[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rudi Johnson

Bachi Boy

What do you guys think of Rudi Johnson this year? Up until last season, this guy was a monster. He was consistent in getting your fantasy squad good numbers each week.

2006: 1400+ yards and 12 TD's

2005: 1550+ yards and 12 TD's

2004: 1500+ yards and 12 TD's

2003: 1000+ yards and 9 TD's (starting only 5 games)

He is a FA in my contract/auction league this year, and I am hoping to take a flyer on him as a buy low candidate. I am not sure where Kenny Watson fits into the picture in Cincy. I would like to hear your opinions on him.

I know RJ was battling injuries and all last year, but I frankly don't know how to be optimistic about a guy who averaged under 3 yds per carry. I like the guy and am pulling for him, but given the pounding he's taken, the horrible numbers from last season, and the brutal schedule this year, I think he's done as a starting fantasy back. A few months from now, he may be done as a starting NFL back.

Rudi, during his best years, was never about speed or finesse. Last year he went from the toughest guy in the NFL to bring down to the easiest. He dropped weight last year to gain speed, but lost that knack for gaining an extra yard or two after the hit. That with some hamstring injury troubles both for Rudi and general injuries to the o-line didn't make for a good year.

Now, he's supposedly healthy again. The line is healthy again. He gained back the weight he lost. The Bengals don't appear to be willing to give Watson the ball full time, Perry can't stay on the field, and Irons is coming back from a torn ACL and will begin the year on the PUP. He will get the opportunity to carry the bulk of the load.

Yes, he has a bad rushing schedule, but the Bengals always do. Play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year every year, and that will happen. With 1400 career attempts and 28 years old, I don't think he's washed up. He's being taken too late. I'd be happy to have him as my #2 in a redraft. Probably look to unload him after a good year in keepers and dynasty.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Thank you to all who have replied. I like the feedback I have received. My contract league has a $1,000 cap. I cut Maroney ($300/3years) and Marvin Harrison ($160/2years) and have about $600 to spend in FA. I am hoping to get Maroney back for a little cheaper, and I was looking at taking a $100 chance on Rudi.

I might go to $50 or 75 on him and trade him for a future rookie pick if he explodes at the beginning of the season.

I am cautiously optimistic about Rudi this year, though he might be fighting an uphill climb with his age and mileage. But as a 5th round pick, and with Watson being a fairly easy to get handcuff I do see potential value there. Could be a steal.

Rudi will be a top 5 back thi year.

You are more than welcome to join my league and donate some money this season.

I am cautiously optimistic about Rudi this year, though he might be fighting an uphill climb with his age and mileage. But as a 5th round pick, and with Watson being a fairly easy to get handcuff I do see potential value there. Could be a steal.

Those are my thoughts as well, but I haven't really paid close attention to his situation this offseason. My strategy is to burn others cap space (as that is everyone's strategy) and I am hoping he flies under the radar long enough for me to get a pretty decent deal on him. I want to be in a position where it will be a low risk high reward.

that was a pretty horrific season. i have a hard time believing a guy with as little burst and with no receiving ability can bounce back significantly enough to be more than a 3rd fantasy RB or possibly low end #2. especially given that there are other RBs in the mix and Kenny Watson showed he's capable of doing a decent job.

i say he's done as a serious contributor to any fantasy team.

He's not my style. I like to pad up with "sure points" and then gamble with some high risk/reward guys. He's neither this year.

You can't bank on him like you used to (especially with the number of guys waiting for carries on the bench), and he's never been the type to shock anyone with long runs, or monster games/seasons.

So I see a 70% chance that we get more of 2007, or less. And a 30% chance that he'll return to his "sure and steady" form with 90 yards and TD, with no catches.

Barring injury, nobody on the depth chart is going to take Rudi's job this year. Perry cannot stay healthy and was used as a complementary back to Rudi for the brief time he was healthy back in 2005. Watson returned to 3rd down duty when Rudi returned from injury in 2007. Irons might be able to do it next year after he gets off the PUP.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I hear the optimistic talk and wonder if I'm being too hard on the guy. And then that cold hard stat slaps me again in the face -- 2.9 ypc -- and I snap out of it.

If RJ comes back this year to be a top 10 fantasy back, he deserves to be comeback player of the decade.

I would take a chance on a rookie RB over Rudi this year. Not worth the risk in the top 3 rounds.

:wacko:

Rudi will be available in the 6th and 7th rounds in many leagues. The question is whether he'll be a good value at that point. It's a valuable pick, so it comes down to whether you believe Rudi is a complete waste of space, or whether he can return to about 1,000 yards and 10 TDs.

I think, in the 6th round, he presents really good value as a #3 RB. If you target him there, you can really focus on other positions in the first five rounds and still get good RB depth.

:wacko:

Rudi will be available in the 6th and 7th rounds in many leagues. The question is whether he'll be a good value at that point. It's a valuable pick, so it comes down to whether you believe Rudi is a complete waste of space, or whether he can return to about 1,000 yards and 10 TDs.

I think, in the 6th round, he presents really good value as a #3 RB. If you target him there, you can really focus on other positions in the first five rounds and still get good RB depth.

I can't believe I am going to agree with a packer backer but... you are right, for the position you will be able to get him he should be a good value but I would not move up to get him. as a 3rd/4th RB you could do alot worse for depth. and also if he starts off strong his name recognition could get you excellent trade value early in the year.