[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Knife sharpeners

rocknrobn26

We have decent not great knives (Chicago Cutlery). A couple I can bring back w/ a steel, but many need a good sharpening. Should I just seek out a place that does this, or get an electric one? I know the difference between hollow grinding vs bevel grinding and was wondering what model does bevel grinding, if any. As a kid there used to be this old Italian guy that would walk the neighborhood w/ a red cart and a bell walking the streets. I guess our current hood is too hilly! :D I could use a stone, but there are too many, plus w/ my jerky arms I'd prolly slit my wrists! :wacko:

Anyone have a good one? Or should I seek out a place that does this?

TIA

Here is an extremely good intro to the world of knife sharpening, including some recommendations on sharpeners and a DIY knife sharpener if you're so inclined. I personally have the Spyderco system. Very simple and easy to use and quick to setup and store. YMMV.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

i was lookin at these but cid kids article says those electric ones are like dobermans

I suspect that much like anything else some of it is your comfort level. For example, my MIL throws her knive sin a drawer, has never sharpened them and couldn't cut a tomato with them if she tried. Getting her one of those electric jobbies would be like knife nirvanna for her because any sharpening would be better than the abuse and neglect they currently get.

However, I suspect that RR is beyond that stage and would most likely benefit from something a little more advanced in spite of his age. If you care about keeping your knives for more than a couple of years, then you most definitely should avoid the electric jobbie.

Edited by Kid Cid

I suspect that much like anything else some of it is your comfort level. For example, my MIL throws her knive sin a drawer, has never sharpened them and couldn't cut a tomato with them if she tried. Getting her one of those electric jobbies would be like knife nirvanna for her because any sharpening would be better than the abuse and neglect they currently get.

However, I suspect that RR is beyond that stage and would most likely benefit from something a little more advanced in spite of his age. If you care about keeping your knives for more than a couple of years, then you most definitely should avoid the electric jobbie.

I don't think he's planning on using it every day. Mainly use the steel but occasionally give em a good sharpening with something electric.

This particular one is a lot more delicate than the one my mom had when I was growing up on the back of the electric can opener :wacko:

I don't think he's planning on using it every day. Mainly use the steel but occasionally give em a good sharpening with something electric.

This particular one is a lot more delicate than the one my mom had when I was growing up on the back of the electric can opener :wacko:

:D at the can opener grinder. Those things were good for sharpening cold chisels!

Exactly! I checked out their site and saw the exactly method they use. It produces a beveled edge in steps and then hones. I bought this one.... for $59. Trying it out later. I'll report back later.

Only had time to do 1 knife. I tells the wife pick the worst one. It's a 6" utility knife, dull as a butter knife. I followed the instructions, it took about 4 mins, but voila, it worked well on carving a roast beef, cooked in our new convection oven. Side bar....convection is pretty cool.

The jury is still out, but it removed minimal (unnoticeable) steel from the knife and worked well.

More to come.

• 1 year later...
Only had time to do 1 knife. I tells the wife pick the worst one. It's a 6" utility knife, dull as a butter knife. I followed the instructions, it took about 4 mins, but voila, it worked well on carving a roast beef, cooked in our new convection oven. Side bar....convection is pretty cool.

The jury is still out, but it removed minimal (unnoticeable) steel from the knife and worked well.

More to come.

Meh. I followed the directions to a tee and got mediocre results. I took a few back to the steel and most did well.

As far as storage I highly recc one of these if you have a drawer that will accommodate it.

What about electric knives?

Side bar:

Seriously, I had the hands of a surgeon. Steady as a rock. If you don't believe me ask anyone you know that can weld and ask them how many razor blades they have welded together. I know some of you are laughing, but a GOOD welder needs very steady hands and perfect eye/hand coordination. I lost that (steady hands) w/ my 2 shoulder surgeries and the neck surgery w/ all the nerve damage.

So that being said I can't carve like I used to and my wife never could.

Are electric knives going to solve our problem? Brand? Any other info....

TIA

Edited by rocknrobn26

Meh. I followed the directions to a tee and got mediocre results. I took a few back to the steel and most did well.

As far as storage I highly recc one of these if you have a drawer that will accommodate it.

What about electric knives?

Side bar:

Seriously, I had the hands of a surgeon. Steady as a rock. If you don't believe me ask anyone you know that can weld and ask them how many razor blades they have welded together. I know some of you are laughing, but a GOOD welder needs very steady hands and perfect eye/hand coordination. I lost that (steady hands) w/ my 2 shoulder surgeries and the neck surgery w/ all the nerve damage.

So that being said I can't carve like I used to and my wife never could.

Are electric knives going to solve our problem? Brand? Any other info....

TIA

Personally I think that the portion of mise en place (prep before cooking, in short) that requires knife work is far more in need of a steady hand than carving. That being said, perhaps you want to look into carving knives that have a serated edge rather than a beveled or hand sharpened one. They will stay sharp longer and will allow you to not have to be as preceise. You'll notice that most electric knives come with a serated edge, it requires more of a sawing motion than a slice.

I can't recommend any type of electric knife as I have never used one.

Personally I think that the portion of mise en place (prep before cooking, in short)

mise en place refers to "putting in place." it has more to do with what needs to be prepped and where it goes than prepping. essential in organizing our prep lists.

ie: when i ran the kitchen i organized each station by what components went into each of their dishes. then organize it on the line by dish. i laminated each station's list (including salad bowls, tongs, spats, etc) that list is your mise. most of us get to a point where you can walk onto your station and know how it's mapped and what is needed without the list...but is great for new employees and keeping continuity when they have someone else working the next shift if they are off.

Edited by Bier Meister

Personally I think that the portion of mise en place (prep before cooking, in short) that requires knife work is far more in need of a steady hand than carving. That being said, perhaps you want to look into carving knives that have a serated edge rather than a beveled or hand sharpened one. They will stay sharp longer and will allow you to not have to be as preceise. You'll notice that most electric knives come with a serated edge, it requires more of a sawing motion than a slice.

I can't recommend any type of electric knife as I have never used one.

We have a large carving knife that is serrated, but even w/ that on some things like a roast or turkey are still a bit difficult to get nice even slices. I figured w/ an electric knife one could concentrate on direction because the sawing motion is takin' care of. I could be wrong. :wacko:

i have never carved a turkey with a serated knife......doesn't it tear it appart?

when carving i use something that resembles this

Yes ours does. We have a knife similar to the one you posted sans the little dimples, but again for us it's not easy to use.

mise en place refers to "putting in place." it has more to do with what needs to be prepped and where it goes than prepping. essential in organizing our prep lists.

ie: when i ran the kitchen i organized each station by what components went into each of their dishes. then organize it on the line by dish. i laminated each station's list (including salad bowls, tongs, spats, etc) that list is your mise. most of us get to a point where you can walk onto your station and know how it's mapped and what is needed without the list...but is great for new employees and keeping continuity when they have someone else working the next shift if they are off.

As always, you droppin the knowledge. Thanx.

Yes ours does. We have a knife similar to the one you posted sans the little dimples, but again for us it's not easy to use.

How about this for birds, instead of slicing the breast directly off the bird, remove the entire breast from the bone and place that on the cutting board. Then cut the breast into slices like you would a loaf of bread.

How about this for birds, instead of slicing the breast directly off the bird, remove the entire breast from the bone and place that on the cutting board. Then cut the breast into slices like you would a loaf of bread.

this is exactly what i did on carving stations.