[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any news on the health of Antonio Gates?

Someone

Does anybody have any info on the status of Gates?

Is he fully recovered from off-season foot surgery?

Is he ready to go for training camp?

The Huddle has him ranked as the # 3 TE and include these statements in his player profile:

"But he injured his foot which initially was called a dislocated toe but later was revealed to be a torn plantar plate. Gates underwent surgery in February with a recovery time of four to six months. There is no certainty that Gates will be 100% for training camp or even by the start of the season.

The team stance is that he will be ready to play in September at worst case but there he will be a major concern until he actually lines up and turns in a big game. That risk has to drop his draft stock and he’ll be one of the highest risk/reward players this summer. Until he shows up healthy, the best assumption is that he either misses or plays sparingly in the first month of the season and then returns to form. "

Anybody got any info?

I would be careful with Gates. He is going to be a big part of that offense next season, but how soon and how much? He will see little camp and could miss or be limited over the first four games or so of the season. That big toe thingy has killed careers, so I don't think the Chargers are willing to risk it.

In that offense, you have two potential options that you could "handcuff" to Gates if you take a flyer on him. Both Scott Chandler and Legadu Naanee could see a lot of time at the beginning of the season. Both have sticky hands and have been in the system long enough to know what to do. Naanee is a bigger reciever (6-2 / 226) and Chandler is 6-7 / 265 (bigger than Gates who is 6-4 / 260). Chandler, like Gates has the moves of a smaller man, but also like Gates, lacks in the blocking game. Naanee is usable all over the field and has already made big plays for this team. In spring ball, coaches raved about both of them and their reliability in the passing game.

The Chargers have some big contract decisions to face in the next couple of years, one of them is Gates. He was a free agent rookie, and what I am about to say is PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART.

If Chandler and Naanee are able to fill the niche in the passing game that Gates fills now, I could see Gates as the odd man out in the future contract talks. Against the Colts and the Pats in the playoffs, Gates was a shell of himself due to the injury. Let us assume that he was average as a TE because of the injury. The offense still moved the ball as well as they had been. The energence of VJax, addition of Chambers and a cast of solid #2s in the passing game makes this still a very potent offense. Check WR video/slide show

I love Gates and drafted late in the third round last year, but if they are able to have sucess and possibly groom a player that will not command the same price to do his job, could he see fewer balls next year? Turner likes to throw to the WRs. The injury to the big toe has also got to be a long term concern.

If they can trade him, they may! Not this year, but I think it may be a possibility. I would hate it, but I could see it happen. :wacko:

The latest from Chargers.com

Despite this flowery news, I have also heard he could start the season PUP for a game or two. No matter what, I think he still has to be one of the top three or four to go in any draft. So you take a couple low point games from a backup TE at a low scoring position and then get the boost when he gets back. You know once he hits the field, he'll be ready to go and outperform most TEs every Sunday :wacko:

The latest from Chargers.com

Despite this flowery news, I have also heard he could start the season PUP for a game or two. No matter what, I think he still has to be one of the top three or four to go in any draft. So you take a couple low point games from a backup TE at a low scoring position and then get the boost when he gets back. You know once he hits the field, he'll be ready to go and outperform most TEs every Sunday :wacko:

if he starts the season on the PUP then he cant come back after a game or two (has to sit 6 games)