[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There is a batch of homebrew....

rhippens

...in my basement right now! I'm pretty excited about it. Mrs. and I got a batch going last Sunday and it really fermented this week. I'm going to transfer it to a secondary tonight or tomorrow to get rid of some of the waste. Actually, she was quite upset when I told her it would be a few weeks before popping any open. We're doing an Amber Ale right now and have been looking around at other recipes already. She really interested in doing some cider, so we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Oh, anyone have any beer or wine bottles they don't want?

...in my basement right now! I'm pretty excited about it. Mrs. and I got a batch going last Sunday and it really fermented this week. I'm going to transfer it to a secondary tonight or tomorrow to get rid of some of the waste. Actually, she was quite upset when I told her it would be a few weeks before popping any open. We're doing an Amber Ale right now and have been looking around at other recipes already. She really interested in doing some cider, so we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I have some excellent recipies if you're interested including a homebrew recipe of Victory Hop Devil that the folks at Victory were kind enough to convert for us.

I have some excellent recipies if you're interested including a homebrew recipe of Victory Hop Devil that the folks at Victory were kind enough to convert for us.

as someone just starting this up, i'd love any solid recipes you want to pass along. thank you!

..awesome they did that for you too!

Awesome....I have a Kolsch fermenting between 46-50 degrees right now. I brewed a 10-gallon batch of a super hoppy pale ale with about 15% Rye to base malt in it....Had friends over 2 weekends in a row and it went fast.....

Screw bottles

If you keep getting interested in it I would make 2 suggestions that will greatly enhance your experience in this hobby..:

1)buy a kegging system...nothing sucks more than filling up 5-gallons of homebrew into bottles.

2)make the investment in equipment to move into an all-grain set-up...I found my myself getting bored with malt extract brewing pretty fast.

Edited by bushwacked

Awesome....I have a Kolsch fermenting between 46-50 degrees right now. I brewed a 10-gallon batch of a super hoppy pale ale with about 15% Rye to base malt in it....Had friends over 2 weekends in a row and it went fast.....

Screw bottles

If you keep getting interested in it I would make 2 suggestions that will greatly enhance your experience in this hobby..:

1)buy a kegging system...nothing sucks more than filling up 5-gallons of homebrew into bottles.

2)make the investment in equipment to move into an all-grain set-up...I found my myself getting bored with malt extract brewing pretty fast.

I agree completely with those two suggestions.

• 2 years later...
Google SkeeterPee for homemade hard lemonade. I have 5 gallons right now ready to be kegged up. Also need to keg my watermelon wheat.

Homebrewing is fun, but it takes over as a hobby

Can you post the recipe for the Watermelon Wheat?

Doing an all grain group brew this Saturday with local home brew club. A group of 10 or so making 10 gallons each of imperial stout to be commingled and secondary fermented in a whiskey barrel.

We will be brewing right by the ocean with a beautiful view of the San Juan Islands. Can't wait.

Doing an all grain group brew this Saturday with local home brew club. A group of 10 or so making 10 gallons each of imperial stout to be commingled and secondary fermented in a whiskey barrel.

We will be brewing right by the ocean with a beautiful view of the San Juan Islands. Can't wait.

Nice, never really got into the group brew scene myself

Nice, never really got into the group brew scene myself

Yesterday was national homebrew day, first time I've done a group brew myself. The imperial Russian stout was a huge beer. My 10 gallon batch used 42 pounds of base + 6 pound of specialty for a grain bill. 1.114 OG :wacko:

Kind of a pain to get all our equipment including about 150 gallons of filtered water for the group. I offered quite a bit of help to my neighbor down the street who organized the whole thing. But I'd do it again, brewing by the ocean, BBQn burgers, sipping on delicious beers with an ocean view of about a dozen + islands was rather cool. Fun day as everyone was helping each other out.

The stout will ferment in carboys for a 2 weeks or so and then into the group whiskey barrel. Should be a very unique beer.

Edited by bushwacked

• 4 weeks later...
Can you post the recipe for the Watermelon Wheat?

Mine was about

51% 2 row

47% Wheat

2% Cara Pils

Willamette Hops for 15 or so IBU's at 60 mins.

WLP American Hefe yeast #320

and now for the tricky part, the watermelon. Word on the street was that 21st Amendment uses 1.06 pounds of watermelon per gallon of beer. Not sure of how they infused the melon into the wort, i just cut it up and put it in for the last 10 mins of the boil. On homebrew boards people are putting the fruit in a blender and adding during secondary, which i would do IF i were to brew this again. I didn't get a lot of watermelon flavor so the beer was actually kind of strange. It wanted to be watermelon, just not enough.

is there a home brew topic around??

Mine was about

51% 2 row

47% Wheat

2% Cara Pils

Willamette Hops for 15 or so IBU's at 60 mins.

WLP American Hefe yeast #320

and now for the tricky part, the watermelon. Word on the street was that 21st Amendment uses 1.06 pounds of watermelon per gallon of beer. Not sure of how they infused the melon into the wort, i just cut it up and put it in for the last 10 mins of the boil. On homebrew boards people are putting the fruit in a blender and adding during secondary, which i would do IF i were to brew this again. I didn't get a lot of watermelon flavor so the beer was actually kind of strange. It wanted to be watermelon, just not enough.

is there a home brew topic around??

Not much of a wheat beer nor a fruit beer fan myself. I do like 21st black IPA quite a bit.

I remember being in San Fran one time for work when the brewer at 21st Amendment was being interviewed on the radio. Someone asked about trying to homebrew this recipe and getting the appropriate watermelon flavor. While he didn't come out an say it, he basically hinted strongly enough that the melon was indeed added after primary fermentation. I wouldn't think fermented fruit sugars would generally be all that palatable.

Not much of a wheat beer nor a fruit beer fan myself. I do like 21st black IPA quite a bit.

I remember being in San Fran one time for work when the brewer at 21st Amendment was being interviewed on the radio. Someone asked about trying to homebrew this recipe and getting the appropriate watermelon flavor. While he didn't come out an say it, he basically hinted strongly enough that the melon was indeed added after primary fermentation. I wouldn't think fermented fruit sugars would generally be all that palatable.

Not a fan of the beer, so I took the 4 gallons (out of 5) out of the keg, and now I am souring it. Also my old homebrew club did an English Barleywine and aged it in an oak barrel from Firestone Walker, Great beer, but at 3 years old it picked up a bit of brett infection. 3 gallons (out of 10) left, so I took that out as well and will be adding in Wyeast Brett Lambicus, along with a starter made from Russian River oak chips. Should make for an interesting beer to say the least.

I have entered in 3 competitions so far. The Barleywine took BoS in one, and my Kriek Lambic came in second. At another competition the beers reversed places. The last comp, Mayor Fo Life (a lambic made with Marion Berries) came in second.

I have entered in 3 competitions so far. The Barleywine took BoS in one, and my Kriek Lambic came in second. At another competition the beers reversed places. The last comp, Mayor Fo Life (a lambic made with Marion Berries) came in second.

Nice, those aren't run to the mill beers to make. Brewing with neighbor down the street on Saturday, 10 gallons of a german style pilsener and 10 gallons of a belgian stout.

Nice, those aren't run to the mill beers to make. Brewing with neighbor down the street on Saturday, 10 gallons of a german style pilsener and 10 gallons of a belgian stout.

you are correct, patience is the key. it takes about 3 years for the lambics to really hit their stride. damn tasty though...

Brewing up an All Brett (brett Anomalus) Amarillo Pale Ale.

10 pounds of Marris Otter

.50 pound of Cara pils

6 ounces of Amarillo thrown in with 10 mins left

fermented out with 100% brettanomyces Anomalus. should get some decent fruity flavors out of it...

Brewing up an All Brett (brett Anomalus) Amarillo Pale Ale.

10 pounds of Marris Otter

.50 pound of Cara pils

6 ounces of Amarillo thrown in with 10 mins left

fermented out with 100% brettanomyces Anomalus. should get some decent fruity flavors out of it...

nice, what yeast? i have been a bit disappointed in the cali yeasts lately (beer tastes thin) and have been brewing with the british yeasts more (maltier taste)

nice, what yeast? i have been a bit disappointed in the cali yeasts lately (beer tastes thin) and have been brewing with the british yeasts more (maltier taste)

I am using Brettanomyces Anolmalus. It is an old English strain that was found in the casks of beer. It is no longer available I just got lucky when someone handed off a pint jar of it to me.

Brett strains of yeasts are thought of as spoiling agents, souring agents, but this strain is quite muted. It throws off some nice spicy notes in the nose, and has a flavour that reminds me of pineapple, dried apricots. Matched up with the large amount of Amarillo hops thrown in at 10 mins left this will be one incredible beer.

brett strains are used to make lambics as well. at least one part...

• 3 months later...

Spent most of the day (took a break to watch the son play soccer) brewing dubbel, oatmeal stout, and schwartzbier for another co-op brew session with the neighbors. 10 gallons of each. It's nice having all the equipment and labor to knock out so much beer in one setting. Fun, day and the 10 gallons of oatmeal stout in my pantry is already fermenting away nicely as I used the local breweries ale yeast in a well oxygenated batch.