[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arena Football

Footballjoe

I have never been one to watch Arena Football except on a few occiasions and for a very short time. However, this past weekend and last night I happen to catch it while flipping the channels. I must admit I really enjoyed it. It seems like play after play brought some kind of excitement. I know a lot of these guys did not make it in the NFL but it seems like there is some good talent out there. I especially liked the catches the recievers were making while crashing into the walls. And what about the kickoff that bounced around on the support rails only to be picked up by the kickoff team and returned for a TD, not to mention the 60 or so points scored in one quarter. These games were full of action. I know many of you have probably been watching for a while but just wanted to give my 2 cents.

I agree Joe...very exciting games (the end of the Philly/New York game this weekend was awesome). I mean, teams have the chance to score on every play. That makes it exciting. Now, if only defenses could make a stop...

I went to a AFL game here in DEN with a buddy as a birthday present to him. While I agree that the action was virtually non-stop (not necessarily a good things, it barely resembles tradional football), the marketing was aimed at 14 year olds. Every time there was a break in the action, rap blared at an eardrum busting decible and all sorts of goofy acts from break dancing to performance teams to stunt biking took place.

By the time half time rolled around, because the game was such a cartoon of the actual game of football and in order to save what hearing we had left, we actual walked out of the game and went to a bar to drink & have a cigar.

It's definitely not a game for football purists, and they actively drive away customers older than 30.

I have never got into AFL. I think it may be because I don't know who half the players are, or half the rules (which is my own fault). There is no MN team which makes it a little harder to get into.

Heck, is weird as it sounds, maybe an AFL FFB league would spark some interest in the league. An appetizer before the main course.

I have never got into AFL. I think it may be because I don't know who half the players are, or half the rules (which is my own fault). There is no MN team which makes it a little harder to get into.

Heck, is weird as it sounds, maybe an AFL FFB league would spark some interest in the league. An appetizer before the main course.

Monday morning thread..."All I need is 6 TD passes and my RB to score 3 TD's and for his WR to score less than 50 points..."

Tuesday morning threads..."I put up 336 points this week...and STILL lost!!"

:wacko:

What the heck...I'm game for anything!

I went to a AFL game here in DEN with a buddy as a birthday present to him. While I agree that the action was virtually non-stop (not necessarily a good things, it barely resembles tradional football), the marketing was aimed at 14 year olds. Every time there was a break in the action, rap blared at an eardrum busting decible and all sorts of goofy acts from break dancing to performance teams to stunt biking took place.

By the time half time rolled around, because the game was such a cartoon of the actual game of football and in order to save what hearing we had left, we actual walked out of the game and went to a bar to drink & have a cigar.

It's definitely not a game for football purists, and they actively drive away customers older than 30.

that sounds exactly like an NBA game experience, NBA doesn't seem to be alienating the over 30 crowd

FBJ you know I have followed it. As long as you can understand going into it that your not seeing traditional football it's great. That is were most people get sidetracked. You are watching a different game. It's not so much that the AFL is trying to be the NFL, they are not. It's that the people watch expecting to see the NFL.

It really is an affordable thing to go to live. You can get cheap seats (at least you could when I was going to games) for under or around $10. I can take my kids to several games a year on that where I can't in the NFL.

Definitely a fun product for the offseason. I admittedly watched an entire game this weekend. One of my all-time favorite college athletes, Jason Shelley was being covered by Isiah Trufant (Marcus' 5'2" little brother). Fun stuff.