[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DB Roy Williams can't cover...

Chavez

Some people just shouldn't talk.

Williams went through the entire 2007 season without a sack. He struggled in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defensive scheme to the point Phillips didn't start him in two games. There was talk of a feud between Williams and coaches and even some teammates after Williams -- whose horse-collar tackles led to a rule banning them -- got himself suspended by horse-collaring the Eagles' Donovan McNabb.

Two Cowboys questioned him recently in the media. Greg Ellis said Williams has been whining and distancing himself from teammates. Terence Newman said Williams "had a bad season" in coverage thanks to his "deer in headlights type of reaction to some plays."

With that as context, here's what Williams told the Oklahoman last week:

"Ever since I've rededicated my life to Christ, I've caught way more persecution now," he said. "But it's a beautiful thing because I know it's a breakthrough coming for me. I welcome it. What makes me any better than Christ? He was persecuted and I've been persecuted. My teammates know where my heart is. They know where my mind is at."

:wacko:

Um, hey Roy, they're criticizing you because your play on the field absolutely STANK last year; I don't think the coaches, Greg Ellis, and Terrence Newman care if you believe in Jesus, Buddha, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster so long as receivers aren't streaking past you in coverage and RBs aren't faking you out of your jock 20 yds downfield.

How is it that the writer of this article didn't follow that response up with: "What does this have to do with how you played last year?"

Don't get me wrong...I'm a big JC guy myself. But if I tried to use that excuse when my colleagues call me to the mat, my bosses would certainly think I have lost my freaking mind.

He wants to avoid the subject so he invokes JC, thinking he'll get a free pass. Looks like this reporter gave it to him.