[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Smith

ROYALWITCHEESE

6'1, 217. He's a tall "glider" that has good size, speed, and vision. Sort of a Marcus Allen look to his stride. Pretty good pass blocker and should see some 3rd down work as well. Can get to the second level on speed, or one of the many moves at his disposal. Ran a 4.4, but does he have the home run speed? Highlights would suggest he does. Great in the hole with moves and finding the crease. Concern with this guy was his heavy workload last year, although his style isn't really that of a punishing RB that takes unecessary hits. Played in a barely average conference. Some think he left a year too soon. Playing behind a mediocre line that is transitioning from heavy pass to heavy run. Is behind Tatum Bell on the depth chart, but it seems that he will claim the starting spot before the season. Some love him, some hate him. I am decidely right in the middle, enamored with his college play, but skeptical of his ability to be great on this level. Although he does have the skill package to succeed, will the team around him allow him to realize his potential soon enough?

Thoughts on the rookie?

Well, he's worth a good look, that's for sure.

I am a big supporter of good o-line = good RB. In Detroit, I would say their o-line is pretty low-average. It should be better in the new system, but it's hard to say. Another negative would be his rookiness, as you pointed out. You basically gamble on their ability step up - something that's hard to gage until you see them take their first attempts.

On the plus side, he probably won't see heavy fronts so long as Roy Williams is running around and Calvin Johnson is developing. (he's a good bet to better if you ask me). That should open things up for him.

I view Tatum as a positive too - in the sense that he has someone to beat (motivation), someone to watch, and someone to keep his legs fresh should he get the job.

Overall, I will gamble on him and pay a decent penny for him my auction. The payoff and upside are there - you always have to prepare for a flop though in these high risk/reward scenarios. We've seen enough of both to teach that lesson.

I took him 5th in a recent rookie dynasty draft (after McFadden, Stewart, Medenhall, Forte) , but not too thrilled about it. He's a prospect/gamble, and I really have no expectations at all.

Pretty much feel the same way.... I took him at 5 or 6 in a dynasty rookie draft too. I don't see Bell as Rudi II, so I think Smith has a shot at being a 3rd-4th RB this year, but he still has to deal with an unsettled offesne behind an O Line that is wll below average. The fact that the Detroit line is sub par amy actully help his playing time, as they look to fix a bad running game with a change at RB, and how many times have we seen that happen? The RB always gets more blame when behind a bad O line than he should. I've been watching the Jets for a long time....

Overall, I will gamble on him and pay a decent penny for him my auction. The payoff and upside are there - you always have to prepare for a flop though in these high risk/reward scenarios. We've seen enough of both to teach that lesson.

Guys like him and Forte etc are worth a gamble late/cheap in a draft. Typically at least 1 rook RB does well and often 1 or 2 others will surprise to one degree or other (eg Grant last year).

Smith's FF situation is a tough one.

I don't know whether it's my low opinion of Tinker Bell that has me bullish on Smith's prospects or if Smith is really that good. Considering the fact that they're changing to ZBS, I can see the entire offense struggling at least at the start of this season until everyone adapts.

Another problem I see is that they may be forced to abandon the run game quite often this year which will bring any Lions RB down a notch. They intend to establish the run... blah blah blah. Everyone wants to do that in preseason. The reality is that the Lions' D isn't much better than last year and they play in a tough division.

I think Smith probably won't do much to start the season. He then might be startable as an iffy RB2 after the first 6 weeks or so.

PS I know you shouldn't get too wrapped up in these but I looked up his 40 time and it was 4.6. That's slower than Dayne. :wacko:

i thought 4.4 sounded fast for KS. i know i saw him listed at 4.55 somewhere. his body-type gives me concern. he looks tall and lean. not a good recipe for health in the NFL.

i like kevin smith a lot, he might even put up the best fantasy #s of any rookie back. martz is out of detroit and the lions are going to use a similar zone blocking to what kevin smith is used to from UCF. smith has great vision, i think he is a great value in the later rounds (7-10)

Edited by capostatus

My bad then. That's what I get for trusting these freakin draft-nik web sites.

Don't worry about it. Smith doesn't play at nearly 4.43 speed. He's got relatively slow acceleration and is more of a glider. He'll be much better running stretch plays than he will be exploding into a seam. He may have a tough time generating enough for himself in DET to be effective.

Not talented enough to contribue this year, if ever.

Whoa. That is a bit extreme. He has the best vision in this draft class. I also think he has better moves than any other draftee outside of Charles. True his speed leaves a little something to be desired, but you don't run for 2500 yards without the talent to contribute.

6'1 and close to 220, with great vision has to account for some contribution, no?

When I watch highlights of KSmith he doesn't look like an NFL Caliber RB. He's too lean and runs too upright. I just envision the kid getting killed at the pro level. He might be listed at 217, but he sure doesn't play like it. He will probably start by default, but I wouldn't want him as anything more than a backup RB on my fantasy squad.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

When I watch highlights of KSmith he doesn't look like an NFL Caliber RB. He's too lean and runs too upright. I just envision the kid getting killed at the pro level. He might be listed at 217, but he sure doesn't play like it. He will probably start by default, but I wouldn't want him as anything more than a backup RB on my fantasy squad.

I agree....Eric Dickerson sucked!!!!

Just kidding...but really, lets not judge him until at least a few games are under his belt. I think the will be a decent back...nothing special...but decent...with a possibility of greatness.

Whoa. That is a bit extreme. He has the best vision in this draft class. I also think he has better moves than any other draftee outside of Charles. True his speed leaves a little something to be desired, but you don't run for 2500 yards without the talent to contribute.

6'1 and close to 220, with great vision has to account for some contribution, no?

First of all, vision in the college game is the most overrated aspect of prospect. It is similar to vision as a college point guard. Literally hundreds of college running backs have good vision, as do point guards. This is why you see great, household name, college point guards that can carry their teams to or through the NCAA tournament, and then they end up playing in Italy and aren't even mentioned on draft day. I don't care how big you are, the one thing that time has proven is that you have to have burst to succeed in the NFL. Smith has very little. I was intrigued by his size so I watched a few of his games on tape, but I honestly was hoping to come away more impressed. He is a nice college player whose skiills don't translate very well to the NFL. He doesn't run big and isn't fast or quick enough to run small. I had heard that he was in the mold of Ronnie Brown, but if you watch the tape, you will see that he doesn't run with either the burst or tenacity. He may contribue out of necessity but doesn't have the talent to have a ton of upside.

First of all, vision in the college game is the most overrated aspect of prospect. It is similar to vision as a college point guard. Literally hundreds of college running backs have good vision, as do point guards. This is why you see great, household name, college point guards that can carry their teams to or through the NCAA tournament, and then they end up playing in Italy and aren't even mentioned on draft day. I don't care how big you are, the one thing that time has proven is that you have to have burst to succeed in the NFL. Smith has very little. I was intrigued by his size so I watched a few of his games on tape, but I honestly was hoping to come away more impressed. He is a nice college player whose skiills don't translate very well to the NFL. He doesn't run big and isn't fast or quick enough to run small. I had heard that he was in the mold of Ronnie Brown, but if you watch the tape, you will see that he doesn't run with either the burst or tenacity. He may contribue out of necessity but doesn't have the talent to have a ton of upside.

You sure about that? :

Good initial quickness to and through the hole. ... Flashes the explosiveness to attack the line of scrimmage, but his main asset is his vision and ability to pick and slide laterally along the line of scrimmage until he finds the hole. ... Good patience to allow his blocks to develop. ... Rare acceleration for a back of his size. ... Questions about his 40-yard dash time will be key, but Smith consistently demonstrates the sneaky football speed to out-run his opponents to the flanks despite their seemingly having the proper angle.

2nd among rookies in the 3-cone drill (a measure of quickness and change of direction:

Rice, Ray 6.65

Smith, Kevin 6.74

Charles, Jamaal 6.80

Forte, Matt 6.84

Hester, Jacob 6.85

Alridge, Anthony 6.88

Choice, Tashard 6.88

Jones, Felix 6.90

Parmele, Jalen 6.96

Forsett, Justin 6.96

Kevin Smith analysis

Funny how some of the same negatives you are saying about Smith, are said about your boy McFadden...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

2nd among rookies in the 3-cone drill (a measure of quickness and change of direction:

Rice, Ray 6.65

Smith, Kevin 6.74

Charles, Jamaal 6.80

Forte, Matt 6.84

Hester, Jacob 6.85

Alridge, Anthony 6.88

Choice, Tashard 6.88

Jones, Felix 6.90

Parmele, Jalen 6.96

Forsett, Justin 6.96

Kevin Smith analysis

Funny how some of the same negatives you are saying about Smith, are said about your boy McFadden...

It's funny how you posted just the positives listed in your link.

Negatives:

Lanky frame that appears better suited to the wide receiver position than running back. ... Thin, long limbs. ... Runs a bit upright and takes unnecessary shots to his body. ... Legitimate questions about the Conference USA level of competition. ... Questionable 40 speed. ... Parlayed one monster season into leaving early for the NFL.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think KSmith has the talent to succeed in the NFL. The only reason we're even talking about him is because of the situation he's fallen into.

It's funny how you posted just the positives listed in your link.

Negatives:

Lanky frame that appears better suited to the wide receiver position than running back. ... Thin, long limbs. ... Runs a bit upright and takes unnecessary shots to his body. ... Legitimate questions about the Conference USA level of competition. ... Questionable 40 speed. ... Parlayed one monster season into leaving early for the NFL.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think KSmith has the talent to succeed in the NFL. The only reason we're even talking about him is because of the situation he's fallen into.

Uh..no. I posted information on what I disagreed with in Seahawks comments. Those negatives are pretty much agreed upon. He is lanky (so is DMC), he runs upright (so does DMC), conference USA is mediocre, people question his 40 (which has already been refuted), and he had a big season. Those are really just uncertainties when you boil it down, other than the upright style...

Just from watching film on him he seems to run too upright, hits the hole pretty good, but doesn't wait for his blockers to engage and doesnt have that break away speed.