[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Stanton

Goldsheet

I don't expect this to be a very popular subject that draws a ton of attention but all opinions are welcome.

Drew Stanton seems to be the future at qb for the lions. Kitna has I'm guessing a season or possibly less as the starter before he gets the hook for Stanton. We all know about the weapons in Detroit and with Martz gone I think that bodes well for a young qb trying to learn a more conventional nfl system. I think Martz departure will speed up his development. I own Kitna in my dynasty and feel like I'm going to have to use a relatively early pick on Stanton in my upcoming rookie draft if I want to ensure I lock him up (probably a late 2nd). DS was inconsistent at times in college but he showed good mobility and leadership skills that I think could make him a productive nfl qb. I like the idea of a smith, johnson, williams core to build around.

Am I being overly optimistic on Stantons outlook?

What, no love for Dan Orlovsky as the future of the franchise at QB?

I think if there were any love for Orlovsky, Stanton wouldn't be there.

I took Stanton last year in my dynasty league specifically because of Martz and how the talk was Stanton had some bad mechanics but Martz was going to tear him down and rebuild him. With Martz gone, I have no idea what that will do to Drew now.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

He's had a strange history with the team already. Last season Martz changed his mechanics and even how he held the ball, then he got hurt and they shut him down for the year preventing him from working out with the team. That didn't make much sense to me. Then Martz left and he's trying to get his mechanics straightened out.

It's not clear how he's doing, but like Chavez said they didn't get anyone new.

I'd like to wait and see how he does in pads but I'd pick him up, he'll probably be cheap and could be the starting QB. With WR's like the ones they have he's worth owning.

I actually like what Detroit is doing now (it feels weird to say that). They re-signed Foster and drafted a LT to protect the QB. They drafted a workhorse RB and have a nice stable of WR's. I think Stanton could be fantasy relevant as early as the 2009 season. If Kitna struggles, I see Stanton starting by week 5 this year.

Stanton could be a nice gem in dynasty leagues if he's available.

I don't expect this to be a very popular subject that draws a ton of attention but all opinions are welcome.

Drew Stanton seems to be the future at qb for the lions. Kitna has I'm guessing a season or possibly less as the starter before he gets the hook for Stanton. We all know about the weapons in Detroit and with Martz gone I think that bodes well for a young qb trying to learn a more conventional nfl system. I think Martz departure will speed up his development. I own Kitna in my dynasty and feel like I'm going to have to use a relatively early pick on Stanton in my upcoming rookie draft if I want to ensure I lock him up (probably a late 2nd). DS was inconsistent at times in college but he showed good mobility and leadership skills that I think could make him a productive nfl qb. I like the idea of a smith, johnson, williams core to build around.

Am I being overly optimistic on Stantons outlook?

I actually like what Detroit is doing now (it feels weird to say that). They re-signed Foster and drafted a LT to protect the QB. They drafted a workhorse RB and have a nice stable of WR's. I think Stanton could be fantasy relevant as early as the 2009 season. If Kitna struggles, I see Stanton starting by week 5 this year.

I think Cherilus has been widely regarded thus far as an RT. And he appears to have, at the very least, questionable off the field decision making. Dizon also has previous, off field concerns. I'm not sold on Kevin Smith either. AND I think Stanton will be a bust. AND it's still Matt Millen.

And it's the Lions.

(Go Pack Go)

:wacko:

It's nice to see your post isn't clouded by any bias. :wacko:

I think Cherilus has been widely regarded thus far as an RT. And he appears to have, at the very least, questionable off the field decision making. Dizon also has previous, off field concerns. I'm not sold on Kevin Smith either. AND I think Stanton will be a bust. AND it's still Matt Millen.

And it's the Lions.

(Go Pack Go)

:D

I could care less if Cherilus, or any NFL player, is reading Micheal Jackson's book "How to run a daycare" in his free time. As long as they show up to play on Sunday, and avoid suspension, I don't care what their off field decision making is.

And yes, it's Millen, that's why I am self administering a drug test for publicly admitting to liking their offseason moves this year.

And it's the Lions.

(Go Pack Go)

Nothing like a purely unbiased opinion...! :D

Word out of OTA's was his passes look terrible and he has reverted to old ways. The Lions OC said he closed his eyes when he threw. If he can work out his problems he has a lot of upside.

I do have him on 2 dynasty teams so I have kept pace.

Well, the Packer backing was actually just a logical conclusion. It's like an avalanche... I could just see my post headed that way and gaining momentum. Almost like I had no choice.

I feel like with the exception possibly of Dizon, the Lions went after the guys they wanted in this draft, and therefore, wound up with.... the guys they (Millen!) wanted and I just don't think they're all that spectacular.

Stanton... I've never been high on him. He suffered from a terminal case of bad decision making in college. Why would that change? It's not like he's had more than one OC, a first OC that completely reworked his technique, an injury history, and someone as good as Jon Kitna to beat out for the starting job... I mean c'mon... he's gold Jerry, gold.

I have to say I'm a little surprised how many of you have chimed in. I didn't think at this point in July many people would care to discuss the backup qb in detroit.

I like it.

He's certainly a project stash on the roster type pick. I think if I can get him with a late 2nd or early 3rd I'm going to take a flyer with tempered expectations. Thanks for the input.

I have to say I'm a little surprised how many of you have chimed in. I didn't think at this point in July many people would care to discuss the backup qb in detroit.

I like it.

He's certainly a project stash on the roster type pick. I think if I can get him with a late 2nd or early 3rd I'm going to take a flyer with tempered expectations. Thanks for the input.

If it's football... you can bring it here any time of year.

I like it.

I've had him since last season. In another league drafted him this season in the 16th. Any QB throwing to Roy, Calvin and Furrey has a lot of value.

He was a rookie last year. You can draft him in a rookie draft this year? How does that work? Did he go undrafted?

To be honest, I don't know what to think of Stanton. I did like what I seen of Orlovsky though, short as it was. I have no idea what way the Lions would go if Kitna was injured, but my guess would be Orlovsky, seemed pretty smart, didn't look lost in the offense to me which was no easy task.

I like Stanton a lot. He literally made chicken salad out of chicken #### when he was at MSU - his talent almost single handedly was responsible for the prolific numbers he put up when he wasn't injured - and he took a beating there.

The guy understands the game and was able to succeed surrounded by players who were overmatched on a regular basis. I think that talent carries over into the bigs well - he's already used to throwing into small windows and having to put the ball into good spots. He reads Ds well, and he can make all the throws as well as feather the ball when required.

The biggest plus is that he didn't get thrown into the fire immediately. He's had a chance to learn the pro game progressively.

I like his chances a lot - especially given the help he'll get from that receiving corps. I could seeing him possibly winning the starting job in training camp this year. Kitna is a great second string QB, and Orlovsky just hasn't shown enough of skill transfer to the bigs. I'm looking for potentially big things from Stanton.

Edited by Bronco Billy

First of all, George Foster is terrible. When he's not playing matador, he's putting the Lions offense in the hole with a false start penalty. Second, Cherilus is a RT, when he moved to LT in college he struggled. He's pretty much your classic mauler run blocking tackle that lacks the quickness to pass block. That pick, with Martz gone, along with a workhorse style back in Kevin Smith pretty much points to the Lions wanting to grind games out on the ground. If Stanton does play, he'll be asked to be a game manager, nothing more.

I'm not convinced Stanton has the talent to be more than that in the NFL. The drunken scramble playmaking he showed in college will get him killed in the NFL...hell, it got him killed at MSU. I don't think Stanton has the accuracy to get the ball to those WRs on a consistent basis.

And it's the Lions.

(Go Pack Go)

Nothing like a purely unbiased opinion...! :D

Pack fan or not, Sturphy is hardly going out on a limb here.