[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1st year doing IDP

I have gotten a ton of great feedback via PM and email from people on this article:

http://www.thehuddle.com/x7/articles/sg-070822-df-scheme.php

Clubby if you have any questions feel free to just ask or shoot me a PM

fyi: a bit of the info is dated (who plays what D and who is a best bet) but for the most part the meat of the article should help

you out.

also, later I can post a few startup drafts for you if you think that will help too.

Edited by keggerz

I have gotten a ton of great feedback via PM and email from people on this article:

http://www.thehuddle.com/x7/articles/sg-070822-df-scheme.php

Clubby if you have any questions feel free to just ask or shoot me a PM

fyi: a bit of the info is dated (who plays what D and who is a best bet) but for the most part the meat of the article should help

you out.

also, later I can post a few startup drafts for you if you think that will help too.

:wacko:

I cooking breakfast right now but printed it out. Should have pancake batter all over it shortly.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Is this a "fairly" standard scoring system?

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 2 points each

Forced Fumbles 2 points each

Interceptions Caught 2 points each

Passes Defensed 1.5 points each

Blocked Field Goals 3 points each

Blocked Punts 2 points each

Tackles 2 points each

Assists 1 point each

Sacked a QB 2 points each

Safeties 2 points each

I've read the articles. Football got me into fantasy football so I think I know what players I like at what positions and so on. So here's the rub, 16 team league and I've got the #3 pick. I don't want to start jumping into the middle of any runs this being my first attempt, I'd rather get the defensive players I like and I don't mind taking them a little early if that's what the #3 pick requires me to do.

What round would you expect to see defensive players starting to go off the board in a 16 team league?

Thanks in advance.

Is this a "fairly" standard scoring system?

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 2 points each

Forced Fumbles 2 points each

Interceptions Caught 2 points each

Passes Defensed 1.5 points each

Blocked Field Goals 3 points each

Blocked Punts 2 points each

Tackles 2 points each

Assists 1 point each

Sacked a QB 2 points each

Safeties 2 points each

I've read the articles. Football got me into fantasy football so I think I know what players I like at what positions and so on. So here's the rub, 16 team league and I've got the #3 pick. I don't want to start jumping into the middle of any runs this being my first attempt, I'd rather get the defensive players I like and I don't mind taking them a little early if that's what the #3 pick requires me to do.

What round would you expect to see defensive players starting to go off the board in a 16 team league?

Thanks in advance.

that is pretty much fusion scoring to a t(without looking).....and fusion scoring is considered tackle heavy....safely, you can expect to see the LBs start to go at some point in the 3rd round....someone might even get an itchy trigger finger in the 2nd....dont be that guy... but being NEW to IDP I wouldnt expect you to mine your D late either.....if you have any questions just let me know

here is the link to fusion and top performers: http://football30.myfantasyleague.com/2008...ints&TEAM=*

Edited by keggerz

Patrick Willis will be snatched up in the 3rd of a 16 man league.

AOTAOP he finished 7th in scoring and was drafted 1.10. It is a no RB required league though.

I saw him drafted before Lynch and at 1.04 last year in a rookie draft(normal league).

He's special though. He has the speed to stay with WR's.

Edited by Randall

AOTAOP he finished 7th in scoring and was drafted 1.10. It is a no RB required league though.

I saw him drafted before Lynch and at 1.04 last year in a rookie draft(normal league).

He's special though. He has the speed to stay with WR's.

Terrible examples

The first league is a dynasty with no RBs required

The 2nd was a Panther Dave foolish pick (and his team was loaded at RB).

Still 1st LB off the board in a redraft and it would be hard not to do it late in the2nd but I with BB. Wait till the 3rd

Even if you don't land Willis, Demeco Ryans is still very good, IMO. Willis is the top LB, but Ryans is pretty close.

Jeeeez. . .tell EVERYONE why don'tcha???

:wacko:

(if you couldn't figure it out, I'm in club's league)

I'm with BB. Wait till the 3rd

Yeeeah...well, looks like BB did not follow that advice...!

I know he is not the one who said to wait till the third, but still could not resist. 2nd round of ATAP. Just about made me cry...

Yeeeah...well, looks like BB did not follow that advice...!

I know he is not the one who said to wait till the third, but still could not resist. 2nd round of ATAP. Just about made me cry...

He's talking redraft not dynasty

• 2 weeks later...

Not an article but here's some thoughts from a guy who's been in an IDP league for the last 8 years (we're allowed 1 D Keeper but basically it's a redraft league). These aren't hard and fast rules, these are just things I look to do with my team based on observations of mine and other managers in my leagues behaviour over that time.

1. Never draft more D players than you need for week 1. I'll always take a flyer on a handcuff type RB or a WR who might step up to the big time instead of drafting extra D players. Bye weeks don't come in til week 4. Barring injury or benching I tend to stick with my chose 6 IDP guys until then.

2. Never be the first to pick a D guy. If I weren't in a league with 1 keeper I might reconsider this rule because Patrick Willis is that good but he'll never be available in my league. In my experience the first guy to get picked goes way earlier than I was thinking D anyway. The earliest guy to pick D seems to look in my league once he's got QB, 3RB, 2WR and 1 TE on board. There is a good case for someone like Willis, because he's so dominant in your scoring system, going after QB, 2RB and 2 WR though which would place him around that #55 mark.

3. If your league counts kick return points (mine does) do your homework on DBs who'll be returning or might be returning. Any starting DB or even a nickel guy who does a lot of returning is worth having. Terrence McGee has been the centrepiece of my D for a few years now and the top points scorer amongst all IDPs in our league since his sophomore year. They don't usually appear high on rankings because basic leagues don't seem to count returns for D guys. Beware though a guy listed as a DB who only returns kicks (like say Chris Carr) isn't the kind of guy you're looking for.

4. Look at a teams Defensive line. It's not hard and fast but there is a definite correlation, if a team has a poor D line then the safeties will make a lot of tackles. If the team has a good D Line then the LBers will make a ton of tackles. There are always exceptions to that though, some guys are just that good they'll get tackles regardless of the DL.

5. Don't get too upset if you don't get your guy and don't reach for D guys. In my experience a little under half the guys drafted in my league (not counting keepers) seem to get kicked to the free agent pile at some point in the season. There are *ALWAYS* guys who don't get drafted who'll fill in really well for you for a few weeks. Although I drafted neither, Fakhir Brown and Oshiomogho Atogwe filled in nicely for me at times last year.

6. In general LBs are preferable to DBs but some guys are exceptions. Your scoring system favours tackles over big plays (mine's the other way around) and in that system most DEs and DTs will be pretty useless. They just don't rack the tackles. The same goes for OLBs in 3-4 defenses. They probably won't get enough tackles to compete with LBs in a 4-3 front. In my league (1pt per tackle, 3 points for sacks/ints/FF/FR) guys like James Harrison can put up big numbers. In your system maybe less so.

7. Try to avoid guys with big reputations as NFL players who may not actually put up big FF numbers. Ed Reed seems to fall into this, ditto Troy Polamalu. These are great Football players but not great IDP guys. Someone in your league will probably draft these sort of guys. Chuckle to yourself and move on. On the converse side sometimes teams run at a particular LB because they see him as a weakness. You get the same number of points for a tackle made 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage as you do for one made 5 yards behind it.

8. With DBs, particularly CBs last years INT numbers will not necessarily point to continued production. It seems in the NFL a lot of the time if a guy gets 8 INTs one year some QBs will avoid throwing in his direction the following season leading not only to fewer take-aways but also fewer tackles.

9. Never, ever pick a Defensive player because you feel the need. If there is an offensive guy who you feel is a steal, always grab him instead. People seem to be all over the board with IDPs so there's a good chance your targetted IDP guy will be there at your next pick.

10. And this is probably the most important one which should guide how you draft. Outside of the top 10 D players a ton of guys all score around the same number of points. Keep that in mind. In my league last year the #12 guy scored 9 points a game (DJ Williams). The guy who scored 7 points per game was #88 (Trent Cole). 2 points per game... the difference between a top 12 IDP and a guy who won't even be a thought on anyone's radar for drafting (in a 10 team league anyway). In your scoring system the difference between #14 (Karlos Dansby) who got 15 pts/game and the guy who scored 12 points per game (Rodney Harrison) who was #72 overall.

To give you some insight we just completed our draft. These guys were D Keepers: Ernie Sims, DeMeco Ryans, Nick Barnett, David Harris, London Fletcher, James Harrison, Jared Allen, Brian Urlacher, Mario Williams and Patrick Willis. The first D guy went off the board at #68 but the next didn't come off until over a round later and there were only 4 guys drafted before pick #100. I think it's fair to assume that probably 6 of our keepers would've been off the board by then as well had they been available with a guy like WIllis or Ryans I would guess probably going around #55? We had a huge number of D guys go off the board between 100 and 130. 16 of the 30 players selected then were IDP. In addition to my keeper Jared Allen I picked my guys at #109 (Ray Lewis), #147 (Antoine Winfield), #154 (Karlos Dansby), #194 Roman Harper and #207 (Thomas Howard). It'll depend on your other managers but mine seem to fall into 2 categories. The guys who pick IDPs in groups (say 4 picks in a row) and guys who'll spread them out a bit more. I prefer to fall into the latter because it gives you some more flexibility. I went in with just 10 names of D guys I really wanted. I got 5 of my top 6 names despite not drafting them early. This sort of thing happens most years, everyone has their favourites and everyone seems to see different guys who'll step up. We're usually wrong half the time judging by the number of cuts of drafted IDPs.

I know you weren't looking for rankings but this is just to illustrate how different your scoring system is to mine by way of how many points players score. They're ranked by points per game in your league (there's a few hiccups because of guys having 1 great game then getting hurt but you'll get the gist). Number in brackets is the rank of that guy in my league's scoring system which favours sacks and turnovers more than your league and tackles a little less than yours:

1. Patrick Willis (1)

2. Zach Thomas (2)

3. Ray Lewis (5)

4. Brian Urlacher (3)

5. D.J. Williams (11)

6. London Fletcher (8)

7. Jon Beason (22)

8. Nick Barnett (14)

9. DeMeco Ryans (13)

10. Antoine Winfield (9)

11. Kirk Morrison (12)

12. Ernie Sims (23)

13. Karlos Dansby (6)

14. Gary Brackett (15)

15. David Harris (24)

16. E.J. Henderson (21)

17. David Thornton (32)

18. Gibril Wilson (26)

19. Will Witherspoon (17)

20. Michael Boley (20)

The biggest faller, highlighting what I said about DE's in your system? Jared Allen went from #7 overall in my system to #62 in yours. He's the highest ranked DE/DT under your system too. That's going to make him borderline drafted depending on how many teams you have in your league and how many IDP players you need per team. DeMarcus Ware fell from #29 for me to #88 for you. He's a 3-4 OLB. Similarly James Harrison went from #19 in my league to #40 in yours. By my quick reckoning he's the highest rated 3-4OLB in your league last year. You want to be looking squarely in the tackles made column for your D guys in my opinion.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on most of that but that's the way I do it and I've always had one of the best D's in my league.

Edited by TaffKiwi

Not an article but here's some thoughts from a guy who's been in an IDP league for the last 8 years (we're allowed 1 D Keeper but basically it's a redraft league). These aren't hard and fast rules, these are just things I look to do with my team based on observations of mine and other managers in my leagues behaviour over that time.

1. Never draft more D players than you need for week 1. I'll always take a flyer on a handcuff type RB or a WR who might step up to the big time instead of drafting extra D players. Bye weeks don't come in til week 4. Barring injury or benching I tend to stick with my chose 6 IDP guys until then.

2. Never be the first to pick a D guy. If I weren't in a league with 1 keeper I might reconsider this rule because Patrick Willis is that good but he'll never be available in my league. In my experience the first guy to get picked goes way earlier than I was thinking D anyway. The earliest guy to pick D seems to look in my league once he's got QB, 3RB, 2WR and 1 TE on board. There is a good case for someone like Willis, because he's so dominant in your scoring system, going after QB, 2RB and 2 WR though which would place him around that #55 mark.

3. If your league counts kick return points (mine does) do your homework on DBs who'll be returning or might be returning. Any starting DB or even a nickel guy who does a lot of returning is worth having. Terrence McGee has been the centrepiece of my D for a few years now and the top points scorer amongst all IDPs in our league since his sophomore year. They don't usually appear high on rankings because basic leagues don't seem to count returns for D guys. Beware though a guy listed as a DB who only returns kicks (like say Chris Carr) isn't the kind of guy you're looking for.

4. Look at a teams Defensive line. It's not hard and fast but there is a definite correlation, if a team has a poor D line then the safeties will make a lot of tackles. If the team has a good D Line then the LBers will make a ton of tackles. There are always exceptions to that though, some guys are just that good they'll get tackles regardless of the DL.

5. Don't get too upset if you don't get your guy and don't reach for D guys. In my experience a little under half the guys drafted in my league (not counting keepers) seem to get kicked to the free agent pile at some point in the season. There are *ALWAYS* guys who don't get drafted who'll fill in really well for you for a few weeks. Although I drafted neither, Fakhir Brown and Oshiomogho Atogwe filled in nicely for me at times last year.

6. In general LBs are preferable to DBs but some guys are exceptions. Your scoring system favours tackles over big plays (mine's the other way around) and in that system most DEs and DTs will be pretty useless. They just don't rack the tackles. The same goes for OLBs in 3-4 defenses. They probably won't get enough tackles to compete with LBs in a 4-3 front. In my league (1pt per tackle, 3 points for sacks/ints/FF/FR) guys like James Harrison can put up big numbers. In your system maybe less so.

7. Try to avoid guys with big reputations as NFL players who may not actually put up big FF numbers. Ed Reed seems to fall into this, ditto Troy Polamalu. These are great Football players but not great IDP guys. Someone in your league will probably draft these sort of guys. Chuckle to yourself and move on. On the converse side sometimes teams run at a particular LB because they see him as a weakness. You get the same number of points for a tackle made 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage as you do for one made 5 yards behind it.

8. With DBs, particularly CBs last years INT numbers will not necessarily point to continued production. It seems in the NFL a lot of the time if a guy gets 8 INTs one year some QBs will avoid throwing in his direction the following season leading not only to fewer take-aways but also fewer tackles.

9. Never, ever pick a Defensive player because you feel the need. If there is an offensive guy who you feel is a steal, always grab him instead. People seem to be all over the board with IDPs so there's a good chance your targetted IDP guy will be there at your next pick.

10. And this is probably the most important one which should guide how you draft. Outside of the top 10 D players a ton of guys all score around the same number of points. Keep that in mind. In my league last year the #12 guy scored 9 points a game (DJ Williams). The guy who scored 7 points per game was #88 (Trent Cole). 2 points per game... the difference between a top 12 IDP and a guy who won't even be a thought on anyone's radar for drafting (in a 10 team league anyway). In your scoring system the difference between #14 (Karlos Dansby) who got 15 pts/game and the guy who scored 12 points per game (Rodney Harrison) who was #72 overall.

To give you some insight we just completed our draft. These guys were D Keepers: Ernie Sims, DeMeco Ryans, Nick Barnett, David Harris, London Fletcher, James Harrison, Jared Allen, Brian Urlacher, Mario Williams and Patrick Willis. The first D guy went off the board at #68 but the next didn't come off until over a round later and there were only 4 guys drafted before pick #100. I think it's fair to assume that probably 6 of our keepers would've been off the board by then as well had they been available with a guy like WIllis or Ryans I would guess probably going around #55? We had a huge number of D guys go off the board between 100 and 130. 16 of the 30 players selected then were IDP. In addition to my keeper Jared Allen I picked my guys at #109 (Ray Lewis), #147 (Antoine Winfield), #154 (Karlos Dansby), #194 Roman Harper and #207 (Thomas Howard). It'll depend on your other managers but mine seem to fall into 2 categories. The guys who pick IDPs in groups (say 4 picks in a row) and guys who'll spread them out a bit more. I prefer to fall into the latter because it gives you some more flexibility. I went in with just 10 names of D guys I really wanted. I got 5 of my top 6 names despite not drafting them early. This sort of thing happens most years, everyone has their favourites and everyone seems to see different guys who'll step up. We're usually wrong half the time judging by the number of cuts of drafted IDPs.

I know you weren't looking for rankings but this is just to illustrate how different your scoring system is to mine by way of how many points players score. They're ranked by points per game in your league (there's a few hiccups because of guys having 1 great game then getting hurt but you'll get the gist). Number in brackets is the rank of that guy in my league's scoring system which favours sacks and turnovers more than your league and tackles a little less than yours:

1. Patrick Willis (1)

2. Zach Thomas (2)

3. Ray Lewis (5)

4. Brian Urlacher (3)

5. D.J. Williams (11)

6. London Fletcher (8)

7. Jon Beason (22)

8. Nick Barnett (14)

9. DeMeco Ryans (13)

10. Antoine Winfield (9)

11. Kirk Morrison (12)

12. Ernie Sims (23)

13. Karlos Dansby (6)

14. Gary Brackett (15)

15. David Harris (24)

16. E.J. Henderson (21)

17. David Thornton (32)

18. Gibril Wilson (26)

19. Will Witherspoon (17)

20. Michael Boley (20)

The biggest faller, highlighting what I said about DE's in your system? Jared Allen went from #7 overall in my system to #62 in yours. He's the highest ranked DE/DT under your system too. That's going to make him borderline drafted depending on how many teams you have in your league and how many IDP players you need per team. DeMarcus Ware fell from #29 for me to #88 for you. He's a 3-4 OLB. Similarly James Harrison went from #19 in my league to #40 in yours. By my quick reckoning he's the highest rated 3-4OLB in your league last year. You want to be looking squarely in the tackles made column for your D guys in my opinion.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on most of that but that's the way I do it and I've always had one of the best D's in my league.

first, welcome to the forum

second I have to ask how many D players you start weekly in your league.....the league that Club is talking about starts 9(i think, maybe 10 or 11 but not less then 9) D players.....and even in that scoring system because they have designations for DL, LB and DB Jared Allen is going to be drafted in all(going out on a limb) Huddle leagues which happen to be tackle heavy like this league but most start a min of 9 def players....and yeah this scoring system and the one most of the leagues here use will devalue the big play for tackles and that is why the Wares, Merrimans etc arent as highly ranked.

Here are a few of the huddle leagues that start 9 minimally of course these are also all dynasty leagues too but just to give you an idea of what we get a large % of questions about here:

http://football30.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=49395&O=07

http://football21.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=39253&O=07

http://football24.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=42868&O=07

http://football24.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=68392&O=07

http://football21.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=34161&O=07

also, fwiw the scoring that we use in our rankings and articles is a tackle heavy scoring system

2 points/tackle, 1 point/assist, 2 points/sack, 2 points/forced fumble/fumble recovery, 2 points/INT & 1.5 points/pass defended

Edited by keggerz

• 2 weeks later...