[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall in risk of getting suspended

tazinib1

Brandon Marshall was reportedly arrested on March 6 on a misdemeanor battery charge in Atlanta. No charges have been filed.

The team and league were reportedly aware of the incident, but it's uncertain for how long. Since this is Marshall's third arrest and second involving domestic violence, he risks getting suspended. Marshall's lawyer calls the situation a "shakedown" although Marshall reportedly left his former longtime girlfriend with "visible marks above the eye and a laceration on her top and bottom lip." Marshall was expected to be ready for training camp after March surgery to repair nerve damage in his arm.

Source: Denver Post

OUCH!! I wasn't aware of this. I've been extremely high on Marshall. Since no charges were filed, hopefully he is ordered Anger Management in lieu of a suspension.

Brandon Marshall was reportedly arrested on March 6 on a misdemeanor battery charge in Atlanta. No charges have been filed.

The team and league were reportedly aware of the incident, but it's uncertain for how long. Since this is Marshall's third arrest and second involving domestic violence, he risks getting suspended. Marshall's lawyer calls the situation a "shakedown" although Marshall reportedly left his former longtime girlfriend with "visible marks above the eye and a laceration on her top and bottom lip." Marshall was expected to be ready for training camp after March surgery to repair nerve damage in his arm.

Source: Denver Post

OUCH!! I wasn't aware of this. I've been extremely high on Marshall. Since no charges were filed, hopefully he is ordered Anger Management in lieu of a suspension.

I've alternated being high and him and predicting he will do a Philly TO on them.

No, because that would only be more proof that all the other 30 teams get punished, just not the cowboys and the Patsies. :wacko:

You're right. If it proves he is guilty the Pats and Cowboys should forfeit 1 game apiece. :D

Brandon Marshall will be suspended "at least" one or two games if he is convicted of drunk driving in September, according to ESPN's Bill Williamson.

This is before considering what may come of his March arrest for battery. The DUI trial is set for September 16. The Broncos open on September 8 and play Week 2 on September 14. It's now abundantly clear why Denver signed so many wideouts in the offseason. Marshall will be a high-risk fantasy pick.

Source: Hashmarks Blog

I HOPE he gets suspended and realizes there are consequences for his stupidity. If he can mature quickly enough, he'll be a dominant force and Cutler can get him the ball ATAP or AOTAOP.

If watching a friend get shot didn't mature his ass, I don't think his 2nd arrest this offseason will be the magic lightswitch.

At this point, he needs to watch "I've Wasted My Life: The Koren Robinson Story" on Lifetime Movie Network and get a 24/7 chaperone for himself.

LINK

Broncos' Marshall says he's victim of 'shakedown'

Domestic dispute incident is third arrest in a year

By Lee Rasizer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall on Wednesday called his third arrest within a year the result of a "shakedown" attempt by his ex-girlfriend and supplied a letter he said proves she was trying to extort money from him.

Marshall was arrested in Fulton County, Ga., March 6 for investigation of misdemeanor battery after his longtime partner, Rasheeda Watley, accused him of "striking her in the mouth and left eye," leaving "visible marks above the eye and a laceration on her top and bottom lip," according to court records.

Marshall was released March 7 on $1,000 cash bond after a night in jail.

The news became public Wednesday, and with Marshall facing his third arrest within a year and possible NFL sanctions, he opted to come out publicly in his defense.

"Basically, what it was is I had just gotten into town and the relationship was basically over," said Marshall, who owns a home in the Atlanta area. "I told her it was time to end it now, and she didn't like that. We've been dating off and on since the eighth grade, and she said, 'I'm going to ruin you.' The only thing I did was try to get out of the house."

History of public spats

Harvey Steinberg, Marshall's Denver-based attorney, noted Wednesday that based on testimony from Watley at a hearing on the matter in May, the girlfriend admitted to "striking Brandon in the eye" during their latest spat.

The March incident "didn't happen," Steinberg said. "And her assertion that she was beaten and attacked are unfounded and untrue."

Watley and Marshall have a history of public spats. They previously were linked to a domestic violence incident in Highlands Ranch in March 2007 in which charges eventually were dropped. Two other times Florida police were called because of loud arguments between the pair, but no charges were filed.

"If you look at Brandon Marshall's history, almost all - except the DUI - are about her," Marshall said, referring to his drunken driving case in Denver that is set for trial Sept. 16. "That's been my biggest problem is that I just ignored it. I thought we could work it out. . . . Now, looking back on it, I can laugh about why I stayed in that relationship. I mean, it was ridiculous."

Letters and e-mails

The difficulties in the relationship are underscored by a string of letters and e-mails obtained by the Rocky Mountain News that were sent to Marshall's lawyer over a 13-month period from Watley's former attorney while Marshall and Watley continued their relationship.

On June 17, 2006, an incident report was filed with the sheriff's office in Orange County, Fla., where Marshall has family. Police described a "verbally abusive" Watley getting physical with Marshall and family members and damaging property. Police reported a bare-chested Marshall with "numerous scratch marks," but he declined to press charges.

Six weeks later, lawyer Brendan R. O'Marra wrote Marshall, informing him that Watley had retained him regarding the incident to seek damages for "mental and physical injuries" incurred while trying to leave the apartment and requesting $500,000 within 30 days. The letter cautioned Marshall that "outrageous and intentional criminal conduct such as this will not bode well if you were to be brought into a state or federal court of law."

More than a year later, in an e-mail to Steinberg, O'Marra maintained that Marshall had offered to put Watley up in a furnished apartment for a year, get her a car comparable to her former BMW 645 and put $30,000 in her checking account, and that a settlement of $150,000 would be accepted. Five days later, that figure had shrunk to $100,000.

"It's a shakedown," Steinberg said. "And when we refused to pay money, this is the result."

Marshall agreed.

"Absolutely," he said. "You read the demand letters, 'Give me a BMW, furniture, what I'm used to, cash?' Come on."

'Buying out of trouble'

Watley no longer is represented by O'Marra. She is currently being represented by attorneys Mark Issa and David McGill.

"Nothing from our office . . . demands any money," Issa said, adding that Watley hired his firm because of dissatisfaction with previous counsel.

"As far as I'm concerned, that's not water we're willing to tread in any kind of way. We just want to make sure Ms. Watley is protected at the end of this whole thing."

Steinberg countered that while previous representation was responsible for the monetary demands, Watley testified in a May hearing requesting a restraining order against Marshall that she was aware of the prior letters and e-mails seeking compensation.

As far as shakedown accusations, Issa said, "That's usually their way of buying out of trouble, isn't it?"

The current case is in the hands of the Fulton County solicitor general, who has yet to determine whether to proceed with formal battery charges. The NFL's senior vice president of public relations, Greg Aiello, confirmed that the league is also investigating.

"Brandon's never been convicted of any domestic violence charge," Steinberg said. "And the only time he was formally charged, it was ultimately dismissed. And we believe it was dismissed after a full-blown investigation."

Well that definitely puts a new spin on things.

Funny how that works when both sides get a chance to air their version of the story.

Marshall still has issues that need to be resolved. No question about that. But this? It could be simply a case of gold digging by a scorned GF. I find the letters & e-mails released to the RMN along with the previous attempt to secure money by his ex-GF as well as her documented assaults on him to be enhance the credibility of Marshall's side of the story.

Been there.

Hitting a woman is wrong, but some sure do push buttons really well.

Let's understand this - Marshall is claiming that he never hit her in march, not that he hit her because she incited it.

I don't know which version is true, his or hers (or more probably something between both), but Marshall's claim is that her charge of assault in March is completely contrived in an attempt to extract some vengeance for not giving her money & cars and/or as part of a blackmail scheme.

Funny how that works when both sides get a chance to air their version of the story.

Marshall still has issues that need to be resolved. No question about that. But this? It could be simply a case of gold digging by a scorned GF. I find the letters & e-mails released to the RMN along with the previous attempt to secure money by his ex-GF as well as her documented assaults on him to be enhance the credibility of Marshall's side of the story.

You are judged by the actions of the people you associate with.

Personally, I've never had a girlfriend for 5 years who picks violent fights and threatens me with lawsuits. Maybe I'm just picky.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall on Wednesday called his third arrest within a year the result of a "shakedown" attempt by his ex-girlfriend and supplied a letter he said proves she was trying to extort money from him.

Maybe he thought one of her spies was hiding inside his TV.