[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parker/Mendenhall

polksalet

At worst I am the second most die hard Steelers fan on these boards next to Menudo. I also think I am one of the few Steelers fans around to think that FWP sucks. I really think he is a situational back playing behind an exceptional line in an exceptional system. With the line being degraded this year and with Mendenhall being superior I do not know where to buy FWP. I really think Mendenhall could have the job wrapped up by week 4 with FWP still taking 1/3 of the carries. I think we will end up the season with Mendenhall having1300 apy and 10 tds and FWP with 900 and 4.

How bout it?

I would not touch Parker this season...period...

I like Mendenhall at the right price, but I won't jump on him too early...

Yeah me too. Mendenhall is a complete RB but will need to impress in camp to unthrone FWP.

I would not touch Parker this season...period...

I like Mendenhall at the right price, but I won't jump on him too early...

Pretty much how I feel. This RBBC may scare me the most of any in the league because it could go either way and at this point I get no true sense on who the coaching staff favors.

Pretty much how I feel. This RBBC may scare me the most of any in the league because it could go either way and at this point I get no true sense on who the coaching staff favors.

and even after that....Tomlin is still pass happy..

Yeah with the Mendenhall and Sweed picks I am definitely holding team qb in 32h. I doubt Roethlisberger will repeat his gaudy season but I think it will still be a good year.

At worst I am the second most die hard Steelers fan on these boards next to Menudo. I also think I am one of the few Steelers fans around to think that FWP sucks. I really think he is a situational back playing behind an exceptional line in an exceptional system. With the line being degraded this year and with Mendenhall being superior I do not know where to buy FWP. I really think Mendenhall could have the job wrapped up by week 4 with FWP still taking 1/3 of the carries. I think we will end up the season with Mendenhall having1300 apy and 10 tds and FWP with 900 and 4.

How bout it?

I'm not as down as Parker as you are. Last year, he was leading the NFL in rushing when he was injured, and that line was FAR from exceptional. That said, Mendenhall is quite simply a better all-around back, and WILL take the job from Parker. The only question is, when will it happen ? The Steelers organization is loyal, and Tomlin seems to be that way as well. Parker will get the benefit of the doubt early, and the way I see it, Mendenhall will gradually start seeing more and more playing time as the season goes on, but, won't become the starter until around Game 10. With the offensive line in disarray, I'm concerned about this offense as a whole. They have weapons, so, they will still do decent, but, you will only go as far as your offensive line allows. Hopefully, they surprise me, but, as of now, I think we have one of the weakest offensive lines in the league. I'm still happy with this year's draft, as I don't think they could resist take Mendenhall & Sweed when they fell to them, but, the positive effects might not be seen until possibly next year, but, more likely two years from now. After this year, I think the Steelers will know that they have no choice but to address their offensive line heading into next season.

Just my :wacko:

Tomlin is NOT pass happy. Check out Parker's carries before his injury. I will give you that he and Arians seem to like to turn to the pass in the redzone, but, they are still a run first team. Parker's injury last year forced them to become more pass happy.

This is going to end up as true RBBC as you will see in the NFL, IMHO. Parker has loads of talent and it is packed into a blazing fast body. He is not going to end up sitting and watching games. I see this team looking like it did way back in the 70's with Harris/Blier both coming out of that same backfield. I've already heard wispers of this from several Steeler sources.

As to where to draft either of them. :wacko: I think you will get both on the cheap as no one wants to get in the middle of an RBBC situation.

What evidence do you have that Mendenhall is a superior RB to Parker?

Mendenhall put up superb stats in 2007, but couldn't get past UDFA Pierre Thomas on the depth chart in 2006. He benefited tremedously from running in a spread offense, and especially from Illinois' very dangerous QB Isaiah Williams. He has trouble getting to the edge, and that will be even tougher for him in the bigs. He also has ball security issues. He's a tough runner between the tackles, but his lack of an explosive burst may cost him being anything more than the inside component of a RBBC at the NFL level.

The guy put up those great numbers for exactly one year, and he did it in an offensive system where a lot of RBs who have put up great numbers in college have failed going to the next level. I especially love the comparison that nfldraftscout makes of Mendenhall to Benson as a comparable NFL RB. That may not be too far off...

Mendenhall has a lot to prove. There's a reason he dropped all the way to PIT. Right now, Parker looks like tremendous value in the coming year's drafts.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Yeah with the Mendenhall and Sweed picks I am definitely holding team qb in 32h. I doubt Roethlisberger will repeat his gaudy season but I think it will still be a good year.

I think he could improve by being more consistent as well as more comfortable with the offense..

Tomlin is NOT pass happy. Check out Parker's carries before his injury. I will give you that he and Arians seem to like to turn to the pass in the redzone, but, they are still a run first team. Parker's injury last year forced them to become more pass happy.

I am saying that he prefers passing.....the Steelers still do run the ball, but much less than they used to...

I liked the offense last year, but he took the Steelers offense too far away from what made it somewhat of an extension of it's defense....which had the potential to slowly kill you by pounding the ball...

Parker doesn't pound, he needs a nice hole or open field to be most effective...

This is going to end up as true RBBC as you will see in the NFL, IMHO. Parker has loads of talent and it is packed into a blazing fast body. He is not going to end up sitting and watching games. I see this team looking like it did way back in the 70's with Harris/Blier both coming out of that same backfield. I've already heard wispers of this from several Steeler sources.

As to where to draft either of them. :wacko: I think you will get both on the cheap as no one wants to get in the middle of an RBBC situation.

they should definitely run both backs out there....the Eagles are doing the same thing with Westbrook and Booker...both catch well and only one runs well..

but I think getting Mendenhall helps take the load off Parker enough to help his longevity, but somewhat indicates that he may be changing some things in the offense..

they should definitely run both backs out there....the Eagles are doing the same thing with Westbrook and Booker...both catch well and only one runs well..

but I think getting Mendenhall helps take the load off Parker enough to help his longevity, but somewhat indicates that he may be changing some things in the offense..

I agree 100%. Before the draft Parker said that he would love for them to draft a big back. I really don't think it is good to have Parker getting the amount of touches he does. I would like to see Mendenhall be an effective pounder that wears them down a little to where Parker can come in and run the sheet out of a worn defense.

Parker just couldn't find the end zone last year. And with Mendy there, I fear it'll be more of the same this year.