[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees or Delhomme? Which is the better QB?

Flyman

For non-Saints and non-Panther fans, who is the better QB, Brees or Delhomme? Which would you say is the better QB in the NFL, not necessarily fantasy? Why? If you had to choose one for your NFL team, who would it be? Thanks.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brees.

Stays healthier and does not make the same mistakes that Delhomme does. I do love Delhomme's competitiveness and spirit, however (he was fearless in the Super Bowl), but I would take Brees in a heartbeat.

if Delhomme is healthy it is 100% him

Steve Smith + Moose + Hackett + 1 round rookie of '07 + Good run game.

Jake is the man.

Rivers has average wides, a TE with a toe problem and an amazing running back.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Brees.

Stays healthier and does not make the same mistakes that Delhomme does. I do love Delhomme's competitiveness and spirit, however (he was fearless in the Super Bowl), but I would take Brees in a heartbeat.

this is going on the thought that you could get Jake a round or two later.

I would - without question - pass on Brees to pick up Jake.

I 'might' against conventional wisdom take Jake over Brees if they were the only 2 left and everyone beyond them was a big step down.

make that 'likely'

for me its all about injury. much like Favre... I accept his mistakes as part of the creature he is.

if Delhomme is healthy it is 100% him

Steve Smith + Moose + Hackett + 1 round rookie of '07 + Good run game.

Jake is the man.

Rivers has average wides, a TE with a toe problem and an amazing running back.

Flyman was asking about taking either Brees or Delhomme not in the fantasy sense, but if you had an NFL team, who do you want as your QB. Just making sure that was clear, because yourt response seems based in the fantasy football sense.

Also...Rivers? How is he in the conversation? :wacko:

Also...Rivers? How is he in the conversation? :wacko:

In a word... or two... Johnny Walker.

Brees? I think you have to take Brees over Delhomme.

he has a great group of wides and a RB who is better at catching then rushing.

In a fantasy sense... Brees

In an owners sense Delhomme... way more heart.

Edited by Duchess Jack

I'd take Brees in a heartbeat. 4400 passing yards the last two years and 26+ TDs in NO. Delhomme is good too but has only topped 3425 passing yards once in five years as a starter and only once had more than 24 TDs. CAR likes to run, NO likes to throw. Plus NO has a worse defense and has to catch up.

I don't see how anyone can validate Delhomme in this argument.

Delhomme literally put an under-talented team on his back, and led them to within four seconds of a Super Bowl upset of the Patriots. He has all the tools of being a superior leader to Brees, who at this point hasn't proven he can win a tug-of-war with my daughter, let alone lead a team to a Super Bowl.

This is not a "who has better stats" topic...the original poster asked "who would you want to lead your NFL team"?

No brainer.....Delhomme

I'd take Brees in a heartbeat. 4400 passing yards the last two years and 26+ TDs in NO. Delhomme is good too but has only topped 3425 passing yards once in five years as a starter and only once had more than 24 TDs. CAR likes to run, NO likes to throw. Plus NO has a worse defense and has to catch up.

this isn't a "who would you rather have on your fantasy team" question....

this isn't a "who would you rather have on your fantasy team" question....

Doesn't matter which to me. Delhomme had a much better team around him when he almost reached the SB than what Brees has ever had. Delhomme also had one of the best WR in the game playing for him - Brees helped an undrafted rookie turn into a stud. Plus Delhomme has not been as durable as Brees. I would still prefer Brees.

I don't think it's even close - Brees. All Brees does is prove people wrong. I don't see how anyone can validate Delhomme in this argument.

If he stays healthy next year he may be in the conversation. If not it may be Matt Moore's team and the HC could be Cowher.

Doesn't matter which to me. Delhomme had a much better team around him when he almost reached the SB than what Brees has ever had. Delhomme also had one of the best WR in the game playing for him - Brees helped an undrafted rookie turn into a stud. Plus Delhomme has not been as durable as Brees. I would still prefer Brees.

Sounds like you could replace Brees with Vick in that.

Brees 2005

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson

FB: Lorenzo Neal

QB: Drew Brees

WR: Keenan McCardell

RT: Shane Olivea

RG: Mike Goff

C: Nick Hardwick

LG: Toniu Fonoti

LT: Roman Oben

TE: Antonio Gates

WR: Eric Parker

Not a bad bunch. :wacko:

Brees 2005

RB: LaDainian Tomlinson

FB: Lorenzo Neal

QB: Drew Brees

WR: Keenan McCardell

RT: Shane Olivea

RG: Mike Goff

C: Nick Hardwick

LG: Toniu Fonoti

LT: Roman Oben

TE: Antonio Gates

WR: Eric Parker

Not a bad bunch. :wacko:

If you want to pull one season out of the bag, Delhomme passed for 3421 yards and 24 TDs that same year. SD went 9-7 on the year and CAR went 11-5 with a better team (obviously) and yet Brees had higher passing numbers than Delhomme. The deeper you go into this the more apples to oranges it becomes, but only one season in the last four has Delhomme done more than Brees.

Lets look at what has happened over the last four seasons:

Jake Delhomme
Year	G	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Int
2004	16	310	533	58.2	3886	29	15
2005	16	262	435	60.2	3421	24	16
2006	13	263	431	61	2805	17	11
2007	03	55	86	64	624	8	1
Total	48	890	1485	61%	10736	78	43

Drew Brees							
Year	G	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Int
2004	15	262	400	65.5	3159	27	7
2005	16	323	500	64.6	3576	24	15
2006	16	356	554	64.3	4418	26	11
2007	16	440	652	67.5	4423	28	18
Total	63	1381	2106	66%	15576	105	51

Aside from the better overall stats produced by Brees, he had a higher completion rate in every year over Delhomme. The two are very comparable on interceptions except per game, Brees had 0.8 per game and Delhomme has thrown 0.9 per game. Brees has 1.7 TDs per game over that time while Delhomme had 1.6. Oh yes, and Delhomme is four years older than Brees which is germane to the question "which QB would you rather build your team around."

The reality is that Brees was 28 years old last year and at that age, Delhomme had just started his first year ever with 3219 yards and 19 scores with 16 interceptions compared to Bree's 4423 and 28 scores at the same age.

I like Delhomme a lot, but he is not as good a QB as Brees no matter how you want to dice it. Delhomme's first decent season started when he was 29 - Brees is just turning 29 this year.

?

Can you clarify/explain/expound on that?

Replace the word Brees with the word Vick.

Vick made his TE good. But Delhomme had the best WR in the league with more talent around him. And Delhomme has not been as reliable with the ambulance as has Vick.

Replace the word Brees with the word Vick.

Vick made his TE good. But Delhomme had the best WR in the league with more talent around him. And Delhomme has not been as reliable with the ambulance as has Vick.

Vick had a very good TE.....and probably made him worse than what he really was..