[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jolly St. Nick errr Johnny

tazinib1

Packers DT Johnny Jolly faces felony drug charges after allegedly possessing at least 200 grams of codeine.

Looks like Jolly was sipping on some sizzurp, or potentially trying to sell it. The arrest happened earlier this week. Jolly, a key defensive piece for Green Bay who was being counted on to help replace Corey Williams, is rehabbing from shoulder surgery. He started seven games and had 21 tackles and a sack last season. Jolly will be in court on July 22. Jul. 12 - 11:03 pm et

Source: Houston Chronicle

:wacko:

Edited by tazinib1

Well, codeine isn't on the banned substance list.

link

The Chronicle story being used as a source is very light on details:

July 12, 2008, 10:53PM

Packers player with Houston ties faces felony drug charges

Johnny Ray Jolly played at Forest Brook High, Texas A&M

By JEMIMAH NOONOO

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Ray Jolly Jr. is scheduled to appear in court July 22 after being arrested last week in Houston on felony drug possession charges, according to police records.

Jolly, 25, was arrested July 8 in Houston for a possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Harris County District Attorney's Office. He's free on $10,000 bail, according to court records.

Jolly, a former Forest Brook High School star, played at Texas A&M University before being selected by the Packers in the 2006 NFL draft.

Jolly and his attorney, Houston-based Brian Overstreet, couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.

Late Saturday, a Packers official provided a statement to the Houston Chronicle that read: "The Packers are aware of the report involving Johnny Jolly. This is a legal matter and we still are in the process of gathering information. We have no further comment at this time.''

The spokeswoman declined to elaborate on possible disciplinary action for Jolly, if any.

Doesn't say anything about his dealing the substance, and with his bail being only $10,000 given that he's got the financial means of a pro football player, it doesn't seem like the authorities consider him much of a threat.

Edited by Bronco Billy

That quantity just has to be at dealing level. No one needs that much for any legit reason.

So you're saying that he's going to be charged as a dealer? Where do you get any evidence to support that? Given the draconian nature of the drug laws in our country, and that he has the financial wherewithal of a pro football player, how does he get assigned $10,000 bond if that is the case?

So you're saying that he's going to be charged as a dealer? Where do you get any evidence to support that? Given the draconian nature of the drug laws in our country, and that he has the financial wherewithal of a pro football player, how does he get assigned $10,000 bond if that is the case?

That amount will likely cause he to be charged with possession with intent to sell... Don't have a link, but asked my law school friend...

:wacko:

Dear Justin Harrell, please be what Lord Ted thinks you can be...

Maybe he just had a bad cough. :wacko:

I think a viable and reasonable defense would be that he got hooked on it during the rehabilitation of his shoulder. Kind of what Favre went through. I'd be curious where he got the codeine also. Did he buy mass quantities by himself in Mexico, or he is part of an operation producing lean?

Like I said, there's a lot of details missing here and people jumping to conclusions without anything to back it up other than speculation.

I've heard the Packers brass talking this off-season about how they want to emphasize improvement on the D-Line. Will definitely be interesting to see how this is handled. I just drafted Cullen Jenkins in AOTAOP... I hope this doesn't foreshadow a move of Jenkins from DE to the interior. That's right, it's all about me. :wacko:

Isn't this basically the same thing Terrence Kiel (another Aggie) was involved with?

In September 2006, Kiel was arrested for multiple drug charges including possession, possession with the intent to sell, and transportation of a controlled substance. Police came to the Chargers practice facility and arrested him. He was released after posting a $1,550,000 bond.

In January 2007, he was cited for publicly urinating outside a San Diego nightclub, but the city dropped the charge. In February 2007, he pleaded guilty to felony and misdemeanor drug charges for shipping codeine-based cough syrup to Texas. He was released by the Chargers after his plea. The felony charge was dropped after he volunteered for 175 hours and underwent counseling for gambling.

On July 4, 2008, San Diego police reported that Kiel had died in a car crash. He was driving back home from a party thrown by Chargers player Stephen Cooper when his 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo hit a wall and he was thrown from the car.

The autopsy report stated that Kiel died due to mechanical asphyxia. His funeral was held at hometown Lufkin, Texas.

Edited by myhousekey

And here's what I was talking about:

In September 2006, Kiel was arrested for multiple drug charges including possession, possession with the intent to sell, and transportation of a controlled substance. Police came to the Chargers practice facility and arrested him. He was released after posting a $1,550,000 bond.

Jolly, 25, was arrested July 8 in Houston for a possession of at least 200 grams of codeine, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Harris County District Attorney's Office. He's free on $10,000 bail, according to court records.

Being charged with dealing would engender a bond in the neighborhood of $1M+. Jolly was freed on $10,000 bail. That doesn't indicate that Jolly's probably not going to be charged with dealing?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Couple things...

1) He was probably just busted with it in his possession. Much different than if he was busted shipping it or in the act of selling it.

2) 200 grams of codeine is an insane amount. Possessing more than 200 grams but less than 400 grams of Penalty Group 1 (hard drugs like heroine, cocaine, LSD etc.) is a first degree felony. That's no less than 5 years in jail, up to life in prison, and a fine not to exceed $10k. Codeine is in Group IV which would receive slightly less punishment.

Don't know of Jolly's past but if Jolly had no priors and there was no evidence of distribution, $10k bail sounds reasonable. Kiel's bail was $160k but there was clear evidence of distribution (ie. the actual friggin' FedEx package) and he had priors.

Edited by kingfish247

And here's what I was talking about:

Being charged with dealing would engender a bond in the neighborhood of $1M+. Jolly was freed on $10,000 bail. That doesn't indicate that Jolly's probably not going to be charged with dealing?

I'm pretty sure that $1M+ figure for Kiel's bail is bogus. Kiel's Wiki page says $1.55M bond but the source article it links to doesn't mention any $ figure... Sept. 2006 San Diego Tribune article

A zero was probably added there then eventually corrected because the actual bail was $160k... October 2006 ESPN article

According to the Green Bay Press Gazette, Packers DT Johnny Jolly could face up to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of possessing at least 200 grams of codeine.

Apparently the cops found him and some guys drinking sizzurp in a car outside a club, along with a little Josh Gordon and semi-auto pistols.

Link? That would change my position significantly.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...0055/1058/PKR01

Officers of a specialized unit were patrolling a parking lot of a nightclub known for narcotics and weapons violations when they approached Jolly’s vehicle at 1:10 a.m. July 8 at 3409 Cavalcade St. on Houston’s near north side.

Police heard loud music coming from the vehicle and saw four people inside. When asked if there weapons inside, the driver said yes. Police found a semi-automatic pistol on the floorboards. A 21-year-old man was charged with misdemeanor unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

During a search, police found a bag of Josh Gordon on a 22-year-old man, who was charged with misdemeanor possessing Josh Gordon. A fourth person was released and not charged.

Note to self....stay out of Houston nightclub parking lots known for narcotics and weapons violations....

Edited by myhousekey

Link? That would change my position significantly.

I think they'd have to prove intent to sell or give away. Being the owner of the caar and having it your posession isn't enough in my opinion. Maybe it is in Texas Things are different down there. :wacko:

Also

Did the police really have probable cause? Is sitting in a car at night really enough to stand up in court?

Edited by Randall