[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sunday ticket

Sam

I really can't justify spending the $250.00 this year for the ticket with just building a house and having other more important things I could be putting that $250.00 towards. I called two different reps trying to get some sort of deal. They're normally pretty good about giving you a discount if they know you are serious about canceling....they're not budging this year. So I canceled it. I miss it already.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree its expensive. But the alternative is to go to the bar every Sunday to watch my Saints. I'll easily spend $250 at a bar over the course of a season. When you look at it that way its not that bad....or even compare it to the cost of buying tickets to the game...

Yes it is expensive..... throw another 100 (Unless it has went up) for the HD/Superfan (really pisses me off that I have to pay extra for the HD) package and I'm dropping between 350-400 for the season. It seems like a lot...... but for 4 months of entertainment 100 bucks doesn't seem that much to watch any game I want (the alternative is to watch the Cards ) every Sunday. You will spend more then that going to a sports bar 4 times during the season.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

I was dropping about $30 a weekend between food and beer at the local sports bar. I've aslo gotten used to watching my Bengals in the comfort of my own home. I get pretty emotional during the game and I can just let it all hang out. I would also go into convulsions whenever someone would change the TV that had my Bengals on it. Bottom line is that it really is healthier for me, and the patrons at my local sports bar if I watch the game at home.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I used to have the NFL Sunday Ticket years ago, but dropped it when I got Panthers season tickets. Didn't make any sense to only watch 8 or 9 weeks of the games when the Panthers were away that week. I miss it, but it is more fun to be actually at one of the games in person with a friend or with one of my kids. :wacko:

It is getting expensive, which nobody likes.

I remember when I first got it, 7-8 seasons ago(can't remember) it was $199.00 or so, and I remember thinking that was a total steal.

I was a season ticket holder(Seahawks) about 15 years ago and back then tickets were $35, parking $15, plus the traffic nightmare getting home, so the comfort and better ability to watch the games at home on TV for a bit over $10 a week was a sweet deal.

It is getting expensive, which nobody likes.

I remember when I first got it, 7-8 seasons ago(can't remember) it was $199.00 or so, and I remember thinking that was a total steal.

I was a season ticket holder(Seahawks) about 15 years ago and back then tickets were $35, parking $15, plus the traffic nightmare getting home, so the comfort and better ability to watch the games at home on TV for a bit over $10 a week was a sweet deal.

It was alot cheaper than that, wasnt it? I thought when I first got it 10 years ago it was like 130 bucks.

Yes it is expensive..... throw another 100 (Unless it has went up) for the HD/Superfan (really pisses me off that I have to pay extra for the HD) package and I'm dropping between 350-400 for the season. It seems like a lot...... but for 4 months of entertainment 100 bucks doesn't seem that much to watch any game I want (the alternative is to watch the Cards ) every Sunday. You will spend more then that going to a sports bar 4 times during the season.

I have DirecTV and get regular emails from them:

The early discount gives you a savings of $20, but it includes a free Super Fan package.

The season starts on September 7, and only NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ gives you access to up to 14 out-of-market games every Sunday. You'll get full coverage of your favorite teams, plus all the features of SuperFan® for FREE—a $99 value.

So if you are on the fence about getting it, the cost is five payments of $53.80 and you DO get the SF package for free, including the Red Zone channel and the games in HD (I believe).

I really can't justify spending the $250.00 this year for the ticket with just building a house and having other more important things I could be putting that $250.00 towards. I called two different reps trying to get some sort of deal. They're normally pretty good about giving you a discount if they know you are serious about canceling....they're not budging this year. So I canceled it. I miss it already.

Actually just called them a few weeks ago. Yes they were a little harder to crack than usual, but I ended up with $120 of discounts and free SuperFan. I was dead serious about canceling it, but they eventually caved.

I'll easily spend $250 at a bar over the course of a season. When you look at it that way its not that bad....or even compare it to the cost of buying tickets to the game...

You will spend more then that going to a sports bar 4 times during the season.

You spend $60 at a bar on a Sunday afternoon ? :D You are going to the wrong bar. Most have $1-2 specials. 6 beers and a sandwich for me, + tip, and I can get out of a bar on a Sunday for around $25.

I was dropping about $30 a weekend between food and beer at the local sports bar.

Don't you have to add the $250 cost of the NFL Ticket, plus the cost of the food and beer you consume at home, to get a real feel of what you spend on teh NFL Ticket?

$250 NFL Ticket + $10-15 per Sunday (realistic consumption of food and beer at home, assuming you are alone) = $420-505

17 Sundays at bar x $30 = $510.

Looks about the same, and I am not alone in my basement. :wacko:

When I lived in St. Louis, and needed a spot to watch my Eagles, I loved going to Ozzie's and watching the games. 20 TVs with allt he games at once, versus one TV in my basement that I had to constantly have the remote control on overdrive?

I enjoyed the party atmosphere of the bar, and being around fans of all teams doing the same thing as me. The banter, the chatter...now that I think about it, I really miss it.

Can anyone tell me more about the Super Fan package. I would like to get the Sunday ticket but did not want to spend $250.00. However, if the SF package gives you a lot of extra's it may be worth it, especially if I can watch the Redskind in HD every week.

P.S. Hey Keg, how much cover charge would you pay to come over and watch the Eagles in HD? :wacko:

Can anyone tell me more about the Super Fan package. I would like to get the Sunday ticket but did not want to spend $250.00. However, if the SF package gives you a lot of extra's it may be worth it, especially if I can watch the Redskind in HD every week.

P.S. Hey Keg, how much cover charge would you pay to come over and watch the Eagles in HD? :wacko:

Here ya go: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...?assetId=900045

The coolest thing that I see is being able to watch up to 8 games on one screen.

I have DirecTV and get regular emails from them:

The early discount gives you a savings of $20, but it includes a free Super Fan package.

So if you are on the fence about getting it, the cost is five payments of $53.80 and you DO get the SF package for free, including the Red Zone channel and the games in HD (I believe).

Are you sure about getting the free SF if you order by July 31? The website says it's an extra $99 - I want to order the ticket but not for $368

Thank god for DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket. This way I'm not stuck watching those stank ass Redskins every friggin week.

P.S. Hey Keg, how much cover charge would you pay to come over and watch the Eagles in HD? :D

When the Boys aren't playing.... I switchover to the RedZone channel. It basicly does the channel surfing for you. And it has no commericals. It also includes the HD games. And I'm not sure, but I think the fantasy updates are also part of the package. You plug in your players (up to 18 I believe) and anytime they do something it shows a message at the bottom of your screen (very cool :wacko: ). There is one more channel that displays like 8 games at once.

Welll worth the 100 bucks IMO...

My alternative is to watch the 49ers and Raiders when they're not blacked out.... Easy decision. Not to mention, I used to spend $250 in a weekend at the bar, not to mention what I would spend for an entire football season.

Still, I am with you as far as getting frustrated with DirecTV. I wish there was a way to just buy the game or two that you want to watch each week, since I end up watching probably less than five minutes of half the games that are on. Either that, or I wish there was a way to just purchase the red-zone channel by itself, without the rest of the ticket package. I had that last year, and found myself watching that channel more than anything else. It's hard to justify the extra $100, on top of the $250, though. I'll probably skip it this year, but still get the ticket.

So does Direct TV decide what games will be HD? Not sure I like that.

Normally all of the games except 1 or 2 each week are broadcast in HD on the NFL Ticket Superfan package. As discussed previously, you must pay the extra $100 on top of the $250 for the Sunday ticket to get the games in HD though.

I don't think this has to do with Directv as much as it has to do with there's not a network (CBS/FOX) HD Truck at that game to broadcast it in HD.

Edited by myhousekey

For the price of a single game for my family, probably less, I get 16 Charger games here in DC. I can't think of a better deal. Hanging at home with my wife and kids, watching my favorite team and then MY choice of the second game instead of what the network rams me with.

I get tired of multiple micro-compressions of the dorsal posterior spine as much as the next guy, but The Ticket serves me well and I am greatfull to have the option.

They'll get me again this year, but not without a fight on the price. I have gotten them down in price and free superfan the last 2 years. I am about ready to make that call again.

For those on the fence or not in the know, Super Fan is a must have compliment to the actual games. A fantasy junkies fix for sure.

If I lived outside the home broadcast area of my team, I'm pretty sure that I'd consider the Ticket a 100% necessity as well.

Living IN that area, it's pretty rare that I get stuck with 2 or 3 other complete dogcrap games, though it does happen. So in my case, it's the occasional jaunt to the bar (where I might go anyway during a game day just to get some grub and a Bloody) vs $250. Another huge factor is that my wife and I often spend a weekend, sometimes two, each month away from home visiting family. Add that up and instead of paying $250 for 17 weeks, suddenly it's $250 for 11 or 12 weeks at most - at least half of which I would've been just fine with the broadcast games. So I'd REALLY paying $250 for about 6 weeks or so. Suddenly it appears to be less of a deal. And if I REALLY wanted to see a game, I have friend with the Ticket - so odds are in most weeks I can skip the bar scene that is a bit more expensive and bring over a twelver and pay for the pizza.

Just my thought process for not renewing. Mileage varies.