[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Index

MikesVikes

For the first time, I ordered this instead of checking the magazine rack every week.

They're high on SJax (#2), MJD (#7) and down on Portis (#13), LJ (#14), and Maroney (16). QBs Brees, Romo, and Cutler go 3,4,5. :wacko:

Cutler is too high; otherwise, I'm stilll checking the rack each time I go to Albertsons.

I agree about Cutler being too high. #5?? :wacko: I can't wait to read their reasoning for ranking him there. I'd also move Portis up higher and Maroney way lower, but those are two guys that a lot of people are going to disagree about, so I won't quibble with them too much about those picks.

I also get the footballguys mag because I play against many that write for it in a league. I read it on a bus ride home last night, but now I'll continue reading the Fantasy Index again.

Edited by MikesVikes

If people think Cutler is too highly rated, I'd offer this rebuttal:

He ranked 10th in passing yds, 9th in ypa, 10th in completions, 12th in QB rating, and 13th in completion percentage in what was not only his first full year as a starter, but in a year when he was performing with a then undiagnosed diabetes condition. Then if you check history, you'll see that QBs in their 3rd year under Shanahan seem to make a quantum leap and move way up the charts statistically.

While it may seem farfetched under immediate scutiny, there is some logic behind that #5 ranking for Cutler.

He ranked 10th in passing yds, 9th in ypa, 10th in completions, 12th in QB rating, and 13th in completion percentage in what was not only his first full year as a starter, but in a year when he was performing with a then undiagnosed diabetes condition. Then if you check history, you'll see that QBs in their 3rd year under Shanahan seem to make a quantum leap and move way up the charts statistically.

While it may seem farfetched under immediate scutiny, there is some logic behind that #5 ranking for Cutler.

Well I have to give them props for predicting the same for Daunte Culpepper after only watching him play for a few snaps the year before.

All valid pts, but having Cutler ranked ahead of Palmer is ludicrous. Palmer has better talent around him and a defense that will inevitably keep him passing.

Cutler is definitely too high, especially with Brandon Marshall in such trouble but I gotta say:

After the top 4 QBs its hard to be especially high on any of the other QBs. They all have a lot of potential downside.

And to defend FFI, even though they have him ranked as the #5 QB, they don't suggest taking him there.

They suggest waiting until about 9 QBs are gone and then grabbing him.

I'm not necessarily against the Cutler thing. Some QB is going to blow our socks off and overperform. The kid has the moxie to do it. Also, Palmer is regressing. He doesn't look as comfortable and doesn't throw with as much conviction. I don't necessarily agree with putting Cutler ahead of him, but stranger things have definitely happened. As for the fantasy mags.....if you use them for anything more than a checklist, I want you in my league.

Just got it since the Sporting news looks so bad this year.

Love the add on pp.59

that used to be my FAVORITE fantasy magazine back in the day. They have gone so commercialized in there analysis, its not even worth reading anymore. Too bad really cause there content was off the charts at there peak.

I like to save back issues as well. I always make sure to bring 2 or 3 back issues to every draft with me. It always seems that at least ONE guy in the league shows up looking to peek over someone's shoulder. That is my draft pet peeve, (an unprepared participant. So if they want to borrow a mag, they can, but it's 3 years old :wacko:

I've saved every one since 96 or so, it's great to go back and read who was hot, who was not and who defied expectations and ended up a bust.

Is it just me, or doesn't it seem more worthwhile to ask the local experts here than to buy a magazine written by people who have only seen each team play maybe a couple of times? I have always been amazed at how little some of these authors know about the culture of a team and the trends going on with that team. I admittedly always buy a mag, but I tear off the best looking cheatsheet and simply use it as my draft-day checklist. Reading anything past that only makes me dumber, which some will testify is the last thing I need. Watch football with an open mind and do your own research. This is the one and only way to obtain true sports knowledge. I feel a lot more confident with opinions based on things that I have seen with my own eyes than anything written by someone who has never put on a helmet in their life.

Is it just me, or doesn't it seem more worthwhile to ask the local experts here than to buy a magazine written by people who have only seen each team play maybe a couple of times? I have always been amazed at how little some of these authors know about the culture of a team and the trends going on with that team. I admittedly always buy a mag, but I tear off the best looking cheatsheet and simply use it as my draft-day checklist. Reading anything past that only makes me dumber, which some will testify is the last thing I need. Watch football with an open mind and do your own research. This is the one and only way to obtain true sports knowledge. I feel a lot more confident with opinions based on things that I have seen with my own eyes than anything written by someone who has never put on a helmet in their life.

I only get a mag because I can't see the computer monitor from my bathroom :wacko:

I feel a lot more confident with opinions based on things that I have seen with my own eyes than anything written by someone who has never put on a helmet in their life.

...so what is the football resume of everyone who writes for The Huddle? Didn't I see DMD as the backup Raiders kicker in the early 70's?

Is it just me, or doesn't it seem more worthwhile to ask the local experts here than to buy a magazine written by people who have only seen each team play maybe a couple of times?

Yeah, but inviting all the guys in to the bathroom gets a little crowded, and I've vowed that I won't become enough of a degenerate to take a laptop in when I drop the kids off at the pool.

A rag or two makes for some good evening relaxing on the back deck. Add a cigar, a beer, and a good sunset and even the crappiest day gets washed away.