[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A most extrodinary wine

Kid Cid

Most of you know by now that I'm far from an expert on wines but that I know good from bad and my palate has been moderately educated. I can taste distinct flavors in the wines but for the most part I couldn't tell you if something will cellar well and open up in 10-20 years or if they're worth the price paid other than by I'd pay that much for that wine. But I've drank quite a few wines in all price categories and tasted many more and when I tell you that I triend the most extrodinary wine I've ever tasted, well all I can say is that you should all go try it yourself and call me a liar.

The 2005 Moss Roxx is an ancient vine Zinfandel from the Lodi region. It's made by the Oak Ridge Winery in Lodi, CA. Everything about this wine tells you that you are in for something different, starting with the bottle itself. It's a good 2 inches taller than any other bottle, made from an exceptionally dark, thick green glass and it weighs about twice what a normal bottle weighs. It was priced at $49.95 and it is the first wine in that price range that I think is probably too cheap.

I've been a fan of Lodi region Zinfandels for quite some time now, I think they're the best wines coming from CA. They tend to be fruit forward with a lot of complexity. In other words, big, bold, and chewy. Great wines for steaks or pasta but easy enough to drink for the sake of drinking. Most are on the dark side of the color spectrum. The first thing you notice about the Moss Roxx is that it's not a wine that sucks the light out of the room like many of Zins do. It's lighter in color, much more like a solid Pinot Noir. The nose has hints of oak but nothing overpowering. Light and fruity much like its color, the aroma is also like no other Zin I've had before.

The first thing that hits you is this floral taste that immediately leaves an impression on you. That is quickly subsumed by the fruit typical of Zins. You get that hint of blackberry or plums without the jammy consistency, all the while still trying to place exactly what flower it is your tasting. Then as you swallow, those naughty flavors show up, the leather and tar. Like all the other flavors present they tend to linger on the tongue and in your memory far longer than they should, yet they didn't assault you when you first tasted them. All of these flavors are amazingly balanced, not one of them is overpowering of the others. The tannins are almost non-existant, you don't feel like your mouth has been raped by a vacuum cleaner after tasting this wine either.

The proprietor of the store that sold me this wine was quite funny about it as well. It's a little place called the Cork and Fork. I had gone back there to get another couple bottles of Klincker's Brick, another very fine Lodi Zin in the $20 range. I saw the Moss Roxx the last time I was there and decided to grab it this time for grins along with the Klincker's Brick. As I'm checking out, he compliments me on my selection of the Klincker's Brick, launching into a little spiel about how the Governator was presented with a bill declaring the Zinfandel grape a California state treasure which he refused to sign. He goes on to say that the Zins are the best thing coming out of CA right now and he finishes with a little, "of which the Moss Roxx is the best. You'll love it." and he gives a little wink. That's it, it was the only time he mentioned the Moss Roxx. He didn't have to, it sold itself and I'm pretty sure he knew it.

Never had it or heard of it ... but I'll keep an eye open for it. I think a good Zin is a great wine at a decent price (vs. Cabs). I always grab a few bottles of Seghesio as soon as they hit the shelf - good wine for $20. :wacko:

Edited by nogohawk

I've had this. I'll pull my notes this evening, but I remember it being pretty good juice. I could be wrong, but I thought I paid quite a bit less though.

Notes: Nice Medium Body Zin. Not much jumping out of the glass to the nose, but decent fruit on the palette with a nice layer of spice throughout a decent length finish. 91.

Of course, my scoring doesnt mean much, but there it is. Oh, I also only paid $28 for it.

Notes: Nice Medium Body Zin. Not much jumping out of the glass to the nose, but decent fruit on the palette with a nice layer of spice throughout a decent length finish. 91.

Of course, my scoring doesnt mean much, but there it is. Oh, I also only paid $28 for it.

We always pay a premium to get the good stuff out here on the East Coast. :wacko: