCO and the Joe Piscopo impression; LT2 is nothing less than great in every way. Both will have rewritten the record books when all is said and done.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

LT2. Bonds was the "Best All-Around Player in Baseball" for 15 years before BALCO and the Joe Piscopo impression; LT2 is nothing less than great in every way. Both will have rewritten the record books when all is said and done.

Peace

policy

Don't you ever get tired of being so far on the wrong side of issues?

Don't you ever get tired of being so far on the wrong side of issues?

I'm the prophet in the desert my friend. I think the unkempt mane, long and natty beard, and burlap sack tied with a rope suit me well.

Seriously though, the "Emmit is so great" argument always comes down to "he's got the record" (ETA: and/or "he's got so many rings" which IMO doesn't mean nearly as much in football as it does in other sports). LT2 will take the record, and Emmitt will take his rightful place in the third or fourth echelon of great backs.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote