[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rex Grossman fights to start as QB

WaterMan

Jun 2

The Associated Press reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said he is prepared to let QB Rex Grossman and QB Kyle Orton compete for the team's starting quarterback job until the fourth game of the preseason. "Ideally you would like to have someone in place going into that last week of the preseason," Smith said. "But we'll just let it play out. If it's not clear by then, we'll let it go right up until (preseason's end)."

Did the Bears think that this year's QB class just wasn't worth it? I mean, you know you don't really have a QB, so why not take a chance on a 2nd round pick?

If they did that, they would admit they were wrong about their picks from the last few drafts. :wacko:

Did the Bears think that this year's QB class just wasn't worth it? I mean, you know you don't really have a QB, so why not take a chance on a 2nd round pick?

I would not have minded Brian Brohm, but consdier Chad Henne kryptonite, so I'm fine with passing on him. None of the others really impressed me, and I'm glad they didn't just pick a guy to pick a guy. Then again, I've never felt Orton has been given a fair shot and want him to get one.

Grossman's lucky to still even be in the NFL. He should be on the Joey Harrington career path now, not fighting for a starting job. Excellent job of drafting, Bears!

Grossman was a bad-ass at Florida, has a cannon arm, and the Bears got him late in the first round. I believe that he was also their second pick in that draft. So I wouldn't say that he's an example of bad drafting. Benson is a much better example of that.

Their year's QB class was pretty weak. They also have Orton, who is arguably as good as any of the QBs that they could've taken. Plus, they currently don't have a quality WR or halfback, and their offensive line is in shambles.

And speaking of bad decisions, why in the hell did Grossman re-sign with the Bears? If I were him, I would've signed as a backup with a team that has some offensive talent and a coach who knows how to develop QBs. He's not going to get any better playing for the Bears.

If they did that, they would admit they were wrong about their picks from the last few drafts. :wacko:

+1...and it shouldn't take getting arrested twice in a 30 day span for them to admit that.

What is it about the leadership of the Chicago sports teams? They are all suffering from lack of it and from high-ego individuals who put how they look above how they perform. I mean, the Blackhawks don't count as a good team any more, the Bulls can't get out of Reinsdorf's way, the Bears need to can Angelo in the worst way and the Cubs and their ownership and sale...ugh.

There is no single NFL franchise that has been more inept at securing a quality QB over the past 40+ years than the Bears. McMahon is the only guy Bears' fans can point at with any pride whatsoever, and he was nothing better than mediocre. Hell, you'd figure over that time span with as many QBs as they've seen, that they'd stumble over one just by accident...

If any QB were drafted by the Bears, the first thing that must go through their minds is, "Do I really suck that badly?"

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would not have minded Brian Brohm, but consdier Chad Henne kryptonite, so I'm fine with passing on him. None of the others really impressed me, and I'm glad they didn't just pick a guy to pick a guy. Then again, I've never felt Orton has been given a fair shot and want him to get one.

A lot of Bears fan feel that way about Orton. I wasn't impressed when he started but he was a rookie and they won. Wasn't he the starter last year in Chicago when they kicked our Packer arses in the cold and wind? Played well in that game.

I like the open competition plan.

There is no single NFL franchise that has been more inept at securing a quality QB over the past 40+ years than the Bears. McMahon is the only guy Bears' fans can point at with any pride whatsoever, and he was nothing better than mediocre.

McMahon was a lot better than mediocre. He had some absolutely tremendous games for the Bears back in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, he's made of glass and injuries destroyed his career.

But I absolutely agree with the first line of your post. The Bears' QB problems are mind-boggling.

McMahon was a lot better than mediocre. He had some absolutely tremendous games for the Bears back in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, he's made of glass and injuries destroyed his career.

Sorry, Bill, I can't agree with you on this. Any QB who spent 13 years in the league (I won't count his last 2 w/ GB), had a (by far) career best year of 2392 yds passing with 15 TDs & 11 INTs, and whose INT % was equal to or exceeded his TD % in 6 of those 13 years can't ever be described as anything better than mediocre.

Would I want to go out & have a few beers with the guy? In a heartbeat. But as my team's starting QB? Noooooooooooooo!

I still think Grossman can be a good. His WR's sucked bad last year. His WR are at least capable of catching now. But who know you still need a RB and an O line. But last yr problems was not all Rex fault thats for sure.

They picked up a really promising LT in the draft.

As well as a solid, all-around (from what I've heard and read) RB. The WR's are still suspect, though, but no more excuses for Rex. Even when Thomas Jones was there and running well, the D was solid and the O-Line was solid, he still underwhelmed. And he had Muhammad and Berrian to throw to. Not exactly Harrison and Wayne, but still decent.

IMO, not having seen him as much as other Huddlers, his problem stems from poor decision-making and not from lack of physical ability.

Edited by The Wolf

Sorry, Bill, I can't agree with you on this. Any QB who spent 13 years in the league (I won't count his last 2 w/ GB), had a (by far) career best year of 2392 yds passing with 15 TDs & 11 INTs, and whose INT % was equal to or exceeded his TD % in 6 of those 13 years can't ever be described as anything better than mediocre.

McMahon played on a conservative, run-first offense and his only halfway decent receiving target was Willie Gault. And because of injuries, I don't think that he ever played a full 16-game season. So it's no wonder that he didn't have gaudy numbers. Also consider the era, where teams not located in Miami, San Diego, or San Francisco didn't throw the ball nearly as much as they do now. I believe that Elway had one 20-TD season back in the '80s, and his INT numbers were always somewhere in the teens. And, of course, I don't put McMahon anywhere near Elway career-wise.

Seriously, you need to do more than look at pro-football-reference.com to evaluate McMahon. He was outstanding in the '85 playoffs and rallied his team from a deficit while injured (two TDs in about two minuites) in Minnesota earlier that season.

But as my team's starting QB? Noooooooooooooo!

The '85 Bears disagree with you. The guy was hurt all of the time, but he was a rock-solid, clutch QB when healthy.

Seriously, the Bears were ranked 2nd in the NFL in points scored in '85. The following season, McMahon got body-slammed into the turf and separated his shoulder, and the Bears slid back to 13th and scored a measley 13 points in their first (and only) playoff game. This despite Payton still being productive and their defense actually giving up fewer points than they did the previous year.

Edited by Bill Swerski

McMahon played on a conservative, run-first offense and his only halfway decent receiving target was Willie Gault. And because of injuries, I don't think that he ever played a full 16-game season. So it's no wonder that he didn't have gaudy numbers. Also consider the era, where teams not located in Miami, San Diego, or San Francisco didn't throw the ball nearly as much as they do now. I believe that Elway had one 20-TD season back in the '80s, and his INT numbers were always somewhere in the teens. And, of course, I don't put McMahon anywhere near Elway career-wise.

Seriously, you need to do more than look at pro-football-reference.com to evaluate McMahon. He was outstanding in the '85 playoffs and rallied his team from a deficit while injured (two TDs in about two minuites) in Minnesota earlier that season.

The '85 Bears disagree with you. The guy was hurt all of the time, but he was a rock-solid, clutch QB when healthy.

Seriously, the Bears were ranked 2nd in the NFL in points scored in '85. The following season, McMahon got body-slammed into the turf and separated his shoulder, and the Bears slid back to 13th and scored a measley 13 points in their first (and only) playoff game. This despite Payton still being productive and their defense actually giving up fewer points than they did the previous year.

I think your argument kind of proves BB's point: McMahon was good for moments or perhaps stringing a few of those to create a flourish, but there was nothing sustainable in the end. His attitude towards allowing himself to get hurt was was started the locker room trouble that prevented any SB repeats.

I think your argument kind of proves BB's point: McMahon was good for moments or perhaps stringing a few of those to create a flourish, but there was nothing sustainable in the end. His attitude towards allowing himself to get hurt was was started the locker room trouble that prevented any SB repeats.

BB's argument was that McMahon was mediocre... period. And anybody who actually watched McMahon play in his prime knows that isn't true.

BB's argument was that McMahon was mediocre... period. And anybody who actually watched McMahon play in his prime knows that isn't true.

That's for sure. His stats weren't there but he did take over games and play very well during his peak. The Bears were still a run/defensive team and McMahon fit that team well.

His problem was he was fragile as hell, and tougher than his body would allow.

This is the important part of your post. It wasn't so much that McMahon was fragile it is that he was fearless and men twice his size were more than happy to oblige him in his desire to prove his invincibility.

He also never shut up on the field and therefore was an even greater target for the late hits in the backfield.

I don't think McMahon was great but he was a very good QB for that team. Given the abundance of talent that the 85 Bears had any team would have been more than happy to have him lead them to a Superbowl victory!

I don't think McMahon was great but he was a very good QB for that team. Given the abundance of talent that the 85 Bears had any team would have been more than happy to have him lead them to a Superbowl victory!

With that D & Payton in the backfield, Zippy the Pinhead could've QBed the team to a SB win. McMahon may have been the least accomplished QB ever to win a SB - and that includes Dilfer in the mix.

:wacko:

I got more than my fill of watching McMahon play. Great leader? Yep. Inspiration to his team? Uh-huh. Class AAA lovable flake? Absolutely.

That doesn't change that he was a mediocre QB.

With that D & Payton in the backfield, Zippy the Pinhead could've QBed the team to a SB win. McMahon may have been the least accomplished QB ever to win a SB - and that includes Dilfer in the mix.

Hang on, Bill. I'm getting ready to retract this statement, and my apologies. I did a little research and will start a separate thread so that people can get in a whole new pissing contest.