[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones

Randall

I'm not ready to call KJ a bum just yet, even though some of you don't want him to play for your team. If he can break a 200 yard game playing for the Lions, I'd like to see what he could do on a team such as the Broncos. Of course he will need to be healthy, but he isn't a broken down has been just yet.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that there's smoke. Maybe the steak's just burning (sacrilege!), but are you going to ignore the smoke?

What's everyone's opinion on how many games he gets suspended? I say four, even if he plead's it down in the legal system.

Now, if you believe he's not going to get suspended, okay.

He is not going to get suspended. Even if there was a out side shot of him getting suspended...Fred Jackson did a hell of job filling in for him last year in the three games he was hurt. Signing Jones would be way to expensive for a 4 game replacement.

I agree that would be very expensive.

I guess the bottomline is... are the Bills a playoff team with Jackson and KJ? If they are, then they need to consider KJ.

The civil suit is moving forward now that the criminal aspect is nearly done. Suppose the civil investigation finds enough evidence to prove it was a DUI hit-and-run, instead of the criminal plea deal.

Does Goodell suspend ML? Four, eight, season?

Yes, civil ain't criminal, but Goodell isn't a criminal court either and can lay the smackdown as he's done with many others.

Obviously, the civil case has to develop, but if the Bills are playoff-bound with FJ and KJ, should they drop the money on an insurance policy since they've been in the toilet for so long?

I really think your over thinking this. As I said above the eagles would need KJ more than the Bills would. The Bills have there Probowl Left Tackle in Peters, there #1 receiver in Evans, and there best linbacker in Crowell to resign. I really do not think they have the money to sign KJ.

It's like saying if the Eagles lost Westbrook (which will happen) they would be lost. I'm sure his back ups are not any better than Lynch's.

:wacko:

and yes, with the recent trade to grab Booker, their backups are defiinitely better than Buffalo's.

BTW, what makes you think KJ will be an expensive player to sign? There isn't a line at his door (regardless of the propoganda his agent might be spewing), and i would guess any contract offered to him would be a small base salary with performance incentives.

I doubt anyone would have to pay that much more for him than they would for the young studs you mention, unless KJ makes a major impact (in which case, he was worth it).

and yes, with the recent trade to grab Booker, their backups are defiinitely better than Buffalo's.

BTW, what makes you think KJ will be an expensive player to sign? There isn't a line at his door (regardless of the propoganda his agent might be spewing), and i would guess any contract offered to him would be a small base salary with performance incentives.

I doubt anyone would have to pay that much more for him than they would for the young studs you mention, unless KJ makes a major impact (in which case, he was worth it).

There is no doubt Philly has depth. It was just a example I used. If they lost Westbrook who would be the main guy? But just like Buffalo's guys they have a lot to prove in the NFL.

And what if KJ get's hurt in the first practice? Life is filled with if's and but's.

Edited by __HAUSE__

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Former first-round pick Jones works out for NFL teams

Associated Press

Kevin Jones went through a workout Saturday while four NFL teams watched the running back sprint and cut just five months after he had major knee surgery.

Dr. D.S. Ping, who has been helping Jones rehabilitate his right knee, said Miami, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Detroit sent representatives to the workout in Saline, Mich.

The Lions cut their former first-round pick in March with one year left on his contract after he hurt the knee late last season, adding to the injury woes that have stunted his success in the league.

The Cleveland Browns also called, Ping said, and asked for a video of the workout.

Jones did a shuttle run on wet grass in 4.3 seconds, ran around cones and caught passes.

"All the teams basically said they were amazed by what Kevin can do," Ping said.

Jones missed the first two games last season recovering from a foot injury that also sidelined him for the last three games of 2006. He ran for at least 70 yards in five games, including a season-high 105, before hurting his knee Dec. 23 against the Chiefs.

A few months later, the Lions released him. The franchise was interested enough, though, to send director of pro personnel Sheldon White about 45 minutes west of Detroit to witness the workout.

"Sheldon said what impressed him was Kevin's burst after standing still," Ping recalled. "He also liked how Kevin picked himself up and finished a drill when he slipped on the grass that was really slick because of a lot of rain."

Ron Hughes, the Steelers' college scouting coordinator, was also impressed.

"Ron told me he thought Kevin ran really well," Ping said.

Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery on Jones' right knee in January and told him it would take up to 10 months to get back on the field. Jones, though, expects to go through non-contact drills during training camp with the team that signs him.

"I honestly feel like I'm ready to play right now," Jones insisted earlier this month.

Jones has said several other teams have also shown interest. He's vying for a job along with free agent running backs such as Shaun Alexander, Chris Henry, Ron Dayne and Cedric Benson.

He ran for 3,000-plus yards in four seasons in Detroit, including 1,133 yards as a rookie in 2004.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3465537

Edited by Randall

Dr. D.S. Ping, who has been helping Jones rehabilitate his right knee, said Miami, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Detroit sent representatives to the workout in Saline, Mich.

Interesting group. Pitt seems pretty set at RB. MIA could be a fit if Brown is not ready and Ricky will always be a ???. GB seems odd to me as well but maybe they don't like what they have behind Grant. Det would still be a good fit. Cleveland wouldn't be a bad spot for him either since they have Lewis for now and would allow him to get healthy.

Interesting group. Pitt seems pretty set at RB. MIA could be a fit if Brown is not ready and Ricky will always be a ???. GB seems odd to me as well but maybe they don't like what they have behind Grant. Det would still be a good fit. Cleveland wouldn't be a bad spot for him either since they have Lewis for now and would allow him to get healthy.

Word is Brandon Jackson has improved but I don't like what they have behind Grant. They like giving 5-10 touches to another back and KJ would be vast improvement as a 2nd back. I agree Cleveland would be good too. KJ may be good behind a good offensive line.

What about a backup to Westbrook?

Edited by Randall

It really pisses me off that the Bears aren't keeping their eyes on him. This is a guy that has proven himself when healthy and can be had fairly cheap.

They aren't interested it seems.

Kevin Jones offers his services to Bears

Ex-Lions RB thinks he would help

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter

11:12 PM CDT, June 11, 2008

Shortly after the Detroit Lions released him in March, Kevin Jones made a phone call to Tommie Harris—a former rival on the field but a close friend off it dating back to their high school all-star days.

"He was surprised, just as a lot of people around the league were surprised," Jones, a free-agent running back, said Wednesday night. "I told him I'd love to come out there and that he needed to holler at one of the coaches for me. Tommie said, 'Yeah, I'll talk to them.' "

The Bears might not need Harris' prodding to make a move on Jones. His agent, Blake Baratz, called the Bears shortly after Cedric Benson was arrested for the second time in five weeks. Benson was released Monday, leaving the starting job in the hands of rookie Matt Forte.

Jones might not be bad insurance.

---

The lions sent a rep too

A few months later, the Lions released him. The franchise was interested enough, though, to send director of pro personnel Sheldon White about 45 minutes west of Detroit to witness the workout.

"Sheldon said what impressed him was Kevin's burst after standing still," Ping recalled. "He also liked how Kevin picked himself up and finished a drill when he slipped on the grass that was really slick because of a lot of rain."

Edited by Randall

Word is Brandon Jackson has improved but I don't like what they have behind Grant. They like giving 5-10 touches to another back and KJ would be vast improvement as a 2nd back. I agree Cleveland would be good too. KJ may be good behind a good offensive line.

I'd love to have Kevin Jones as the no.2 in Green Bay. The guy can be a beast in a 3rd down back role.

• 3 weeks later...
Jones will sign with either Pittsburgh or Chicago on Tuesday, according to agent Tony Fleming, who said that late Monday evening.

Previously, Fleming said five teams including Tampa Bay were interested in Jones, but despited a published report last week stating Jones was going to visit Tampa Bay this week, he said it was untrue.

I have to disagree. Lendale White is not a featured back, even if healthy. He always had Reggie Bush as the lightning to his thunder. They need Chris Johnson, who I think you are selling way short. And uh... :wacko: ... Chris Johnson wasn't good in college? Are you sure? In his freshman season, he had 32 receptions and carried the ball 134 times. Followed that up with an alright sophomore campaign where he caught 35 balls and ran it 176 times. Had an injury-marred junior season, but had a monster senior season: 1,423 yards rushing, 528 receiving (37 catches), and 23 total TDs. Not good in college? :D

I will agree that the Johnson pick was a little bit of a head-scratcher. But I guess they're just going to give up on Henry.

I was thinking it would be a situation - with Norm Chow still at the helm - with White/Johnson being the new thunder/lightning combo. I just don't see how Jones fits in. Their situation last year with White/Brown/Henry all getting carries was a mess. I was hoping they'd clean things up, but maybe they will go at it how you suggested. I think it'd be a mistake.

I thaught Tennessee fired Norm Chow....?

I thaught Tennessee fired Norm Chow....?

You're right. It's weird, I did a Google search before my initial post and his name still came up as their OC... but now clicking on the page reveals a blank page. :wacko: Forgot that he came back west to OC at UCLA.

Still, I could see a White/Johnson combo, especially since Johnson is apparently impressing in OTAs, etc. We shall see.

I'm really shocked that Pittsburgh is listed as a strong possibility. If it is cheap, I have no problem with them taking a chance on him. The guy does have talent. However, with Parker, Mendenhall, & Mewelde Moore already on-board, it is curious that they are showing such a strong interest in Jones. Maybe they are hoping to develop some trade bait that could help solidify their offensive line ??? :wacko:

add da bears to the mix ...

News Articles > Kevin Jones Published Tue Jul 15 12:11:10 p.m. ET 2008

(RotoWire) Update: Jones will take a physical and visit Halas Hall on Tuesday, the Chicago Tribune reports. Analysis: It's no secret the Bears could use another option for their running game, and Jones has said all along he thinks he's a good fit in Chicago. As long as the Bears are comfortable with what they see out of his surgically-repaired knee, a deal could come together rather quickly.

In addition, don't most rookies have a hard time surviving their first entire NFL season? If KJ "steals" some carries from him, won't he be better off in the second half of the year?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Jones get in the neighborhood of 125 carries this coming season (unless he were to win the starting job, that is).